Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    The city agreed to buy us the globes, but they had to match the rest of the regular light poles. Fine. Whatever. As long as I ain't paying for it.

But if this had been in the oaks historic district or in old towne, they would've **** sure made us return it to its original condition and function. Funny how those rich folks can dictate what others do.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Here in the city of Beaumont they were painted silver. These are certainly not silver, but the guy who approved the color already admitted that foul up.

There is conduit in there, two in each base.
    Most probably originally coated with powdered aluminum mixed into gloss varnish by a skilled craftsman.

Later coats may have been "aluminum paint" partially stirred by a lazy civil servant or contracted painter.

Personally, I'd still be pitching a hissey for proper gas ligiting on top. Even if you have to remanufacture the fixture and stick a LED inside.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Here in the city of Beaumont they were painted silver. These are certainly not silver, but the guy who approved the color already admitted that foul up.

There is conduit in there, two in each base.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Ummm, Ryan, they spodaB RED, same color as the late model boxes.
    Bases should be grouted to the foundations as well.

You did remember to install the conduit?

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Those are looking pretty, like pretty darn nice. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I was trying to wait for the light domes to get installed....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Nah man, that's done. I guess I should try and get some pictures of them done.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Hey Ryan, you got this flippin box installed and functioning yet, or are you dragging it out till retirement?

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Milemeter thinkers are potty training failures. Their parents ain't a lot better.
    Kid who pumps my septic tank is a truckie with 25 under his lid, and a lot of savvy. Driver slot on his crew was about to come open, and he was told he wasn't being considered cause he couldn't drive a truck. Guess what he drove to work next shift? He was counciled by the BC for improving the neighborhood. Next shift he came in with his backhoe on the trailer behind his dump truck. BC TEXTED him. Seems junior firemen were annoyed with a man who spends his money on his retirement plan. IAFF jumped in pointing out there is no regulation about personal vehicles. PC people were so upset he got moved to a newer house. Less runs per shift.
    Another kid I know works a busy house and loves it. He is known for cautioning young kids about how easy it is to fall down stairs in smoke.

RFD had a 3rd floor collapse with 2 FFs trapped in the collapse. Good part was both were extracted quick since it was 4 blocks from a major house with Rescue crew. OK, you know that's gonna be a Press Conference. The Chief Mouthbreather (hand picked munchkin) stands yapping about how wonderful it was the LT called a Mayday immediately while he was trapped rather than trying self extraction and going macho. 35 year LT says "I relied on my training" when they asked him to speak.

People know better than to answer or even have sound coming from their device around me.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    It's a whole different world, even when from when I started. They actually sent us "older" captains to a class to help us communicate better with the Millennial generation. The talking head from HR couldn't understand my unwillness to send an email to a two day old fireman to explain to him what I want done around the firehouse. I don't really care if that's how "they" communicate. I **** sure can't send them an email to headlong into the back window of a house where the old man is saying his wife is when their house is about to fall victim to a federal pacific breaker panel. I'm trying to do better though. I really am. But you should see the anxiety on these kids' faces when they get assigned to my house, sits down in my office and I take his cell phone from him and put it in my desk drawer. I started that after a probie answered his cell phone while we were working in the back of a Med unit. I asked him if was important. When he replied "nah"....I lost my everlovin mind. I don't think kid ever had his backside chewed off before. Welcome to the real world, kid. This is the world I work in and I don't think it's going back.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    I try to begin all presentations by informing the audience if they are offended to look at it as a learning opportunity. Bein an old guy I just might employ words they haven't learned yet. I got the educational opportunity to become a back seat driver on a Ward-LaFrance 75 in 1962 and learned a lot fast beginning with the driver would get where he wanted to go with or without me. He didn't realize the farm kid picked up on the exhaust note on the first ride around the plaza and watched the Professional to learn when the tiller could and couldn't steer. Fun couple hours that day, and I learned even with the driver giving me all the help he could I couldn't pull up next to the tractor.

City went the Midi/Quint route in the 80s, manpower reduction. Even made Chiefs drive their own cars, and some found the assignments. Actually it was part of a plan to stick the cost to County taxpayers, and kill sufficient firemen to convert the City to a Vol operation just like the County was back then. City even brought in a Chief to accomplish the murders. He ordered Monitors onto 4 story with 30 firemen inside the building. Oddly, nobody heard him!

