Welding Positioner Built From Dividing Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Positioner Built From Dividing Head

Been a long time since I posted here. I wanted to share what I boogered together for a bench top positioner. I fabricobbled a spring loaded, insulated copper "brush" to keep the current from passing through the bearings in the dividing head. I still need to pick up a 3 jaw chuck and faceplate (standard South Bend lathe 1-1/2x8 tpi). With the worm gear drive DC motor and variable speed controller, I can get 1/2-4 RPMs.

NICE !!
    Keep us posted on your progress

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Thanks Fusion King! I sure will post up my progress.

Comment

One of the industrial suppliers I use often...they sell bearings, pulleys, conveyor belts, etc....stock this little mechanism, looks like a device that holds carbon brushes in a drill motor. It's used to ground to an axle shaft. I wonder if it would handle weld current in a positioner like you built? Another method I've seen used on jobs like this is a spring wrapped around the axle shaft, but your doohickey is way better than that.

Comment

Ken send me your address I can fix you up with a faceplate....Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            One of the industrial suppliers I use often...they sell bearings, pulleys, conveyor belts, etc....stock this little mechanism, looks like a device that holds carbon brushes in a drill motor. It's used to ground to an axle shaft. I wonder if it would handle weld current in a positioner like you built? Another method I've seen used on jobs like this is a spring wrapped around the axle shaft, but your doohickey is way better than that.
            For future use, who is your supplier? I thought about the springmathing or a copper automotive ground strap but, since the head pivots, it was easier to build my chingus. More easier is more better.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
              Ken send me your address I can fix you up with a faceplate....Bob
              Thank you Bob! How much would you need for that jewel?
              Last edited by Ironken; 08-06-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironken View Post

Thank you Bob! How much would you need for that jewel?
                Nothing. Made it and can't use it...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

That's generous Bob. I'll PM you.

Comment

Purvis bearing. No idea what that grounding flimflam is called. Sam it on a table top display and thought I'd make a mental note for future reference.

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I'll make a note of Purvis.

Comment

Made a little progress on the frankenpositioner and wanted to share. Thanks again AAMETALMASTER for the 4" backplate....a 3 jaw shuck is next on my list.

Comment

Looking good Ken, can't wait to see it work!!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	2.6 KB ID:	584964
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	4.7 KB ID:	584965
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	3.6 KB ID:	584966

I made a test run with both TIG and MIG. I just squirted one on some plate with the MIG hands free. I made up a remote thumb switch that connects to the 4pin amphenol where the gun contactor switch connects. The weld was a little tall but, proved that it works. The TIG pass was a bit sloppy as I was still getting speeds down. I just did a little lay wire action and mashed the pedal. I cannot get the pics to upload correctly.....sorry for makin' ya squint.
                            Last edited by Ironken; 09-29-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Edit

Comment

Working...
                              X