drum switch help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drum switch help

So I've read just about every forum I can find about wiring a drum switch to an electric motor, and I did one successfully years ago, no problem. Now its a problem. I'm trying to wire up a ventilation fan in my small fab shop out back. The thing is, I'd like to make the fan reversible and I know it can be done. I got my hands on an old attic fan, went down to grainer and got a new motor and drum switch, wired exactly as the schematic shows and I'm having trouble.

The motor works, even changes direction like it should when you flop the lever over, only the motor starts to smoke in about 10 seconds or so. I can wire the motor up direct without the switch and it works fine. With the drum switch, not so much.

I've read on some other forums about it and can't seem to solve my problem. Also seems like some guys get beat up pretty good about asking this question since, apparently, its been covered a time or three across the inter web.

Anyone interested in giving it a shot and seeing if we can work this out? I'll post all the details you need if there are some takers here.

Thanks!

Ryan

Welcome to the forum Ryan.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA200

Comment

Not 1000% sure ,but don't you need a capacitor to change direction on an AC motor?

Comment

Sorry-tried to respond sooner but somehow got it posted to the wrong thread. If you will post wiring diagrams for the motor and the switch I'll try to help.

Comment

drum switch help

I've been trying to reply here as well and for some reason can't. I'll keep trying.

Comment

These are the diagrams on the switch and the motor. One is a sticker on the new motor.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's some pics of the hardware. This is my bench test setup. I think I an over powering the single phase somehow causing the motor to burn up. I bought this motor specifically to experiment on because I need that fan running as it's direct wired at the moment. Thoughts?
              Attached Files

Comment

Forgot one diagram
                Attached Files

Comment

This is what I've done, if it makes sense. Just extended the red and black to the center lugs on the switch to flip flop polarity.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    This is what I've done, if it makes sense. Just extended the red and black to the center lugs on the switch to flip flop polarity.
                    Sorry to be so slow-just got home. Will print out your pix and diagrams on Thurs and see if I can help figure this out. I think there are some real electricians on this forum who might also be able to help; perhaps one will join in.

Comment

Looks to me like:
                      On the switch- #1 to Hot line terminal on the motor, #2 to incoming line hot, #3 to neutral line terminal on the motor, #4 to black, # 5 to red, #6 to incoming line neutral.
                      Last edited by Meltedmetal; 05-21-2015, 06:46 AM.
                      ---Meltedmetal

Comment

From the switch:

S1 to hot on the motor run coil
                        S2 Hot into the switch
                        S3 to black on the start coil
                        S4 to red on the start coil
                        S5 to neutral on the motor run coil
                        S6 neutral into the switch

This is how it is wired now, and as I understand the wiring diagrams from the switch and the motor. For the black and red from the start coil, all I did was extend those wires to S3 and S4 so they reverse when the drum switch is flopped over. Makes the motor change directions, but also makes it smoke. Not sure, but I think its sort of bad for an electric motor to smoke. It also gets really hot really quick.

I'm headed out of town for about 4 days starting tomorrow morning, so if I don't get back on here until tuesday-ish, thats why. I appreciate the help gents!

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

...wait...Mr. Meltedmetal....are you saying that how you have it listed is how I need to wire it? I'll certainly give it a try if so. I think I may have misunderstood your post.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            ...wait...Mr. Meltedmetal....are you saying that how you have it listed is how I need to wire it? I'll certainly give it a try if so. I think I may have misunderstood your post.
                            Yes that is what I'm saying. I'm not an expert. Draw the circuits so you can follow them though the switch to the motor and though the coils in the motor. I may be wrong but I assume that the red and black wires are each one end of 2 individual windings and the 2 line input connections are the other end of those 2 coils. Good luck.
                            ---Meltedmetal

Comment

drum switch help

I'm gonna give that a try right now. Should know in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X