X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goat Driver
    started a topic TIG'n cast aluminum parts

TIG'n cast aluminum parts

Had a cast aluminum engine part, a timing chain cover, to weld up yesterday. These cast aluminum pieces are always interesting to weld on, sometimes it is good, sometimes not so good....

Syncrowave 200, 175 amps, balance 7.3, straight argon @ 17cfh, 2% Lanthanated tungsten (sharp tip), 4043 filler

damaged area

a hole worn through the casting allowing water into the engine oil

welded up

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I guess the signature doesn't show up on the app version of this forum. I use the iPhone app 90% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Forced_Firebird
    replied
    I wish. Maybe this year I will be able to afford it. With 4 kids, one in college and still building the shop up, money is tight. The CNC machine is on the fritz, that is priority. Kinda the reason I singed up here and was asking about converting my Sync to do Dynasty-esque welds lol.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Thanks! That's only a tip of our iceberg. My partner runs the webstore and the v6 stuff from Indiana. I do more if the fabrication and installs down here in FL, lot's of vintage BMW's. Click on the Instagram link in my signature to see lots of pics
    some fun stuff here....

https://www.youtube.com/user/johnlcaraher/videos

Think you are ready to graduate to a Miller Dynasty...............

Leave a comment:

• Forced_Firebird
    replied
    Thanks! That's only a tip of our iceberg. My partner runs the webstore and the v6 stuff from Indiana. I do more if the fabrication and installs down here in FL, lot's of vintage BMW's. Click on the Instagram link in my signature to see lots of pics

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Like the 60V6 stuff.... you should post some of it on the Motorsports forum............

https://wot-tech.com/

Leave a comment:

• Forced_Firebird
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post

John

Request Sent....!!!!

PLS send me your Email (via PM if you like)
    Opps. Here is fine, but will keep the bots away: John(at)WOT-Tech(dot)com

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied

My shop is in Pompano Beach, FL. It's in the signature. Tried to edit the bits under my profile page, but it kept telling me something about custom field can't be edited. *shrug*.

Replied. Yeah started Google'ing already. Intrigued.
    John

Request Sent....!!!!

PLS send me your Email (via PM if you like)

Leave a comment:

• Forced_Firebird
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Where is "here"?<br />
    <br />
    To me, it seems like 4943 wets in better on the cast jobs and it flows nicely. There was a good forum post about it a while back. The Hobart aluminum guru got on there and laid it all out for us. He even called my LWS to let them know it's available and how to order it. I don't know if they're still sending out samples of the stuff anymore though. <br />
    <br />
    I enjoy using the stuff and I very rarely know what grade of aluminum I'm working with. Most repair work and fabbercobbled stuff with whatever I can get my hands on at the scrap yard. Total Roadkill stuff.
    My shop is in Pompano Beach, FL. It's in the signature. Tried to edit the bits under my profile page, but it kept telling me something about custom field can't be edited. *shrug*.

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Here is an old thread on 4943..... Good Stuff...........

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...casting-repair

BTW... I sent you a PM
    Replied. Yeah started Google'ing already. Intrigued.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Looks great!

Can you guys tell me more about the 4943?

I have been bouncing back and forth between 4340 and 5356. I use 4043 on oil pans as it's supposed to take the heat and 5356 on turbo piping bits.

As a side note, we have this stuff here called "Formula 88". It's a great degreaser and is "supposed" to be biodegradable. I soak the pans in 100% solution for a couple hours and it comes out looking brand new. Some oil always seems to stay in the casting, but that stuff is a night and day difference for welding - takes nearly no elbow grease at all, but you have to have the time to soak it.
    Here is an old thread on 4943..... Good Stuff...........

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...casting-repair

BTW... I sent you a PM
    Last edited by H80N; 12-24-2016, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Where is "here"?<br />
    <br />
    To me, it seems like 4943 wets in better on the cast jobs and it flows nicely. There was a good forum post about it a while back. The Hobart aluminum guru got on there and laid it all out for us. He even called my LWS to let them know it's available and how to order it. I don't know if they're still sending out samples of the stuff anymore though. <br />
    <br />
    I enjoy using the stuff and I very rarely know what grade of aluminum I'm working with. Most repair work and fabbercobbled stuff with whatever I can get my hands on at the scrap yard. Total Roadkill stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Forced_Firebird
    replied
    Looks great!

Can you guys tell me more about the 4943?

I have been bouncing back and forth between 4340 and 5356. I use 4043 on oil pans as it's supposed to take the heat and 5356 on turbo piping bits.

As a side note, we have this stuff here called "Formula 88". It's a great degreaser and is "supposed" to be biodegradable. I soak the pans in 100% solution for a couple hours and it comes out looking brand new. Some oil always seems to stay in the casting, but that stuff is a night and day difference for welding - takes nearly no elbow grease at all, but you have to have the time to soak it.

Leave a comment:

• Lostone
    replied
    Originally posted by Goat Driver View Post

Thanks!

I had to weld up a 22R timing cover just a few weeks ago, it was in worse shape than this one. forgot to take pics of that one.
    There was a time when we would have one of those 22R series engines in the shop once a week with a hole in the timing cover. I guess Toyota was trying to save money when the went with the single row chain in '83. Always amazed me that people would keep driving with all that chain slap noises.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Yup, I used 4943 on a cast aluminum handle a week or 2 ago. A fridge handle, thing gets janked on all day long. Still holding to this day, there is something magic about the 4943 stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Ever since you got me hooked up with that sample of 4943, that's what I've used on my cast aluminum repairs. Haven't had a repair like this, but seems pretty straight forward. Certainly better than something busted clean off or even repairing cracks that run this way and that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X