Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I cut a long groove in square tubing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noel
    replied
    Originally posted by Franz© View Post
    One of the better down & dirty tubing broaches http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-broach-(pics)

Probably would have been better if he brazed the tool bit in rather than "welding it" but it's hard to teach a chipmaker anything.
    I agree, twice.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    One of the better down & dirty tubing broaches http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-broach-(pics)

Probably would have been better if he brazed the tool bit in rather than "welding it" but it's hard to teach a chipmaker anything.

Leave a comment:

• Burnt hands
    replied
    Hydraulic lift table as a base - still need a top

HF version will need modifications but is $90.

Others are very pricey.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html

https://www.uline.com/BL_1821/Manual...rds=lift+table

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...let-Positioner

https://www.grainger.com/search?sear...ery=lift+table

Leave a comment:

• All-about-design
    replied
    I realize this is an older post and I am sure the problem has been solved. That said I will offer my two cents.

Receiver hitches typically use 2.5" square tube, .238 wall, and the key is "flash controlled" or "flash removed" weld. It is a tight fit yet still moves.

Flash removed is available in other sizes but I haven't searched for them much to see what all is out there.

Leave a comment:

• Nautilus
    replied
    A lot of good ideas, though I admit I had not considered a uni-strut (I assume by uni-strut you mean a single big pedestool in the middle - if I am wrong, please advise). After having read the replies here, I think the solution is to get the DOM square tube. Trying to cut a slot is going to be more work than it is worth. Also, I am waiting for a Metabo burnishing machine to arrive as I was going to clean up all the metal before welding together. I figured this might be a bit easier than trying to do it later. Has anyone had experience with this machine? I am hoping it is good.

I agree that I am unlikely to adjust the bench much, but I plan on doing a lot of tig-welding at some point (making a dune buggy frame) and I think that sitting down might be easier to keep things steady.

Leave a comment:

• AchMed
    replied
    I understand you want a approx. 3.5" inner tube and a 4" outer tube and that's a good choice, very beefy, but you might consider a trailer hitch size 2.5" (0.188" wall) tube with the inner weld knocked down, and a 2" tube on the inside. No grinding, no mishap in funky machining work. Understandably, this outer tube is more expensive, but a safe way to proceed. It's not the beef of a 4", granted, but you'd be surprised what vertical tubing (as legs), with a diagonal brace this way and that, can provide especially if you're not parking your truck on it.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I would skip the fabcy features you wont use and concentrating on basics you will. We see a lot of benches on garage journal and a lot of wasted effort. I wouldn't bother with adjustable legs, one of these days I am going to build a new one and its not on the list.

Leave a comment:

• Goodhand
    replied
    Have you considered using uni-strut, to save you from having to cut the slot?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    It's a welding bench, don't over think it. Sturdy and flat, that's what you need. If you need it taller, put a couple of cinder blocks under the legs.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    If I have a long cut in steel and I am using a wiz wheel is tack a strip of flat stock to it and rub the wheel right against it. Nice straight edge...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Nautilus
    replied
    Ha ha Meltedmetal, as I was writing my reply, I thought to myself, maybe a taller chair is a better option here! Still, I am too far down the track to turn around now. Metjunkie, that sounds like the ideal option which I am definitely going to keep in mind if I ever own my own home. I am renting at the moment, so those sorts of awesome (but extreme measures) will have to wait.

Leave a comment:

• Metjunkie
    replied
    Unless you have an easy way of adjusting the legs, I would think a heavy table with adjustable legs would be a pain in the keester. But I'm not a spring chicken anymore, either. A friend of mine got tired of putting his welding table away, every time he had to park the cars in the garage, so we cut out the concrete in the floor, poured a recess to hold a cylinder and the table top, and when he wanted to weld, he'd plug in his compressor and raise the top up, then fold down the legs and weld away. When he was done, bleed off the cylinder and the top was flush with the surrounding floor.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Have fun with it. It might have been easier to have an adjustable stool to move you rather than the table.

Leave a comment:

• Nautilus
    replied
    Thanks for all the tips. There are some really good ideas. I am inclined to agree that it is unlikely that my I will adjust the height much, but I was working on the theory that sometimes I would want to sit for delicate TIG work and then stand for pretty much everything else. The table is massively overengineered and I will need a car jack to lift it anyway, but is more just an experiment rather than anything else. Thanks again, I expect there may be a few more questions along the way! Cheers, Al

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    This seems like a lot of work for something that will not likely be used much. I can't think of ever wishing my welding bench had adjustable legs. But then again, maybe if I had adjustable legs on my welding table I'd use it all of the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X