BBQ grate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ grate

Soon Im going to make a BBQ cooker out of an oil drum. It will use wood coals most of the time, but may use charcoal some. I want a removable grate, 3/4 #9 exp. Metal 3' x 3'. Can I get by with 1 inch angle iron or maybe 3/4 square tube for the frame or should I be better off with 1 1/2 angle iron?

I've used 3/4" and 1" angle and 1" square tube. Just depended on what I had at the time. I would think 1 1/2" angle would be a bit excessive, unless you already have it or it's free.

I've used that stuff in big trailer size smokers and smaller stuff like you're talking about down to direct wood fired cooking pits.

You're not using stainless expanded metal, are you?

Comment

I'm planning to use hot rolled steel

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        I've used 3/4" and 1" angle and 1" square tube. Just depended on what I had at the time. I would think 1 1/2" angle would be a bit excessive, unless you already have it or it's free.

I've used that stuff in big trailer size smokers and smaller stuff like you're talking about down to direct wood fired cooking pits.

You're not using stainless expanded metal, are you?
        Call me stupid, but what's the concern with stainless expanded metal beside warping and distortion from the heat? Or was that it?

Comment

That's it. You'll end up with a grate that looks like an undulating fairway.

Comment

Howdy! What materials and setup did you end up with?

Comment

Originally posted by topgunner View Post
              Howdy! What materials and setup did you end up with?
              I haven't got started yet. I hope to in a couple weeks

Comment

Working...
              X