need some plastic bonding advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some plastic bonding advice

Calling on the deep wisdom of all things manly that exist in this forum, I need some help with bonding some plastic together.

One piece is definitely pvc, the other is unknown. I believe it to be polyethylene, and that would be the worst case scenario. So glueing a 1 1/2" pvc pipe into this "unknown" filter housing with all purpose plastic pipe cement, allowing it to fully cure, resulted in the pipe pulling out with very little effort.

Through my research so far, I've located a few possible adhesives that may work and would like to know if any of you have experience with any of them or with conditions similar to mine and found a suitable solution. Here's the adhesives:

3M DP8010 structural adhesive

Permabond 4605 or 4610

West Systems G-Flex 655

The conditions present will be continuous submersion in water at a temperature not to exceed 104 degree F. I don't really care how much the adhesive costs, I just need to get this sap sucker to hold...forever.

Thanks guys.

Ryan,

Loctite says this stuff will stick polyethylene, polypropylene and PTFE teflon together

For $10, it might be worth the gamble.

I am tempted to buy some to stick a poly funnel to my non-stick fry pan.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...1925/100371829

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/SG_PLSTC_tds.pdf

Plastics are amazing and puzzling.
    There are squeegees used in the screen print industries which will stand up to solvent based inks
    and will withstand cleaning with MEK and acetone but the same squeegees will degrade
    in water and are not suitable for water based inks. For those inks, plain rubber works fine.
    Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

I would suggest PC-7 epoxy paste. I have used it on all kinds of plastic and metal with great success. Never had anything come apart yet. PC even has an epoxy that can be applied to wet surfaces or even under water.

Comment

Devcon plastic welder. Use it all the time for situations like yours, and have for almost 20 years.
        "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
        Miller Dynasty 200DX
        Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
        Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
        Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

I'm going to take a look at all those products, thanks guys. I even have some PC-7 out in the shop. Something interesting I've found is that it seems the really important information is left off the packaging. Take the JB Weld marine weld product. I was looking at it in the hardware store today. I figured **** ya, I'll JB weld dadgum thing together and it'll be there forever! Took a quick look on their website, says specifically not compatible with polyethylene. They just so happen to leave that tid bit of important information off the packaging on the store shelf. Glad I researched it.

Comment

Any success? What did you end up using?

Comment

I haven't had a chance to finish my research. Been tied up with a repair on an aluminum golf cart frame. Three days to fix what the dummy did in five minutes. Just a hunch, but if you cut the web and top plate off the frame, which is an aluminum I-beam, your golf cart will bend in half. Not really sure why he was shocked by this move. He was trying to fit a beer cooler under the seat, and well, those pesky frame rails were in his way. But that's what a grinder is for!

I'll post back with my chosen libation and whether or not it actually works. If not, I think I'll shoot some holes in it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions on adhesives, I'm going to follow up with Loctite tomorrow regarding their plastic bonding system. It is a cyanoacrylate and I'm concerned that it won't be well suited for gap filling. Since this is a pipe into a socket, there will be some sort of a gap to fill.

I can't find the info I need about the PC-7, so I'll also call protective coatings tomorrow and see what they say. It looks promising and I already have it.

The devcon plastic weld says it is not suited for polyethylene, which is what I believe one of the plastics to be. If something will glue polyethylene, then it will most likely adhere to any other plastic. I'm preparing for the worst.

The manufacturers for the products I've listed I've already spoke to and all three are positive their product will work.

It's been a frustrating problem, but I'll be that much smarter by the end of it all. Hopefully my solution will help someone else down the road.

Comment

Talked to the owner of tap plastics this morning, they make the devcon plastic welder. He doubts this is polyethylene, but of course can't be sure. He recommended testing some epoxies on the side of the housing and see what happens. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Probably because I'm not really interested in screwing around and just want someone to advise me what to use. That's the lazy side of me I guess.

Also talked to the guys that make pc-7. Very helpful. He agreed with the test and actually recommended the 3M product I listed as the atomic bomb of plastic adhesives. So if my test doesn't go well, I think I'll go that route instead of trying this and that.

Comment

Finally, an answer to the make up if the housing....fiberglass reinforced polypropylene.

Changing gears and hunting the product for that plastic to pvc.

Comment

It's just never easy....

Comment

Went with the 3M DP8010 for the following reasons:

Ease of application, it has a mixing tip and dispensing gun. Both sold separately, of course.

But the big reason is several competitors of 3M recommended it.

However, with all the trouble I've had, my confidence for a successful repair is not high. I applied a little extra to a test spot so I can actually see how it chooched.

We shall see.

Comment

For those interested or ever in need to bonding hard to glue plastics...they call them low surface area plastics, like polyethylene and polypropylene...that 3M adhesive is some badass stuff. The down side is you need the application gun, which is double the price of the adhesive tube itself. So, if you guys need to borrow it, it's plastic and cheap to ship. I have half a tube left. Just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            For those interested or ever in need to bonding hard to glue plastics...they call them low surface area plastics, like polyethylene and polypropylene...that 3M adhesive is some badass stuff. The down side is you need the application gun, which is double the price of the adhesive tube itself. So, if you guys need to borrow it, it's plastic and cheap to ship. I have half a tube left. Just let me know.
                            What kind of money is this system?
                            I at times need to bond plastic to metal and even metal to metal. Plastic to plastic could happen in the future. But my main concern is plastic to metal in a harsh marine environment. Harsh meaning lots of bending and twisting with occasional impact.
                            I am a fan of "Lords" glue products for metal
                            Have you tried posting pics yet? I've seen others are now doing it and you can view them nicely. I haven't needed to myself yet but will have to soon.
                            BTW.....thanks for keeping this thread alive. I find it useful and interesting.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I haven't tried to post pictures in a while, it's always a let down...or it pisses me off...but I'll give her another go.

It's really not all that much money to be honest. You just have to have the dispensing gun and correct mixing tips to properly use the adhesive. I can report that my experience calling 3M and posing my problem to them was an excellent experience. The two folks I talked to on the phone seemed to actually care about solving my problem. If I ran into another tough glueing situation, I'd absolutely call them again and not waste another second anywhere else.

The tube of glue was $50, the gun was around $100 and the tips were cheap. The gun has three different plungers, 2:1, 10:1 and something else...something like that. It's interchangeable. Very concise directions too. Some other products required flame oxidizing prior to applying the adhesive. The dp8010 require nothing other than cleaning it with a good alcohol wipe down.

I bought the adhesive, the gun and the tips from McMaster-Carr and had it in two days. I probably could've got it cheaper on amazon, but I knew what I was getting from MC.

I hope I answered your question. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X