X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJsparks
    • Jul 2006

Cast Iron Repair

Hey guys. I've been reading for awhile,first time thread.
    Need to repair an equipment roller made of cast iron. Any suggestions?
    I have some hobart 99 but I read somewhere else it should only be used as a single pass. Use 99 for the root and Hobart 55 for the cover passes. Also should I preheat the whole thing or just around the weld area. The ground out area was a crack and on the broken side I want to replace with hot roll.What can I do to attach hot roll to cast?

TJ
    Attached Files
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Miller CP 200 w/S21-E & Spoolmatic 3
    Miller Bobcat 225

Hobart R-300

"There are two kind of people in this world. Those who can weld and those who can't." Jesse James
  • aametalmaster
    Chairman Of The Board
    • Sep 2005

If you are sure its cast iron just use a good Ni cast iron rod. If it is cast steel use 7018. Be sure to give it a little preheat before welding...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

• wb5jhy
      • Sep 2005

Kinda looks like steel to me. Shiney bluish tint where it's clean ground. Maybe a forged steel or cast steel part. If it is iron and you have to pre and post heat make sure you isolate those rollers if they have bearings in them.

Comment

• TJsparks
        • Jul 2006

I think you guys nailed it. Cast steel. Did a spark test and sparks just like steel. What about tig on cast steel? TJ
        Miller Syncrowave 250
        Miller CP 200 w/S21-E & Spoolmatic 3
        Miller Bobcat 225

Hobart R-300

"There are two kind of people in this world. Those who can weld and those who can't." Jesse James

Comment

Working...
        X