drum switch help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drum switch help

The good news is, it didn't explode. I was such a wus too, face shield and welding gloves...anyway....

Nope. Still smoked and only one direction worked, throw the switch the other way and nothing happens. It was worth a try and I appreciate the help. Maybe swap the red and black and see what happens?

Comment

drum switch help

That didn't work either. Same thing. You think a BFH would help?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        That didn't work either. Same thing. You think a BFH would help?
        As tempting as it might be I think your hammer best stay in the drawer. Just went out to mow some grass and the bolts had fallen out of the muffler and the carburetor was loose. Hammer is tempting here too.
        And if you switch the wires at the motor it will run in both directions? I'm mystified. Back to the drawing board I guess.---Meltedmetal

PS-Nothing wrong with playing it safe either.---Mm
        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

drum switch help

When I swapped the red and black, still only turns one direction and not at all in the other. You can hear it burning inside then it starts to smoke and gets hot as ****.

I know there's a solution, and the BFH isn't it, but **** it would be fun.

Comment

I thought Meltedmetal might be on to something but apparently not. Have you tried not using the drum switch at all, and just hooking up the black and white power feed wires to 1 and 4 on the motor and trying to run it in both directions by swapping the black and red wires on terms 1 and 5 on the motor? (If you did that and it's in the thread I apologize for missing it.) If it runs OK that way, then I think the motor is not wired in the "standard" way with the connections from its terminals to its Start and Run windings--perhaps an attempt at a design to make it easier to reverse without a drum switch. If it works that way, it could be reversed by wiring in a standard double pole double throw toggle switch of the appropriate rating-can help with the wiring diagram to do that if you need it. (It may be possible to hook up a drum switch that way but I need to study the switch a bit). Have one on my lathe and don't remember any issues like this hooking it up. If you were to go the toggle switch route I would add a single pole switch in the black power feed wire to the motor just for safety-be sure all power to the motor is off when you're not using it.

Comment

Ya, when you wire the motor normal, it works fine, turns both ways when you flop the red and black to the start coil and doesn't smoke. So it appears the motor is working as designed.

My first instinct was to use a DPDT toggle and I actually have one. I haven't tried using it yet because I got this fancy drum switch for $65. I was hoping to get away with not having a separate switch for power and one for direction of rotation. If I go that route, this is a wiring diagram to the start coil I'd try first.

Thanks for the help!
              Attached Files

Comment

I know the motor worked in both directions when you first got it. Have you verified that it still does and wasn't damaged in your experiments? Just asking as it is easy to overcook stuff.
                ---Meltedmetal

Comment

drum switch help

Ya, it was the last thing I did in the shop last night after the last try since it would only turn in one direction with that wire up job.

Comment

Here's something that I think will work. My guess is as I said earlier that the motor does not have "standard" internal wiring, since what you've already done should have worked. This is my first try at uploading a photo; hope it works. This approach switches the power off in the center position of the drum switch, and just reverses the black and red wires, exactly as you did when you just moved the wires around at the motor. Anxious to see if it works.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DrumSwitch.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	519002

Comment

No connection to terminal 1 on the switch.

Comment

if you havent found it yet, a cheaper and simpler alternative to drum switch that works on my drill press for tapping (3/4 hp) for the last 10-15 years ...

i used an on off switch and for reversing a double pole double throw switch less than 10$.

1. neutral from source connects to motor #4
                        2. 115 volt power from on off switch connects to dpdt # 3
                        3. #5 from motor connects to dpdt #4
                        4. Red from motor connects to dpdt #1 & 6 (jumper wire connects them together)
                        5. Black from motor connects to dpdt #2 & 5 (jumper........................................)

that works for me.Click image for larger version

Name:	DPDT-toggle-switch-diagram.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	519006

if you switch to reverse while motor runs it keeps going in the same direction, on mine there is a starting switch with centrifugal mechanism and as long as it's not back to start it wont reverse. good luck

Comment

I've been out of town since Friday, just got back in. I'll give that wiring diagram a try. I wanted to call Dayton Motor company up and ask them what the magic solution is, but they're owned by Grainger and the only numbers I can find go directly to the sales team of Grainger. Go figure right?

Any potential problems you guys see with having the neutral not running through the drum switch? Maybe I should dig a little deeper into one of these motors I got and see what wired up behind the curtain. Or just use the dadgum DPDT toggle and switch that cost 1/6th what the drum switch cost.

I'll give this one a shot later and report back.

Comment

What kind of fan are we reversing?

Comment

drum switch help

115v split phase electric motor for an exhaust fan in my fab shop. Dayton motor and drum switch from Grainger.

Comment

This is the fan temporarily wired direct. I also have a motor to open the shutters. The shutter motor is the easy part. Still need to build a belt guard for that thing. Backed into it the other day cleaning the shop. Could've been bad.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X