X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RobC
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironken View Post
    ... I have had more than a few nickel jobs turn into a set of gates or other projects once somebody sees what you can do. My main income is not welding but, it sure is nice when I make money that I can put back into equipment that does not come from the household budget.
    If a Business has the work and charges enough an expensive Welding Machine and complete set of Accessories can be paid for in a week.

If things were super slow or you don't charge nearly enough you'll get all your money back in a couple of months.

If you can weld, it can be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    true. i just enjoy creating things.. the largest thing ive made so far is a bar for brother-in-laws movie room along with a small side table for remotes and drinks.. even added remote control LED lights. , Made myself a new king size bed frame since ours was old.. time permitting ill make a custom head board for it..made a few rocket stoves, started working on a adult trike and a number of other things..

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    It won't take long. One of your friends or family members will send one of their friends to you for something. Around where I live, welding shops aren't particular easy to deal with and don't really like the small repair jobs. For me, I don't want a lot of work, I just want a little work. I have other things to do too....like put my old lathe back together.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    Well the unsure part of things is word of mouth, ive built things for family and now friends but have no idea if they will every share the word.. but like i said, this is just hobby and fun.. my actual side job is websites and application design.. so have few options for side work..

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Yup...I got a small job the other day on a reference from someone I did another small job for, so it will perpetuate.

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    Build your skills anyway. Before you know it, you will have all sorts of odd crap showing up at your door. $10 here and $50 there adds up and can turn into some good coin sometimes if people see that you have the skillset to get them taken care of! I have had more than a few nickel jobs turn into a set of gates or other projects once somebody sees what you can do. My main income is not welding but, it sure is nice when I make money that I can put back into equipment that does not come from the household budget.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    yea just need to practice, since this is for hobby, just need the time.. if i was already making money off this, id be out there even more time devoted to building and practicing my skills..

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    Keep at it. I'm sure you'll get it going your way!

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    And being im welding everything else, no need to use JB..

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    The first one pictured above, i already completed, and gave to the girl. But being as simple as they are to make, i was going to make more and wanted to perfect the technique on welding the perforated metal to the shoes..

If i have time, ill actually get few of the scraps and put together and see if i understand it right..

And ive been using TIG, since i havent run out of gas yet, but will swap over to MIG once i run out of gas.

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    That is exactly correct cubangt! If you are using small washers, you need to be sure you are getting through to the base metal. If the washer fills up too much....knock the booger down with a sanding or flap disc. Im assuming you are using a MIG. Now, looking at your pic, the washers may look goofy. Like others have said, you can build up your puddle on the shoe and just nudge it into the screen and stop. I detest adhesives but, have you thought about......ugh! dare I say it......JB Weld?

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    So just to understand this process, here is a quick simple layers look, is this correct? Then arc right in the middle of the washer hot enough that you melt the perforated material along with the washer to join it all together?

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    Hey Ryan, thank you! Yep, a rivet of sorts.

cubangt, no pics. It simply looks like a button on the surface of the screen. If you try this, be sure you hit it hot enough to burn through the screen into the base metal and hit it in the very center of the washer to ensure this. Clamp it tight.
    Last edited by Ironken; 11-07-2016, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cubangt
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironken View Post
    I know this is a little late but, when welding privacy screen to gates and doors I have used washers and placed them over the screen. i run hot to burn into the thicker material and through the screen and end up with a rosette weld in the center of the washer.
    Would you happen to have a pic of how it looks afterwords? or even before and after..

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That's genius. So even if you burn through the screen, it's basically riveted in place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X