Good to learn you guys are still playing Texas Snow Job down there. Vol company here back in the 70s bought a Jeep with a Sudz generator on the back that could back up to a house and fill a 1500sf house with sudz in 90 seconds. Magnificent machine it was too. Never did learn what happened to that Jeep, but I got a hunch Insurance Carriers bought it to minimize rebuild costs.

The best job on an engine is between steering wheel and seat. Hose haulin is hard work and it gets worse when water is added. Even when safety straps got assed to tailboards they were still a minimal step up from running boards. Rigs were moving way too fast by then to run alongside anyhow.
    I think most of the new MEGA-Bux pumpers here are now Sudz capable at the touch of a keypad. The new radios may even be able to command the computer that runs the engine but I'm not sure. I'd have to ask a politician.

The kids might not know who Dr Peter was, but they sure labor in a system he documented. Society is fortunate the kids accepted standing in line and waiting for instructions as Edward Bernays predicted. I've read Bernays; I laugh a lot. I go to less meetings too.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    You nailed. But most kids these days have never heard of the Peter principle. It might offend someone, so it's not discussed anymore. How non-inclusive of you anyway? Sheesh.

A backend man is our slang here for a grade I fireman; I guess because they used to ride the tailboard. The official title is P-H-L....pike, hose & ladderman. Best job on the engine, without a doubt.

We haven't had a tiller here for many years. We should, but we'd rather spend our money on Quints and CAFS that make no sense to anyone, including the ISO.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    There was once a sign Officers are proof of the Peter Principle, Chiefs are appointed from Officers.
    It hung for several years from the stage rigging of the Academy stage until the new building went up.
    All kinds of noise from Chiefs when the demolition people asked where they wanted the sign stored.

One of my favorite things to watch is a fight over conference tables. Inventory sticker clearly says Property of City. Nothing more intelligent than 2 Lts fighting over "My conference table" in front of a class of newbies.

"backend man"- you running a hinged ladder truck?

How about appointing a Chief from the Mayor's friends and then learning State Law mandates she must be a qualified foreman to be a Chief? All those tailored uniforms and she has to go to Basic Fireman School for 6 months, out of town, on full pay + motel bills. Funny part was Mollie turned out to be a good admin Chief who said No to a lot of toys Old Boys wanted.

You ain't spodakno how to splice a loop in the end of a rope, you spoda order the proper length of ladder rope/replacement after you complete the school on measuring ladder ropes.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    We like to throw the word "liability" around like it makes us feel safe. We had to put a new halyard on my ground ladder the other day and my district chief was confused about how make the loop at the end of the rope for the anchor point. I told him I'd splice it in. He says "oh no, too much liability in doing that." After learning my lesson about "just handling things", I told him I'd take it to the shop and have the shop guys do it, to which he agreed was a good choice, and left to go about his day doing whothehellknows what. I love our shop guys, but last week they brought another company's ladder out to me so I could slice a loop in the new halyard on that ladder for them. Then I proceeded to teach my young backend man how to splice a loop in the end of the ladder halyard. Seems we're forgetting this is a dangerous job and liability is something we accept when we have the skills to do so. Or maybe since he was kind of a crappy fireman he merely assumes the rest of us are as well. That's pretty harsh, I take that back....I'm not going to take a $750k apparatus across town, out of service and out of district, for a problem that I can fix in 5 minutes or take 10 minutes to teach it to a young fireman and have him complete the repair. Silly chief, mind your own business and let the men handle theirs.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Academy Chief in the 60s near put a price on my head for teaching the incoming kids to properly mouse the ends of their ropes with marlin and dip them in varnish. He and most of the Department couldn't splice rope to save their lives. He was perfectly happy watching the kids wander around with black tape on the ends. Monday morning the whole class has moused ropes. Instructors were in on it and didnknonuttin. Wednesday he cut the ends off the ropes and supervised tapeing. Next Monday he looks over the drill floor and sees almost all ropes with backsplices on the ends. First Chief to take a vacation in the middle of training. Chief of Equipment took training over till he got back from vacation.
    My hands were sore for a week from teaching backsplice to 60 newbies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X