X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahWelder
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    That all depends on what you're using the trailer for honestly. I've never heard that guideline about axle placement. I'm sure others have made many more trailers than me. The guideline I have heard--and gone by--is to place the center of the front spring hanger on the mid-point of the trailer. I've done that on every trailer I've built and it's worked out really well. So that's been one tear drop camper (still under so structure), several general purpose trailers and a few smokers. Not doubting your formula, just never heard it before.
    I'm doubting my formula cause I've never used it lol. Yours sounds better and any amount of trailers you have made is that many more than me.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That all depends on what you're using the trailer for honestly. I've never heard that guideline about axle placement. I'm sure others have made many more trailers than me. The guideline I have heard--and gone by--is to place the center of the front spring hanger on the mid-point of the trailer. I've done that on every trailer I've built and it's worked out really well. So that's been one tear drop camper (still under so structure), several general purpose trailers and a few smokers. Not doubting your formula, just never heard it before.

Leave a comment:

• UtahWelder
    replied
    Thanks Bob. We are just south of SLC.

I have a question about axle placement too. I was always told you go back 1" from center for every foot of trailer. So for example an 18' trailer place axles 18" back from center. Is that correct?

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    UtahWelder Welcome. I lived in Utah once. My grandfather had a boat trailer factory in SLC...Bob

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Nope made them for years...Bob
    http://s110.photobucket.com/user/aam...?sort=3&page=1

Leave a comment:

• UtahWelder
    started a topic Trailer from 5x5 3/8 or 5x3 3/8 angle

Trailer from 5x5 3/8 or 5x3 3/8 angle

Recently got 25 or so 30ft 5x5x3/8 and 30ft 5x3x3/8 angle for free. Any problems with making a trailer out of either? Trailer would just be holding road signs.
Working...
X