No announcement yet.

Swivel wheel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why wouldn't the hinge work? Its like on a truck when the gate comes down, the "ramp" folds in on itself. I don't see why it would not work. You could even add a square frame to your trailer (of steel) and give the hinging part a piece to latch into. Need like 6 hinges though, good ones, the stronger the better.
    if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

New Idea. The problem is if I have 12-15 hanging off the back of my RV I will not be able to park it anywhere. So, I'm thinking of building a 7' X 7' square putting the wheel under it near the back and hinging a plate on the back that will fold up. Now I will be less than 55' without my bike. It will still be tight but opens up so many more possibilities.
      Are you saying I could use 1" square tubing 3/16 wall?
      On the supports that connect to the frame I'm going to bolt them on. I only have an area of about 7" that I can bolt to. Remember some of the weight will be supported by the wheel. It will be bolted to the inside of a 1/4 steel "L" angle which will prevent the support arms from raising up. I'm thinking of filling the 7" of support arm to make it solid so the bolts will not tear out. I'm also thinking of using 1/2" dia bolts

Comment

In the pix above the triangles are the wheels of my bike

Comment

here are some pix of my equipment that I have available

Comment

Looks like a shop class. You have some fine equipment in there.

Comment

Peeeesh. You got more gear than I do. All I got is a Dynasty 200 a table saw, some grinders, a big grinder and a chop saw. You could build a castle in there. Oh, and I have a tape measurer too.

I still can't tell what your drawing represents, I do all of my drawings in Word and I know it can be done in detail, are you able to do so?

I just need to know what your trying to support and where the supports can be and we can work from there. From what I understand, you are building a whole new trailer right?
              Last edited by Olivero; 11-18-2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Yes I am building a new trailer. I never knew I could draw in word. I will try to do that

Comment

Think of it this way: I have a 7' X7' platform that has a hinge in the front and a tire in the back. Only one tire. The hinge on the front will go to a support that will be bolted to the frame of the RV. Since my bike is bigger than 7' I will have a plate coming off the back of the platform to hold up the rear wheel.
                  The front wheels have a load of 650 pounds and the rear wheel has a load of 450 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by sofldist View Post
                    New Idea. The problem is if I have 12-15 hanging off the back of my RV I will not be able to park it anywhere. So, I'm thinking of building a 7' X 7' square putting the wheel under it near the back and hinging a plate on the back that will fold up. Now I will be less than 55' without my bike. It will still be tight but opens up so many more possibilities.
                    Are you saying I could use 1" square tubing 3/16 wall?
                    On the supports that connect to the frame I'm going to bolt them on. I only have an area of about 7" that I can bolt to. Remember some of the weight will be supported by the wheel. It will be bolted to the inside of a 1/4 steel "L" angle which will prevent the support arms from raising up. I'm thinking of filling the 7" of support arm to make it solid so the bolts will not tear out. I'm also thinking of using 1/2" dia bolts
                    A side issue I can see with any of the similar designs is tail swing. Nothing to do with whether it can be built or not or if it is a good or bad design, = tail swing. That will be a long way behind the axle. Could be miserable negotiating through congested streets and/or areas. I picture doing a tight right hand turn and wiping out the side of some car hugging the line.

Comment

That's probably why these types of trailers were never very popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post

A side issue I can see with any of the similar designs is tail swing. Nothing to do with whether it can be built or not or if it is a good or bad design, = tail swing. That will be a long way behind the axle. Could be miserable negotiating through congested streets and/or areas. I picture doing a tight right hand turn and wiping out the side of some car hugging the line.
                        I have been thinking of that

Comment

Weeeell. The whole having 2 hinged pieces so its a fully collapsable trailer seems a bit iffy. I could see one piece of metal folding but I would not trust both. You don't want to end up with all of the trailers weight being held by a hinge, you need to have some support for it and unless you can find some really strong hinges to hold it, I would not trust it.

I am all about making things work and figuring out how it can be done but it also needs to be safe and somewhat standard, inventing something new is not incorrect but you are starting from scratch.

I attached a drawing of what I am understanding from you, a side view is much more usefull in this application than a top view as all the structure and features are under it which I can't see how or where they connect in your drawing.

Comment

Some of our fire trucks here have a good bit of tail swing, especially our areal apparatus. It's not uncommon to wipe out someone's Mercedes a few times a year while making simple maneuvers through a parking lot or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post
                              Weeeell. The whole having 2 hinged pieces so its a fully collapsable trailer seems a bit iffy. I could see one piece of metal folding but I would not trust both. You don't want to end up with all of the trailers weight being held by a hinge, you need to have some support for it and unless you can find some really strong hinges to hold it, I would not trust it.

I am all about making things work and figuring out how it can be done but it also needs to be safe and somewhat standard, inventing something new is not incorrect but you are starting from scratch.

I attached a drawing of what I am understanding from you, a side view is much more usefull in this application than a top view as all the structure and features are under it which I can't see how or where they connect in your drawing.
                              Yes, that's pretty much it. In front of the hinge there is no weight, it's only a support to connect the platform.
                              The hinge I was thinking of using 1" aluminum tubing cut into 1' pieces and a steel 1" rod as the pin.
                              Would this type of hinge work?
                              It has to have a hinge or when going up an embankment such as a driveway it would put too much stress on the RV and trailer.
                              My bike is in the shop right know I should have it back before next weekend. I bought some 2" X2" lumber and I will make a mock-up of what I'm thinking when I get the bike back

Comment

Well, What do you mean "in front of the hinge"?

Are you planning on having a wheel under each platform? That way if your going down a dip, one of the pieces will bend down with the hinge while the other half is still supported as it will otherwise loose support and both pieces will sag. See drawing.

I would not use aluminum for a hinge like this, in this case, I think steel is your better option, Aluminum is just too easy to grind and cut, its a softer metal so the rod will wear it out in no time. For hinges, use steel. Yes, aluminum hinges do exist but I would not use one here.

Now, is that drawing what you had in mind? The whole collapsible idea to make it less space consuming, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X