Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Well I have no smarts about lathes, so I hope some of his knowledge wears off on me.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    You're welcome. I was very impressed with Steve's attention to detail and "street smarts" about lathes.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Got the book and wicks and stuff in the mail yesterday, looks like a pretty thorough manual. If anyone with little experience like me gets themselves into this situation, buy this book and skip to the appendices, lots of great info to know before starting. <br />
    <br />
    Thanks for the link Wayne!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That's genius!

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Here is the tool block I milled and drilled with the lathe. Then the same finished tool block holding a small shaft getting a keyway cut in it with the lathe. I just shim up and down to suit. And the ER40 collet chuck was made on this lathe also, 2nd pic...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Here is one of my milling setups. The compound is replaced with an angle block. It was made to make a specific part but I clamp almost anything to it. I have tons more pics but they need resized...Bob
    Thanks, Bob. Nice rig. Don't know why my subconscious mind was insisting on the ability to move in two axes, and thus waiting to find a reasonably priced milling attachment. Your single-axis approach is simple and would be effective for most things. Probably have everything needed lying around. Feel kind of dumb for not having already done that. Guess we just have those blind spots sometimes. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Here is one of my milling setups. The compound is replaced with an angle block. It was made to make a specific part but I clamp almost anything to it. I have tons more pics but they need resized...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Another project done and in the mail. I am the largest South Bend pulley maker in the US for those of us with old iron. Turned from 4" steel round bar and turned on an arbor. Keyway added with a broach and shop press. One thing about machines that you can make your own stuff. In this pic I made the chuck backplate, arbor, pulley and tool post. All made on the lathe. Even milled the tool post with the lathe. Enjoy...Bob
    Bob, beautiful work. Thanks for the pics.

Pretty neat even milling your own toolpost. I keep looking for a reasonably priced milling attachment for my 9" Model A, but just cannot justify the cost for the amount I think I would use it. I'll just keep watching and maybe someday one will come along, or I'll find a deal on a small benchtop mill.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?
    Mine has the Dayton switch also--looks just like the one on your shop fan.

My lathe came already mounted on a substantial bench, and I really liked the way the guy mounted the switch. He bent a piece of 3/4" conduit 90 degrees with about a 2 1/2 foot radius and welded a plate on one end to tie it down. It mounts at the back of the bench behind the motor and countershaft, and places the switch about 8" above the outboard end of the headstock. Incredibly convenient, and very safe-far from any moving parts. I had seen that done before, but never actually used a lathe set up that way. I really like it.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I need to come spend some time in your shop. Definitely be the way to fast track my skills. Nice job.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Another project done and in the mail. I am the largest South Bend pulley maker in the US for those of us with old iron. Turned from 4" steel round bar and turned on an arbor. Keyway added with a broach and shop press. One thing about machines that you can make your own stuff. In this pic I made the chuck backplate, arbor, pulley and tool post. All made on the lathe. Even milled the tool post with the lathe. Enjoy...Bob

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I wish it had a three phase motor, that would give me a reason to buy a VFD! It's a single phase 115 or 230v. I plan to use 230.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    I ordered that kit and book Wayne recommended. Steve, the eBay seller, was super nice and even offered some advice and let me know to not be afraid to email him if I have any questions. <br />
    <br />
    I found on eBay an original power switch for this thing, but I think I'll probably just go to Grainger and get something brand new. What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?
    is your motor single or 3phase......???...... if 3ph....(and your shop doesnt have it)... there are a lot of decent VFD's out there... reasonable....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...d&_sacat=12576

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?
    I have Graingers/Daytons on mine. Just keep it where you don't reach over the machine to turn it off. Right down front so its easy to get to...Bob

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I ordered that kit and book Wayne recommended. Steve, the eBay seller, was super nice and even offered some advice and let me know to not be afraid to email him if I have any questions. <br />
    <br />
    I found on eBay an original power switch for this thing, but I think I'll probably just go to Grainger and get something brand new. What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X