custom hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom hinges

My wife wanted a new screen door for our little cabin. So we go looking for something that would look nice and I see this carved wood screen door that is just the perfect fit for our location. Spend way too much but she loves it. Get it back to the cabin and wouldn't you know it the screen door hit the the handle on the front door. Just perfect one more thing mickey moused. Who ever hung the door well it's not quite right so this weekend new jamb and trim around the door then I can hang the screen. Well after looking at my hinge choices decided to make my own. First started with a picture of the California flag and a pair of 2" hinges. I'll let the pictures finish the story.
    Last edited by Oldgrandad; 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Here's the almost finished hinges I need paint them. Hope to have everything done by Sunday but you all know how home projects go. I'll post pic's of the finished hung screen door, hopefully Monday.
      Last edited by Oldgrandad; 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

1/8 pipe is a wonderful thing.
        I don't think we're supposed to use the P word here due to Ryan's Pigmentophobia situation. We can only use Ryan Safe coatings.
        You're on your own finding Ryan Safe product that is Cal CARB approved.

Latch looking like a Yellowstone Grizzly would be a nice touch since they just went back on the endangered list.

BTW, while the door is still square may I suggest drilling in about 10" from the edges and running 10" of allthread in to hold it to save cussing and rebuilding down line.

Comment

Nice hinges. Show us the installed version when you’re done.

Comment

Last night after the wife saw the hinges she asked if I would make the door handle to match. Not sure how to do that. Suggestions, pics of something in that ballpark would help.
            I will absolutely post pic's of the finished product.

Comment

We always called em privy latches.
              Instead of the nail in hook we cut a plate for the larching bar to fall into that recessed flush into the casing.
              Standing Grizzly split vertically with half on the door and half on the casing could easily accommodate the latchwork.

Comment

How about keeping the bear theme going with the handle

Red lines are meant to be a handle while the bear drawing would be the plates to attach to the door.
                . Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear Door handle.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	600286
                Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Not liken the privy latch, the bears a bit better, I like them facing opposite directions I was leaning towards more bears. A guy I work with suggested a squirrel body climbing up the door and the tail is the grab handle. I like the idea but can't see the execution in my head. Flat overhead profile maybe.

Comment

Hmmm, How about this guy, half on casing, half on door. Pull down on paw to operate privy latch mechanism.

Go all out grab a couple solid state voice modules off ebay and trigger 1 with a PIR to growl "Hi nice to see you" and trigger the second with a contact on the door to say "comon in".

Comment

What about a simple bee hive stuck to the end of a normal handle. Be a bear after the honey theme. But I ain’t no interior decorator either.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        What about a simple bee hive stuck to the end of a normal handle. Be a bear after the honey theme. But I ain’t no interior decorator either.
                        We know Ryan, we've seen your overhauls.

OK, I felt obligated to dig into this latch situation, and after finding one of my spares determined most of the mechanism is inside the door, and only a simple push of a rod is needed to activate the latch. Other latches employing a quarter turn also reside primarily inside the door. Seems simple enough to either push a paw or twist a paw & foreleg.

Comment

No bee hive but I do like that bear pic Franz. Food for thought. Anyway got the door installed. New casing and 2 x 4 trim around the door so the screen won't hit the knob. Caulk and (Ryan's Fav.) PAINT. Just need latch and handle. Last pic I found on line was thinking plasma this guy out add a pull and screw holes and bam door pull. But now I think I'll try that with the bear sitting down waving (Thanks Franz)

Comment

Needs a Goldilox KEEP OUT sign.

Comment

Pretty fancy door.

Comment

Working...
                              X