No announcement yet.

brought me home a new toy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No kidding!! Holy smokes, I'm gonna be reading lathe stuff until my eyes bleed!<br />
    <br />
    I moved her to her final duty station earlier today, now just have to run power over there. But I need to run fresh power for helga, so I'll kill two machines with one monkey wrench. <br />
    <br />
    My experience on a lathe is limited to what little I've done on my super cute little craftsman 109. I'm ready to learn and I have some projects. Had a buddy come over earlier and tell me he has some stuff for me to do too. That just helps me gain experience. <br />
    <br />
    You guys could still come here for a lathe putting back together party ya know....

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
      http://wewilliams.net/SBLibrary.htm Some great info I have had stashed for a long time...Bob
      That is fantastic stuff! I'm following H80N's advice - don't want to count on it always being there.

Comment

Ryan, congratulations,nice find, your going to be happy with that, the fun is putting them back together, it will only go one way, don't get big hammer that only makes things worse, the one I am getting the fellow took apart but all the pieces are there, that is good size and is much a man, turning it one thing but threading is a wonderful that you will find the most enjoyable, if you need help say so I did notice a few fellows in the tube that are restoring some, don't know if I will get into that detail did on a couple of Atlas lathe, Shaper and two mini lathes from Horrible Freight, take your time, try the pieces as you go to make sure they work, great find, Joe

Comment

I ordered that kit and book Wayne recommended. Steve, the eBay seller, was super nice and even offered some advice and let me know to not be afraid to email him if I have any questions. <br />
          <br />
          I found on eBay an original power switch for this thing, but I think I'll probably just go to Grainger and get something brand new. What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?
            I have Graingers/Daytons on mine. Just keep it where you don't reach over the machine to turn it off. Right down front so its easy to get to...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

I ordered that kit and book Wayne recommended. Steve, the eBay seller, was super nice and even offered some advice and let me know to not be afraid to email him if I have any questions. <br />
              <br />
              I found on eBay an original power switch for this thing, but I think I'll probably just go to Grainger and get something brand new. What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?
              is your motor single or 3phase......???...... if 3ph....(and your shop doesnt have it)... there are a lot of decent VFD's out there... reasonable....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...d&_sacat=12576

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I wish it had a three phase motor, that would give me a reason to buy a VFD! It's a single phase 115 or 230v. I plan to use 230.

Comment

Another project done and in the mail. I am the largest South Bend pulley maker in the US for those of us with old iron. Turned from 4" steel round bar and turned on an arbor. Keyway added with a broach and shop press. One thing about machines that you can make your own stuff. In this pic I made the chuck backplate, arbor, pulley and tool post. All made on the lathe. Even milled the tool post with the lathe. Enjoy...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

I need to come spend some time in your shop. Definitely be the way to fast track my skills. Nice job.

Comment

What kind of switch do you guys use one yours?
                      Mine has the Dayton switch also--looks just like the one on your shop fan.

My lathe came already mounted on a substantial bench, and I really liked the way the guy mounted the switch. He bent a piece of 3/4" conduit 90 degrees with about a 2 1/2 foot radius and welded a plate on one end to tie it down. It mounts at the back of the bench behind the motor and countershaft, and places the switch about 8" above the outboard end of the headstock. Incredibly convenient, and very safe-far from any moving parts. I had seen that done before, but never actually used a lathe set up that way. I really like it.

Comment

Another project done and in the mail. I am the largest South Bend pulley maker in the US for those of us with old iron. Turned from 4" steel round bar and turned on an arbor. Keyway added with a broach and shop press. One thing about machines that you can make your own stuff. In this pic I made the chuck backplate, arbor, pulley and tool post. All made on the lathe. Even milled the tool post with the lathe. Enjoy...Bob
                        Bob, beautiful work. Thanks for the pics.

Pretty neat even milling your own toolpost. I keep looking for a reasonably priced milling attachment for my 9" Model A, but just cannot justify the cost for the amount I think I would use it. I'll just keep watching and maybe someday one will come along, or I'll find a deal on a small benchtop mill.

Comment

Here is one of my milling setups. The compound is replaced with an angle block. It was made to make a specific part but I clamp almost anything to it. I have tons more pics but they need resized...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

Here is one of my milling setups. The compound is replaced with an angle block. It was made to make a specific part but I clamp almost anything to it. I have tons more pics but they need resized...Bob
                            Thanks, Bob. Nice rig. Don't know why my subconscious mind was insisting on the ability to move in two axes, and thus waiting to find a reasonably priced milling attachment. Your single-axis approach is simple and would be effective for most things. Probably have everything needed lying around. Feel kind of dumb for not having already done that. Guess we just have those blind spots sometimes. Thanks again!

Comment

Here is the tool block I milled and drilled with the lathe. Then the same finished tool block holding a small shaft getting a keyway cut in it with the lathe. I just shim up and down to suit. And the ER40 collet chuck was made on this lathe also, 2nd pic...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

That's genius!

Comment

Working...
                                X