Link Belt Stick Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link Belt Stick Repair

Got a call from customer of mine few weeks back to fix this.Machine got moved to a site to hammer need to plate the flanges when they get it back.Operator tried to push a large boulder with the hammer.This was the result.
    Attached Files
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I had trouble figuring out what exactly happened the first time I looked at it. Now I see the problem. I guess the operator had one of those UH-OH moments. Did you have to do it on a ladder? Any extra plates over the outside when you got done putting the original pcs. back together?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

I did two repairs like this this month, both on Cats. Operator side sweeping the boom with the tooth buried.
      Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
        I had trouble figuring out what exactly happened the first time I looked at it. Now I see the problem. I guess the operator had one of those UH-OH moments. Did you have to do it on a ladder? Any extra plates over the outside when you got done putting the original pcs. back together?
        Gonna plate the flanges around bores with A572 GR50 3/4" when machine comes back in off job.And yes was on a 12' step ladder most of this repair.
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

that plate is good and strong but yet its very brittle. everytime i see an operator side loading a boom i let them know just how wrong it is.but you can only warn them . had a guy at the yard givin me signals to swing the boom over and pickup but i wouldn't do it .that guy started yellin with some choice words for me to follow his signals but i wouldn't. i walked away from the crane and went and had a nice talk with him about side loading a crane . i build offshore hydraulic cranes and i repair them for a living and i seen way to many accidents happen because someone was doing something that they shouldnt have been doing.had to go cut a crane off a exxon platform that was tore off it's pedastol because they tried to unload a boat in rough seas. talk about something that will have your butt pucker so tight .had to set up a boom pole crane to hold the crane up after i cut it i was in between the handrail and the two cranes when i cut it.the boom pole crane is basicly a few sections of 8" pipe with flanges so you can add how many pieces you need to do the job. it's got a small winch at the base of it.
          they look very wimpy but yet they are some strong little cranes.

looks like you done a great job on the repair of that link belt.

Comment

I'm looking at the pictures, I see no evidence of any side-load. I think it is just like Billy (Admweld) said, the operator used the hammer improperly, and destroyed the joint up top.
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Oh, and by the way, nice repair, Billy.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                I'm looking at the pictures, I see no evidence of any side-load. I think it is just like Billy (Admweld) said, the operator used the hammer improperly, and destroyed the joint up top.
                He tried to push a boulder with the hammer.The distance off the stick from where it pins on probably multiplied the force on that part up top by at least 3 times more then normally would be with just a bucket on the stick.Exactly joe this was not caused from side loading.
                BB402D
                TB300D
                DIMENSION652
                MM250X
                MAXSTAR140
                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

He must have been really getting tough on the machine to have a break like that. Or it is a weak spot. Either way, nice repair.
                  Jeff

Comment

Welding method.

Originally posted by admweld View Post
                    Got a call from customer of mine few weeks back to fix this.Machine got moved to a site to hammer need to plate the flanges when they get it back.Operator tried to push a large boulder with the hammer.This was the result.

What was the welding process you used........ver impressive repair.

Comment

Originally posted by jmpgino View Post
                      What was the welding process you used........ver impressive repair.
                      Dual Shield Lincoln Ultracore 71A85 1/16"dia. 75/25 Gas.
                      BB402D
                      TB300D
                      DIMENSION652
                      MM250X
                      MAXSTAR140
                      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

That's an ugly one, think it will stay together? I had a similar failure to address on a hitachi 400 (or 450?? or was it a 600? It's been a while). Customer was using a 6' long single tooth ripping shank in rock. When it finally let go the stick pin pulled the ears on the boom out just like it was uncurled soft clay. The problem was trying to get the pieces back into orientation for the repair. Couldn't get any type of hydraulic puller to seem like it would work so I ended up making a template, undersized ID, sent it off to the flame cutters and they cut new thicker pieces out of QT-100. Then after welding I had a line bore truck come make the new ears true with the world and supplied a longer chromed pin for me. It was the only way I could come up with a repair that would be at least as strong as an OEM boom replacement.
                        hre

Comment

Nice repair, I like the fact that you new enough to cut out the old bent up plate and put in new, some guys waste a lot of time trying to vee groove, heat and beat the old stuff and end up with a maze of welds all over the place.

Very nice job.

I had a similar job a year ago where the boom tore around the pin that holds the stick, they had rolled the machine on the side and side loaded the boom trying to upright the machine, by the time I showed up everything was ripped apart but some of the top and a little of one side, I had to weld it some just so it could be loaded on the truck and brought back to the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                            That's an ugly one, think it will stay together? I had a similar failure to address on a hitachi 400 (or 450?? or was it a 600? It's been a while). Customer was using a 6' long single tooth ripping shank in rock. When it finally let go the stick pin pulled the ears on the boom out just like it was uncurled soft clay. The problem was trying to get the pieces back into orientation for the repair. Couldn't get any type of hydraulic puller to seem like it would work so I ended up making a template, undersized ID, sent it off to the flame cutters and they cut new thicker pieces out of QT-100. Then after welding I had a line bore truck come make the new ears true with the world and supplied a longer chromed pin for me. It was the only way I could come up with a repair that would be at least as strong as an OEM boom replacement.
                            Been using it for awhile now haven't got a call that it broke.I added a pc of 3/4" GR50.over the top of the piece in the photo I added,a bit longer covering the seam to strengthen it all.WELCOME BACK COAL BEEN AWHILE.
                            BB402D
                            TB300D
                            DIMENSION652
                            MM250X
                            MAXSTAR140
                            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                            X