X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mroll004
    started a topic Bending aluminum

Bending aluminum

Alright gents, I know this subject has been beat to death on many other threads but after reading most I am still left without a straight answer... To put it simply I have a JD2 model 3 bender with a 1" X 3.5" pipe die set and I am looking to bend 1" 6061 T-6 aluminum for a pilot house rack for my boat. I understand that T-6 is not ideal for bending but i am having trouble finding 6061 with a lesser tensile strength. I see 1" pipe everywhere in the marine environment so I know it can be done without too much effort (annealing etc)... WHAT ARE THEY USING?? I am open to suggestions even if it means switching to stainless, getting a different die set, listening to Melissa Etheridge on repeat whatever it takes.
    Thanks in advance.

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    He just saved you from certain death.

Leave a comment:

• Mroll004
    replied
    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
    Ok I'm guessing you mean 1" diameter x 3 1/2" center line radius.
    If so you need 6063 in either T-4 or T-52
    I have that set-up, use that pipe, and it works wonderful
    Now thats my kind of answer, thanks FusionKing!

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Ok I'm guessing you mean 1" diameter x 3 1/2" center line radius.
    If so you need 6063 in either T-4 or T-52
    I have that set-up, use that pipe, and it works wonderful

Leave a comment:

• D Auger
    replied
    Originally posted by Mroll004 View Post
    Alright gents, I know this subject has been beat to death on many other threads but after reading most I am still left without a straight answer... To put it simply I have a JD2 model 3 bender with a 1" X 3.5" pipe die set and I am looking to bend 1" 6061 T-6 aluminum for a pilot house rack for my boat. I understand that T-6 is not ideal for bending but i am having trouble finding 6061 with a lesser tensile strength. I see 1" pipe everywhere in the marine environment so I know it can be done without too much effort (annealing etc)... WHAT ARE THEY USING?? I am open to suggestions even if it means switching to stainless, getting a different die set, listening to Melissa Etheridge on repeat whatever it takes.
    Thanks in advance.
    No that's funny !

Leave a comment:

• Mroll004
    replied
    I have not tried it yet my bender will be here tomorrow, I am just trying to nail down the right material before I spend a bunch of time and money on insufficient pipe.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Melissa Etheridge, you don't want that for sure. Did you try a piece?...Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X