How to solder nickels & other coins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to solder nickels & other coins.

I'm trying to solder coins (pennies, nickels, dimes) and keys to make individual spheres of each as Christmas presents. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how I would go about this?I have great Christmas gifts ideas, it's just how to go about making my ideas happen!!

Here is a piece I made using US nickels which may help.
    I tigged it together as I had some RN67 wire.
    Since the US nickel is 75% copper and 25% nickel, the RN67 wire was a close match.

A nickel, in American usage, is a five-cent coin struck by the United States Mint.
    Composed of 75% copper and 25% nickel, the piece has been issued since 1866.

Chemical Composition of Inweld 67 ERCuNi
    Cu Balance
    Fe 0.40-0.75
    Si .025
    Ni 29.0-32.0
    Pb .02
    Mn 1.00
    P .02
    Ti .20-0.50
    Total Other(s) 0.50

US pennies have different composition based on mint year.
    I've never tried soldering pennies but I would suggest using pennies with mint years of 1981 or earlier as these are mostly copper and should be easier to solder.

1944–1946 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
    1946–1962 bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
    1962–1981 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
    1962–1981 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
    1983–present 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating: pure copper)

Questions may arise as to the legality of using US coins in this manner.

U.S. Title 18, Chapter 17, Section 331: Prohibits among
    other things, fraudulent alteration and mutilation of coins. This
    statue does not, however, prohibit the mutilation of coins if done
    without fraudulent intent if the mutilated coins are not used "fraudulently."
    An example is the hand operated machines which turn a US penny into a souvenir medal.

Finally, if you want a bit of inspiration, look at this site: http://johnnyswing.com/
    Attached Files
    Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Maybe you could use a cheap glass sphere ornament as a template. You could build almost all of it around the ornament, then with the last one or two coins, carefully shatter out the glass then hand set the last pieces.

Comment

I have had good luck tig welding pennies together with 14 gauge copper wire from romex house wire (new romex). You need to use pennies pre 1982, newer pennies are mostly zinc as previously stated. It definitely takes some patience and some practice.

Comment

Working...
        X