Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got some huge transformers! Will they work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4given
    replied
    Transformers = Bad Idea

In the interest of life safety you should scrap them. Transformers are either step up or step down voltage depending on the windings and configuration. They are design specific. I have a much longer real life story about 480v street lights from when I worked for the power company in Jacksonville, Florida if you want to PM me it was literally a shocking story.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    never thought I'd be more inclined to view a 120v welder/trailer thread until now.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    It's not a welder, likely won't ever be a welder. Re purposing it as a boat anchor might work.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    It will be cheaper to buy a used welder

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Was it your street light? the city or power company may be looking for it. Just sayin...Bob

Leave a comment:

• dandeman
    replied
    Light Ballast transformers are very custom application devices

Find the manufacturer's name and part number if possible and look it up. But.. I would suspect those are high pressure sodium light ballasts...

Here is a link to such a device ... picked one of the larger ones at 1 kw... secondary open circuit voltage .. 435 volts.. secondary current 7 amp category...

typical spec...
    http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/...0W/71A8743.pdf

Very dangerous output voltages and not enough current capability..

Suggest you sell the copper and put that return toward a proper welder.. Also I can see impact damage to some of the windings...
    Last edited by dandeman; 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lupus71
    started a topic Got some huge transformers! Will they work?

Got some huge transformers! Will they work?

I got these from a street light that fell over and am wondering if I can make a welder with them. I'm not sure if they are 220 or what anybody know if and how I could wire them up? Thanks!
    Attached Files
Working...
X