X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr.dieseljr
    started a topic How do i do it?

How do i do it?

how do i draw a straight line on the bowl end of a propane tank i need it straight so i can frame the hole with flat stock.

• MAC702
    replied
    Perfect example of why we need to be specific in the subject line for the thread. The office chair comment is the first one on the page for my settings, and I have no idea why we want to do it because the real subject is missing.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Nothing is impossible to screw up. Give it to a democrat, consider it instantly screwed up. Gaaaaa-rown-teed.

Leave a comment:

• Up-parts
    replied
    Lots of posts on fancy ways to do this... how about a simple one. A sharpie on an office chair arm rest. Raise it or lower it to the desired elevation and roll it around... impossible to screw up.

Leave a comment:

• Metalburner
    replied
    Draw a straight line on a curved surface. Use a laser level that you can project the line on the cylinder and trace it with a pencil or soapstone. Just make sure the cylinder and laser are square and level with each other.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Great thing about metal, most of the time at least....you hack the wrong end off, just weld it back on.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Might be close enough, depending on the degree of curvature, but the shortest line between two points on a 3D curved surface will not be a straight line. This is why pilots and sailors use a Great Circle route instead of what we would think of as "straight" between two cities with similar latitudes.
    After I hacked the end it would be straight. You mean it wasn't supposed to be LOL...Bob

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Use a string. Tape one end to the tank where you want it. Then pull the string to the other side and tape it. Then use soapstone, sharpie or whatever to mark the line. Simple...Bob
    Might be close enough, depending on the degree of curvature, but the shortest line between two points on a 3D curved surface will not be a straight line. This is why pilots and sailors use a Great Circle route instead of what we would think of as "straight" between two cities with similar latitudes.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I have a disclaimer....took me years to finalize it....probably legally binding too....<br />
    <br />
    If I do something stupid and hurt myself, I promise not to blame others for said stupid action. <br />
    <br />
    Seems reasonable to me.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Use a string. Tape one end to the tank where you want it. Then pull the string to the other side and tape it. Then use soapstone, sharpie or whatever to mark the line. Simple...Bob

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr.dieseljr View Post
    how do i draw a straight line on the bowl end of a propane tank i need it straight so i can frame the hole with flat stock.
    Assuming you took all the proper precautions here.....a lot of idiots could read this....... and then just dive into their tank withwhatever and

You should always post a disclaimer

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Hmmm....sounds useful.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I did not know such a creature existed.
    It's roughly about 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick, and pretty sturdy. Magnetism is strong enough that it stays where you put it. Works great.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I did not know such a creature existed.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    I use that "rubber" magnetic "tape" from the crafts store. Pull it taut, lay it down around the curve, and draw your line.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X