Ford tractor rust repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford tractor rust repair

Customer dropped off his tractor that is used for snow removal. Mostly with a 3 point snow blower attached. Before he bought it was used by a college for snow. The cab frame was rotted completely out one the left side as well as a section of the floor and fenderwell. The cab had sunk down in the front corner about 1-1/5". I just started cutting away to find good metal and then started to rebuild from there. The first pic is looking into the fenderwell. The tube that runs under the floor is completely gone. This is what holds the cab onto the tractor. In the second pic you can see someone added two small plates to try to tie the floor to the fenderwell. They don't do much good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim Tractor (450x800).jpg Views:	2 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	600658

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	43.9 KB ID:	600659
    Last edited by MMW; 08-10-2019, 06:06 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Starting to cut away. The corner where the fenderwell and the door sill meet was rotted also. You can see in the top right of the pic is what is left of the tube after cutting where it connects the cab to the rear axle, just above the large bolt. This was all that could be saved. The good looking tube below that is just an extension from my porta power.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	600661

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.3 KB ID:	600662
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

The tube was 2-3/8 od so probably metric. It had about a 1/8 wall. I replaced it with a 3/16 wall 2x2 tube. Here is the new tube with mount installed and also the fenderwell to door sill repaired. I kept the top of the tube where it was supposed to be and added a 3/8" shim under the mount. I also slid it through the old tube in the back so I did not have to cut apart the mounting bracket. I added a brace from the outer mount plate up the upright tube several inches to spread the load better to the upright. The tube runs from front to back. Stay tuned for more as I progress.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	600665

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	600666
      Last edited by MMW; 08-10-2019, 06:09 PM.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

I'm following with interest. And I really think buddy's lucky too have found you.

I bet he was looking a while as most would have said No. Or priced it so high he left scratching his head at the number quoted him. Could you post a shot from further back. I'd like to see the tractor and the position of the repair area. I'm also going to arm chair an estimate for the repair work if you don't mind. From what I've seen and read from your previous posts, you do quality repairs with affordable prices. From the pictures, the same once again. I'm guessing around 3 days work for a start to finish number, assuming both sides are receiving the same treatment, but you said a couple lol. Keep a strain on and you'll come close I'm sure.

Comment

Here is a few pics from farther away. Top of cab is about 8ft 6" high. I will discuss numbers when job is done. Only doing this side for now. The other side is still a couple years away from this one.

To the new guys, see the fair sign on the inside windshield? Their is one lower also to protect the glass from sparks. You only make that mistake once. Grinding sparks stick to glass like nothing else. You can scrape them off but they still leave an impression where they melt in. The door does not have it because it opens far enough away from the line of sparks. Always be aware of where your sparks are going.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	600690

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	600691

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim tractor 9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	600692
          Last edited by MMW; 08-11-2019, 05:59 AM.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

I use that 3M welding spatter and spark protection paper. It sticks on, does a good job and it’s easy to use, but it’s expensive. Not nearly as expensive as glass though.

Comment

Sparks are no joke when glass is in harms way. Had to repair a door on one of our truck beds a few years back explained to the kid how I wanted the repair done then went on my mary way. He did every thing I told him to do, starting with cutting off the bent hinge with a cutoff wheel. Well the side mirror was in the line of fire (sparks). Our mechanic called me over shortly after he got the truck back. The mirror was black, I don't think any sparks missed it. Now we put fire blankets over all glass before working on the truck.

Comment

Forgot to mention your repair is looking good!

Comment

Thanks for pointing out glass protection.

Comment

Working...
                  X