No announcement yet.

Swivel wheel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking of tail swing and you guys just made me think harder about it. If I design it like this it should reduce the swing

Comment

So, 3 wheels? The longer platofrm sticking out is just for the bike?
      if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

olivero, that's not it. the part in front of the hinge will get bolted to the frame. It's job is only to pull the platform forward when driving the RV.
        If I used a steel hinge how would I attach it to the aluminum.
        It's not going to collapse onto itself. I'm going to raise it up either hydraulically or manually. That's why I need it as light as possible.
        I have a hydraulic pump since the last owner had a motorcycle lift on the back. He sold the lift, but the pump is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post
          So, 3 wheels? The longer platofrm sticking out is just for the bike?
          Yes.
          I'm also looking to store some chairs and such on the platform

Comment

Okay.... Hmm, well.

I am fairly confused at this point. Is the whole thing aluminum? including the top deck? Like a sheet of aluminum will be on top of the sub frame that is made of 1" or 2" square?

If you use aluminum, I guarantee you it won't last as long as steel, Aluminum might have a shear strength that is acceptably close to steel but it will get worn down way faster than steel as it is just generally softer. Depending if there is any weight load on the hinge or not will be the decision maker on this, if its holding weight, make it steel and make it work. If its not holding weight and acts as a "leveler" then it can probably be made of aluminum.

Where is the hinge on your last drawing?

Comment

Use steel and make it hydraulic. <br />
              <br />
              Build a lift like the one that was on it, or is that not big enough? <br />
              <br />
              I think there's probably good reason why these types of trailers aren't in mass production. Surely the RV accessory capitalist pigs would've exploited it by now. <br />
              <br />
              I think it's a cool project, but I think my fee has gone up to a 5th of cheap whiskey.

Comment

As long as it's cheap whiskey I can afford it.
                I'm hoping Friday I can make a mock up of what I want and then figure if it will work or even worth it

Comment

Haha, I would jump in on this If I could. Ryan could bring Helga, would be great

Comment

Mmmm...helga is pretty much a home body. Probably be easy to bring the RV to helga. She gets cranky when I ask her to move.

Comment

Haha, well there you go.

Comment

I thought I posted this the other day but for some reason it did not post

I'm starting to really think about tail swing. I'm thinking of dismissing this and just build an aluminum trailer. I went to the trailer store today and looked at some flatbed trailers. I'm thinking around a 6' X 10' trailer. I liked the aluma MC-210 trailer. I would build it as a tilt trailer. I noticed that the tilt trailers do not have any storage or tool box upfront. Most likely it would not tilt with the weight. Take a look at the 8220 tilt trailer. It starts to tilt behind the platform. How do I make that hinge?

Comment

Working...
                        X