Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backyard playground

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Backyard playground

    I promised my kids a backyard playground but I'm not sure which project to start any more... I'd rather use waterproof materials than woods... Any suggestions and advice are welcomed!

  • #2

    Comment


    • #3
      Titanium.

      Comment


      • #4
        Google up "playground equipment tubing" It comes in galvanized and plastic coated.

        I'd say give yourself a full day to look over all the results.

        Then cost compare the numbers with the cost of IMC conduit.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is that the best you can come up with? My suggestion was waterproof and kid proof.

          Comment


          • #6
            What you smokin 2bugles?
            Kidproof does NOT exist.

            Next you'll be claiming sharp unbent scissors can be found in a house occupied by a Nurse. We all know a RN can disassemble the final drive on both sides of a D-8 Cat with just scissors and a small hammer. My dalin purloined my small ball peen hammer and stashed it in her desk at the Hospital so she didn't have to use a heal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Uh....nope.

              Comment


              • #8
                How old are the kids and how much do you want to spend. Are you building it your self from scratch or assembling a purchased kit. I built one from scratch for my kids but did the kit for my grand daughter. Both were done on top of turf/real grass, no one ever broke a bone. I think you could build the second one you posted without a lot of trouble.
                Last edited by Oldgrandad; 07-19-2019, 05:32 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not that I care what anybody builds, and freely admitting I once built an electric driven chair plane ride from a car rear end and some Junque, I gotta ask what happened to good old gantry swings and jungle gyms made from a pile of pipe? Can 21st Century kids even operate such devices?

                  Town here had a playground the Lions built from pressure treated lumber, and it had to go because 1 loudmouth idiot was sure little Turdlet was going to be poisoned for life by it. Next town over had $85,000 in a PVC coated playground. It had to be scrapped out because a State grant for $100,000 plus came available. The 5 year old PVC coated play equipment had to be scrapped as part of the deal so no other Town could reuse it.
                  Naturally the new one also has WiFi to keep the plumbing parents happy. Got a 100% replacement water spray park area too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                    Not that I care what anybody builds, and freely admitting I once built an electric driven chair plane ride from a car rear end and some Junque, I gotta ask what happened to good old gantry swings and jungle gyms made from a pile of pipe? Can 21st Century kids even operate such devices?

                    Town here had a playground the Lions built from pressure treated lumber, and it had to go because 1 loudmouth idiot was sure little Turdlet was going to be poisoned for life by it. Next town over had $85,000 in a PVC coated playground. It had to be scrapped out because a State grant for $100,000 plus came available. The 5 year old PVC coated play equipment had to be scrapped as part of the deal so no other Town could reuse it.
                    Naturally the new one also has WiFi to keep the plumbing parents happy. Got a 100% replacement water spray park area too.
                    I know of a couple of young contractors made a lot of easy money wrecking out all the galvy play ground equipment around northern Cal. Same deal, all grant money, old stuff had to be trashed so it couldn't be re-used.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
                      How old are the kids and how much do you want to spend. Are you building it your self from scratch or assembling a purchased kit. I built one from scratch for my kids but did the kit for my grand daughter. Both were done on top of turf/real grass, no one ever broke a bone. I think you could build the second one you posted without a lot of trouble.
                      Kids are 6, 9 and 11. Still considering the budget..
                      Thanks a lot guys, all the answers are very helpful!
                      Last edited by GregoryCromweld; 07-22-2019, 05:21 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It was my titanium suggestion wasn’t it?

                        I knew it.....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          It was my titanium suggestion wasn’t it?

                          I knew it.....
                          Naw, it's not like you said Platinum or palladium or some exotic alloy.
                          I'm pretty sure in 2019 there are Laws mandating employment of a Playground Designer and at least one Playground Engineer, and you probably need a Building Permit and a Foundation Engineer too.
                          By the time you finish engineering, documenting and permitting the kids will be doing post-grad work in a far off college and a Banker will be knocking on the door wanting to talk about calling the Note.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Considering your kids age I like post #2 play area. I'd get 6"round post, 1" rope, and I'd double the height of the climbing wall. I'd try to find the slide on the internet. Get a few buddy's and a 30 pack and have a fun weekend putting it all together. I'd also have the kids help, mine never got a lot of work done but their smiles when they told their friends they built it was priceless.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GregoryCromweld View Post

                              Kids are 6, 9 and 11. Still considering the budget..
                              Thanks a lot guys, all the answers are very helpful!
                              You could take that money and put in a separate account. Then you could regularly have family night and take a trip to the park using that money.
                              Otherwise you may want to check with your homeowners insurance about non family members being injured on homemade equipment. You will be surprised also just how low the actual numbers are on some of the coverage. and if they cancel you your premiums may skyrocket.
                              I prefer to make mine and everyone else's projects but you do need to consider your exposure here. It's a chicken hearted world we live in nowadays and you can't be watching your backyard 24/7.

                              www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                              Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                              Miller WC-115-A
                              Miller Spectrum 300
                              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X