Welding table top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding table top

Needing to build a welding table and looking for recommendations on the table top thickness ? It will serve as a work bench also, it will also be on casters.

Every new post here lacks sufficient information and gets the same answer, it seems: "It depends."

It especially depends on what you are building on top of it.

Also depends on your budget, as many try to get as thick a top as they can afford, within reason, for their circumstances which may include needing to move it around or have room for clamp thicknesses. Size of the table will come into play as a smaller surface area can have a thicker top for the same budget and weight considerations.

Comment

Yup...need to know how big you need it, what you're planning to build on it and your budget. You don't have to release your tax returns, just an example, "...I would like to stay under $500 in materials for this build..." Heavy casters will be expensive too, and don't try and cheap out on them or you'll be sad.

Comment

I have a weld shop that does marine repair among other aluminum tig type repairs as well. I have a table with a top made from scrap steel approximately 4 ft. square and it is 3/8ths thick and has been great for about a decade.
        It is on medium castors and we roll it all over the shop which is about 6500 square ft.
        Every bit of it was free except for the Wilton vice that I mounted on a receiver for a trailer hitch.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I just gave a half sheet of 1/2" steel to a friend of mine to build a table that pretty much matches the description of yours there FK....he told me just this morning that it's just about perfect for his shop.

Comment

It's a handy size for us.
            We are currently planning to build one that I hope will be 3' x 30'
            That should cover our other "needs" we are planning

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Comment

Looks like my text didn't post with the pic

Comment

Looks like it used to be a gas grill chassis. Handy little mammer jammer.

Comment

Wow.... it really does look like a grill chassis. now i'm never going to look at it the same again. HA!

Comment

Slap a little Coleman stove up there and it'll be good to go. Cook some hotdogs while you're welding.

Comment

I went with one inch. It’s in my Garage and measures 4ft x 3.5ft. It’s been a great table and I don’t have any regrets. I purchased the plate from a guy that worked in the building trade and had he some leftover cut-offs from a previous job. Do you need 1-inch plate? Probably not, but it’s been real nice having a flat heavy table now for the past five years.

You can check out part-1 of the build here: https://youtu.be/6j6PFHc4ZPI

Gar
                        Lincoln Electric, POWER MIG 256
                        Hypertherm Powermax 45
                        Smith O/A torch

Comment

Working...
                        X