Under Truck Topper Fishing Rod / Utility Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Truck Topper Fishing Rod / Utility Rack

I wanted a fishing rod rack for my topper, but I didn't want to drill any holes in it. I looked for products in stores and on-line and didn't find a thing.
    So..... I came up with this idea.
    The best part about this rack, is the fact that it is strong enough to use as a utility rack. I hang groceries, hunting gear, clothes, lantern, etc... on it. Love this thing. It's my 4th one that I built over the years (my friends wanted one in theirs too). Check it out!

Nice !!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Not only is that an excellent idea, but the video is great as well. No fluff and gets straight the point with clear and complete details. Great job! Minus the painting part though, for me at least. I hate painting. I prefer the natural patina of things, but mostly because I hate painting. And drum brakes. I hate those too.

Comment

Great idea, good job, good work on the video. Probably took more time editing the video than the project but it leaves a step by step tutorial for somebody that wants to build one. No questions asked kind of thing just a 'watch and do'. Hook and ring sizes can be a user choice affair.

Now for me, I would dip those forward rings in a plasti-dip or wrap 'em in tape so the fishin line and poles don't rub. Just a preference thing on my part, not a critique.

Comment

Excellent idea! We're debating between getting a topper or a headache rack for the truck to carry more stuff and haul the kayaks. This definitely gives a good room for the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Now for me, I would dip those forward rings in a plasti-dip or wrap 'em in tape so the fishin line and poles don't rub. Just a preference thing on my part, not a critique.

I love the idea of rubber coating those rings. I wonder what the best product would be? Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by topgunner View Post
              Excellent idea! We're debating between getting a topper or a headache rack for the truck to carry more stuff and haul the kayaks. This definitely gives a good room for the truck.
              I use to have a canoe rack over my topper years ago. No drilling...... it was just like the thing I made here, except it went on the outside of the topper. Since it's going to be in the weather, I'd make it out of Aluminum, or just buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by captain belly View Post

I love the idea of rubber coating those rings. I wonder what the best product would be? Any ideas?
                No idea anymore. Years ago there was this product marketed for just that, coating handles and such. I bought one can and it sort of worked as advertized. It was like a tall pint can, dip the handle or whatever in then hang it to dry. It wasn't real user friendly because the level soon receded too low for any thing very long and started to skin over because of a poor reseal container. There has gotta be something better by now. Wonder about that flex seal spray?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post

No idea anymore. Years ago there was this product marketed for just that, coating handles and such. I bought one can and it sort of worked as advertized. It was like a tall pint can, dip the handle or whatever in then hang it to dry. It wasn't real user friendly because the level soon receded too low for any thing very long and started to skin over because of a poor reseal container. There has gotta be something better by now. Wonder about that flex seal spray?
                  I wonder if a fella could figure out how to do it with caulk....... I know...... redneck, but .............might be worth the experiment, as well as proving and strengthening my Redneckness. If you can make fancy counter tops out of concrete, then you can make "rubber coating" out of caulk and make it look good! I'm seriously going to experiment with this idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X