No announcement yet.

Aluminum trailer - but too much flex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude (modern expression I learned) what's all the white on the vertical and angular surfaces surrounding the trailer? I seem to recall offices with similar surfaces.

" fancy features"- what are them? I got On/Off, 1-6 on a rotary switch and a little round knob on my Miller Electric MM-200 from 1980 and it welds great.
    OK, I am pondering adding a LED array on the machine so I can see the numbers easier. Is that one of them fancy features you speak of?

There is nothing wrong with bolting in its appropriate application. There's even a whole new section on the Engiscrewup floor where they house "Bolting Enginincompoops" who have a huge backlog of jobs waiting evaluation so they can determine it can't be done as proposed. Them guys are good, they told me they are. Far as the Ironworkers go I ain't been real fond of them since they started using the fancy air wrench that holds the bolt and turns the nut in a single operation. Ratfink Ironworker I went to High School with wouldn't even let me play with the contraption. He got all uppidy since the company quit using rivets.
    Honestly, bolts do provide a lot of hold if and when used properly. A bolt can actually provide a lot more surface contact area in a joint than welding does in most situations. Surface and contact is a major factor.

I'm just a dumb weldor, what do I know about building things with wheels?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Franz©; 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
      Dude (modern expression I learned) what's all the white on the vertical and angular surfaces surrounding the trailer? I seem to recall offices with similar surfaces.

" fancy features"- what are them? I got On/Off, 1-6 on a rotary switch and a little round knob on my Miller Electric MM-200 from 1980 and it welds great.
      OK, I am pondering adding a LED array on the machine so I can see the numbers easier. Is that one of them fancy features you speak of?
      The drywall? Its a cheap wall covering that doesnt burn.

The fancy features... Well theres the pulse on pulse, pulse mode, stt, and a few others I think... Set the program to what process and filler metal you got and away you go, everything is synergic so just set your wire feed speed. Doesnt work very well when you jery rig the miller spool gun to the lincoln machine tho.

Your mm-200 welds great... Well sure for the application that its inteded for. Its not going to do a great job welding up my trailer is it? Nor would it weld up a thick backhoe bucket with any sort of productivity lol.
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

That's what I use, Will, 3/64 5356. I have a 10' whip on my not-quite-as-old-as-Franz's-mm200 but not too far off either mm250. Runs great. Only had one bird's nest and that was after I was bragging that I never had one at all. Now I'll probably have my second. Dadgumjt.

Comment

Originally posted by Willvis View Post

The drywall? Its a cheap wall covering that doesnt burn.

The fancy features... Well theres the pulse on pulse, pulse mode, stt, and a few others I think... Set the program to what process and filler metal you got and away you go, everything is synergic so just set your wire feed speed. Doesnt work very well when you jery rig the miller spool gun to the lincoln machine tho.

Your mm-200 welds great... Well sure for the application that its inteded for. Its not going to do a great job welding up my trailer is it? Nor would it weld up a thick backhoe bucket with any sort of productivity lol.
          I remember drywall. It's heavy. I didn't like carrying it or hanging it up. Too much like work.

Well theres the pulse on pulse, pulse mode, stt, and a few others I think... Set the program to what process and filler metal you got and away you go
          Oh, you're talking about a power supply for a robot. I played with one of those at the LWS. Fellow in a suit had his laptop plugged into it. Owner told me to test drive it cause if anybody could screw it up I was the man. It squirted aluminum nice, but they should have told me the computer was programmed for trigger on, trigger off.

Backhoe buckets ain't Miller Electric's cup of tea. His cousin Hobart Bros with the bronze colored paint loves them though. Hobart Bros tops out at 450 amps and loves shooting 1/16 wire out the 4 wheel wire drive that can go remote from the power unit. I don't think it knows how to do the pulse thing though.

Comment

Lol. And yes 4x12 sheets of 5/8 drywall are HEAVY. Especially when your hanging them 16+ feet in the air on the ceiling. I should post some pics of of hanging it.

Well this machine I have can run robots and what not but mainly its the pulse features that I wanted it for. Makes such a difference on aluminum. Its also got your hobart beat on raw amperage. 575 amps but needs 3 phase power for that. I'm limited to 325 on single phase, seems good enough for me. I would have settled for a millermatic 350p or lincoln 350mp but I got this machine for cheap.

Ryan the 10' whip is a good idea but I would get annoyed pretty quick unless all I was doing with it was welding parts on the table. Maybe I'll give it a try one day. Even the 15' whip for steel wire I find to be way to short. 25' is a nice reach.

Anyways I was busy today welding in the pieces to the frame. just adding the 2x3 on top and welding it down to the channel rails underneath and to the cross members made all the difference. I added a few cross braces as well but they didn't seem to add much rigidity any more. I think its about as rigid as its going to get now. It still has a bit of flex but I don't think there's much more I can do about it. Its more of a bounce in the trailer now then flex anyways. A 2nd axle in front of the one that's on there would probably take out any remaining flex now. When the time comes that I want to add a 2nd axle then I'll probably add in a few more gussets and such. So I just wanted to say thanks to Franz and everyone else that helped me figure out the problem. Especially Franz for telling me what I suspected, that the problem was not from having the one axle and showing the importance of a solid connection from frame rails to cross members. I got a few craters to fill in and maybe re-do a couple crappy welds but it is very much a use able trailer now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_37563.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	596176
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_37564.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	596177
            Last edited by Willvis; 03-29-2019, 09:47 PM. Reason: my original post was missing a bunch of stuff for some reason
            www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
            Miller extreme 12vs
            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
            Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

You want a bit of flex or it will break someplace.
              Now you need a few stake pockets, flag holders, and reenforced D rings on all 4 sides. Personally I'd add a V to the center of the tail X member and a drop in pocket for a bull block to pull crap off with the winch.
              Might as well put some floor under some of the empty spaces for your rollers, straps, tarps, chains and blocks too while the deck is off, and don't forget a place for the broom & shovel. Dunnage rack and a spare tire carrier are nice too. Get a couple LEDs on the handle end and back corners and a battery box in too.

No need to thank me, just pass it along to the next guy in trouble.
              BTW, you don't need a long cable, just hang the machine from that beam up on top. You can make your own trolley out of a couple plates, some tube and skate wheels.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X