Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where bouts on this planet are you?

Comment

Just oversize it, worst thing that can happen is it never breaks.

I build a lot of stuff for people and I ALWAYS oversize, I do a ramp, its gotta hold a lot of weight, don't care what they roll over it, 5,000 pounds at least. I take what other people design and build and I will redesign it but I will build it stronger, always have and always will, you just can't go wrong.

I don't know why you would use channel, you loose a web, might as well use square, won't make much difference and you won't have dirt or water (depending which side the channel is open on) getting into it and do 3/16" wall. I would use 6061 T-6 as you won't find much stronger aluminum out there and its easy peasy to weld with some 5356 or 4943 (despite you not welding) so if you end up getting someone to weld it for you, they can.
      if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        Where bouts on this planet are you?
        I'm in Ft. Lauderdale

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post
          I don't know why you would use channel, you loose a web, might as well use square, won't make much difference and you won't have dirt or water (depending which side the channel is open on) getting into it and do 3/16" wall. I would use 6061 T-6 as you won't find much stronger aluminum out there and its easy peasy to weld with some 5356 or 4943 (despite you not welding) so if you end up getting someone to weld it for you, they can.
          I was talking to a welder yesterday that mentioned that. He said he would use 2" square tubing with rounded corners 6061.
          I will be uploading some pix as soon as I can make them smaller so they can be uploaded

Comment

The welder said my plan to put a hinge in the middle is not going to work.
            I'm thinking of what to use on the deck. It needs to be solid and as light as possible and hold up around 1,000 pounds

Comment

Well, 6061 T-6 is pretty darn strong. I built a ramp out of it 2 weeks ago, 44 X 46" 1/4" diamomond plate on top and 2.5" 6061 T-6 square with 1.8th wall cut to slope and it held a 15.000 thousand pound Sysco trailer so I have faith in the 6061 stuff.

The larger diameter you get, the weaker the metal gets as the spacing between supporting webs gets further and further, you could get 1" or use 2 pieces of 1" which would make it even stronger as you double your webs.

Matter of fact, that's what I would blindly recommend without seeing a drawing or picture. Instead of using 1, 2" piece, use 2, 1" pieces of square.

But why the rounded corners? Rounded corners are for food contact structures? I am not totally sure what your building or what your layout is but I have typed 3 different scenarious that might involve rounded being preferred but deleted them as I can't get it to make sense as I am typing it.

Could you do us all a favor and do a crude drawing in paint or word document or something? We can help you solve it but we each have our own idea of what your trying to do.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Square would work, he just mentioned rounded. I think because he has some in his shop

Comment

Looks like you have a big diesel pusher there...Seems like a fun project out of aluminum, but you might strongly consider steel. There are considerations with an aluminum trailer that you won't have to worry about with steel...or so I understand. Either way, its not going to be something you're going to like to push around the yard without someone to help you, especially with that single wheel under there.

For me, I think I would go substantially heavier that 1/8" wall, especially for the coupler/tongue(s). If you're near a tractor supply, they usually have aluminum trailers for sale sitting in their parking lot, might think about going over there any taking a look at the construction materials. Just ignore the crappy welds you'll find on them...a bit scary if you ask me.

If you were near me, in Beaumont Texas, I'd jump in and give you a hand with that project. You're a bit far from me for a six pack of beer to satisfy my usual requirement for a weekend project.

Comment

Ryan, thanks, what about a 12 pack?

Comment

Hmmm....tempting....

Comment

Haha, Gotta love Ryans prices.

I would do 3/16" wall if it was me, the heavier the better but its also gotta be logical. I think your on the right track. I have no clue what your drawing is representing or trying to tell me along with the pictures but if Ryans willing to jump in I think your on the right track.

Just make sure its 6061-T6, stuff is fantastic and easy to weld. At this point, you should consider welding as well as fastening, gives more options. Can't weld aluminum to steel though but you could get yourself some badass framing with a bunch of 1" or 2" squares. I don't think they are much different in strength and you will have an easier time working with 1" + its cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X