Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gnewby
    replied
    Youngwelder, what I stated above about the small mig welders is you can operate them using flux core wire which you can use to weld outside, without requiring gas. You could weld out doors using solid wire and gas if you set up some sort of a wind blind to prevent the gas from being blown away from the weld. I do not have any chart in front of me but since you mentioned 10 gage metal thickness, you will probably be pushing around the top end of the HH 140 class welder. You should be able to get into the specs under these welders and see what they should be able to weld. I would think though that the 140 class using flux wire should handle that okay.

What I mentioned earlier about the power source is that the small migs that are operating on 110 volt power source need a good supply of 110 volts. In order to do this you should have the welder plugged into a socket that is supplying juice only to the welder, and it should have a 20 amp breaker on it. The extension cord can be of 14 awg for up to 50 feet in length, if using 12 awg the cord can be up to 200 feet in length.

Leave a comment:

• youngwelder_154

• youngwelder_154
    replied
    well i only have a regualr outlet, but is it possable to get a extention cord that can go into a bigger outlet? I want to beable to do small projects probly anything under 10G steele up to 10G. I really didnt think you could weld GMAW outside my welding teacher told us it wont work outside but he could be wroung you guys would probly know more then him. What would porbly be more to run a SMAW or a GMAWbecause i know the GMAWs need a tanki or ARG C02 so I will have to rent a tank

Leave a comment:

• gnewby
    replied
    What is your electrical supply, How thick of metal do you plan to weld, what types of projects? If it is only 110 volts you are going to be pretty limited in what you can buy generally a 110 volt mig. If it is going to be 220 you could run either a stick or a 220 volt mig.

You do have the options in the mig welders in the 110 volt class of the Hobart 125, or the Hobart 140. Both of these would be in the price range you mentioned. You could use flux core in either of these welding outdoors. Both of which would need a dedicated 20 amp circuit, with requirements on how long the extention cord can be and size of wire that it can be. They are made by Hobart which is made at the same place as the Miller Welders.

If you have 220 handy you could buy either the Thunderbolt or Stickmate welder, any of which you could make your 1st project makeing a cart for so you could move it to where you needed to.

Any of the welders will have electrical requirements as to how far or how long of an extention cord you can run with them and the size of wire that the cord can be.

Leave a comment:

• youngwelder_154

• youngwelder_154
    started a topic Need help Selecting a welder

Need help Selecting a welder

In the next couple months maybe the summer I would really like to buy a welder, my only problem is i will only beable to use it outside and im pretty sure you cant get a GMAW and use it outside, I was really thinking of getting a SMAW but is it possible to get one that will be easy to carry so if i need practice or use it for somethign i can take it with me and money is an issue, I checked at Canadian Tire they have Lincons for about $400 but i have my heart set on getting a Miller hince why I use this site, So is it possible I could pick up a cheap but reasonably good SMAW welder for under $500?I also know the sayign "you get what you pay for".
Working...
X