No announcement yet.

Pontoon build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not concerned about the argon. Its and open ended tube and I would only be 4' inside of it. The fumes are another story but that's what a respirator is for. Then I have to choose if I would rather mig or tig it. Tig being a lot more difficult and ackward in that position. With mig I gotta worry about burn through and the nasty fumes. Anyways its something to think about for the next ones. These ones are just about done now.
    www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
    Miller extreme 12vs
    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
    Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

I don't know you except from here but that doesn't mean I want to lose you . Be safe.

---Meltedmetal
      ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Well Willvis, you've been short changing us on pictures again friend.
        Ever see a frost plug? Those bulk heads could be formed with a little extra effort, material cost to offer a flange to aid in alignment and welding? Just a thought. You making an insert ring, could kill two birds with one stone for little extra effort?

Having said all that and not to upset the welder apple cart, but have you considered panel adhesives? I'm all for welding but sometimes thinking different holds advantages?

Good to hear you've got a handle on things. When your ready to float the boat let us know won't you. I'm expecting a celebration... free beer, food, music and letting the good times roll?

Weather here has improved, - 7 Celsius. Beats the -27 of a few days back. Could this be signs of a early spring? One can only hope, but I doubt it? I was talking to a buddy in Trail BC, he said -5 was the high. I heard on the news it snowed in Vegas? I doubt they sell many snow tires down there? Anyways, I hope winter is on the way out? While warmth and sunshine doesn't hurt a fella, I'm sure it would go a long way towards opening the shop door to let in some fresh air.

Comment

You could do the flat bar, tack it, cut the baffle the inside diameter of the flat bar. Then mig that. Then tig the flat bar at the edge of the log.
          Slide the other section on leaving a gap and weld all three together. Or any version of that just weld the flat bar to the baffles. No burn through.
          It has to be air tight as much as possible or it won't work properly. I drill holes small where there will be plugs so I can pressure check with a rubber tip.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I was hoping to avoid two welds to put in the baffle, but I may have to.I think what I might do is mig the baffle to the flat bar, and then tig the flat bar on the edge of the tube before adding the next section on like you said. Once the next section is on I can probably blend the other weld in while welding them together. I tried doing the gap thing but it didn't work well. I was using 1/8 flat bar, and being that your welding the tubes on the edges, the edges want to melt away long before the flat bar wants to melt. Although the one thing I like about not having any weld on the flatbar before putting them together is you can just butt the tubes up tight and you know it's all lined up good. I tried some mig on a baffle to the tube and it wasn't too bad. As long as the fitups tight its not a problem. Thinking of getting the baffles cnc cut out of 1/8" for the next one. Focus the mig on that and it shouldn't be a problem. Still got some experimenting to do. Thanks for all the help

Miller extreme 12vs
            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

The edges melting back just means you are either too slow or you need to jam rod faster. That is pretty much how they all do it.
              That or get pretty with the mig

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

The mig would definitely work well with the backing bar. I need to get a push pull gun for my welder, Ive got a spoolmatic 30a hooked to the lincoln right now but I can only really use the regular cv settings. The pulse settings dont work properly because the wire speeds all messed up with the spool gun. I think the issue with the backing bar and it melting was due to it being 0.125 and the tubes being 0.080. If I make the backing bars from 0.080 I dont think I would have the same problem.

Miller extreme 12vs
                Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Your pics Noel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pontoon1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	595366

Name:	pontoon2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	595367

Name:	pontoon3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	595368

Name:	pontoon4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	595369

Miller extreme 12vs
                  Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Very nice, just curious, have you calculated how many inches of welding there is?
                    Richard

Comment

I haven't been up this early in a while and these pictures make it all worth while. Well done son!
                      I'm dazzled by the workmanship, you've done what many only talk of doing, and you did it extremely well. Y
                      ou should feel pretty proud of yourself accomplishing that build, they look fantastic and turned out great.

Thumbs up, high five, I'm impressed!

While I believe it was your welding skills that brought it all together, I'm also going to give a shout out to the fitter who should be given some recognition, and if I recall the couple little helpers for making it possible. You might want to give them a raise?

The picture are as well, top class!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
                        Very nice, just curious, have you calculated how many inches of welding there is?
                        No, but I can tell you its a lot, haha. Although with aluminum it goes pretty quick, its the fitting part and figuring things out that has been time consuming. If I keep building more I'm sure I will drastically cut the time down. Also I'm getting pretty good results now with my spoolatic and lincoln on pulse on pulse. I put one of them flex barrels on and it is working 100% better now. Should be able to use the spool gun now on certain things to speed things up.

I haven't been up this early in a while and these pictures make it all worth while. Well done son!
                        I'm dazzled by the workmanship, you've done what many only talk of doing, and you did it extremely well. Y
                        ou should feel pretty proud of yourself accomplishing that build, they look fantastic and turned out great.

Thumbs up, high five, I'm impressed!
                        And your comments made my morning! Of course I posted the pictures of the parts that look good and no the parts that are not up to par, haha. Still its been a very good learning experience, and if I keep building more I should be able to do it a lot faster and better quality on the next ones.

Miller extreme 12vs
                        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Those look fantastic.
                          A few years back a guy on here who calls himself Portable Welder made a great looking set.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Working...
                          X