Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    The ground is not a problem, what is though is the overcurrent protection. You need to add a breaker not more than 20A, any wire associated with it, in or out needs to be 12.

Leave a comment:

• Jrc99408
    replied
    more than one branch circuit (which is what you have in this case) technically requires a sub-panel (I'm assuming you are running out to a garage or some out building) which is usually required to be grounded with another rod. If you are running one circuit over for the welder there is a tap rule I believe where you can tap off that circuit with another circuit. It's a percentage of the amperage and can only be with in so many feet, 15ft I believe. You would have to bring this circuit into a box tap off of that an then run down to two separate receptacles one for the welder and one for the GFI.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Nice

Leave a comment:

• duaneb55
    replied
    Originally posted by elvis View Post
    I have a 50-amp 14-50r in my house that I am going to run my electric beer brewery off. I bought 55' of 6/4 soow for that application. I figured that I will use that to run my mm251 off as well. Well that got me thinking that I should add a gfci protected 115vac duplex receptacle as well at the end of the cord.

What kind of box do I need? Can I fit it all with a cover in a 3-gang box?

2 disclaimers: this is a rental and I can't add circuits. I would just pull a circuit if I could. I have 200-amps of service to the house.

Second, this is purely for home hobby use and jot in an OSHA inspected area. All wiring is temporary and I am aware of the risks.
    I modified one of these to accept a larger input cable to accommodate a 6-50R and 14-50R and a 15A GFCI could be added as well.
    http://circledlights.com/products/po...unction-boxes/

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0644.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	516877

Name:	100_0645.JPG
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	516875

Name:	100_0646.JPG
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	516876

Name:	100_0647.JPG
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	516878

Name:	100_0648.JPG
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	516879
    Last edited by duaneb55; 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas113 View Post
    Spider boxes are really handy when you are out in remote areas. Where was that picture taken. My guess would be Glamis or out at a desert race. I used to enjoy both when I lived in Southern California. Seems there will always be someone breaking something that far out.
    This was near Anza Borego- not much riding on that trip, just a big party on my friend's property out there. He has 100 acres so the kids can ride around and not worry about them, big bon fires and BBQ.

and a big ol' sand burm = shooting' range

Leave a comment:

• elvis
    replied
    Having welders at off road events and trips is the only way to go. I have spent some good hood time welding my jeep back together after "aggressive" runs.

Leave a comment:

• Texas113
    replied
    4-wire extension

Spider boxes are really handy when you are out in remote areas. Where was that picture taken. My guess would be Glamis or out at a desert race. I used to enjoy both when I lived in Southern California. Seems there will always be someone breaking something that far out.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I did it with a Spider Box while camping. My Trailer has the 14-50 connections and I ran the cord to a Spider Box from the receptacle that is powered by the on board generator.
    You are my hero! You take welders with you on vacation? Mrs. B isn't likely to stand for it, but I'd probably never have to be bored on vacation again! I've even got a compartment in the trailer just right for the Dynasty. Or would the MM252 be more versatile? Oh well, it was only a dream.
    My daughter in law's father says vacations NEVER include family.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Sorry, my remarks were too harsh. I'm a little sensitive to people wanting to reinvent the wheel. Because a proper, and safe installation is costly, lots of people feel they are qualified without training to invent it themselves, reject safety as unnecessary, and do it cheap.

I'm never comfortable with using a dryer or range receptacle as a power source for welding as a long term solution. Even in a rental, it is cheaper to install a receptacle for a welder. We routinely do set up temporary distribution centers, usually for construction. They consist of a sub panel mounted on something solid with receptacles protected as needed for cord and plug connected loads. For good reason NEC prohibits this sort of thing for permanent use.

I have a construction 8500 watt generator set up on pallet with lifting eye equipped with this sort of thing.

As for a welding cord run through doorways where it will inevitably be closed in doors otherwise known as cord shears, to run long term, a welder or other equipment, I am opposed.

Leave a comment:

• elvis
    replied
    Now we are getting somewhere! You are correct. That was a fat finger 15, aka a 14. I fixed it now in the original post.

I'll see what I can find for a spider box. That would be perfect. I do see cost being an issue but I'll just take my time looking for something.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post

….but those Spider boxes are $$. A fellow camper already had it
    Geez Ed, my brain is in neutral today. I have one of those from Hubbell and it works great. Just haven't used it for a while.
    Elvis check for "Spider Box" on e-bay I saw a couple of used ones for less than $200.00. You already have the wire to feed it so you would only need the proper plugs.---Meltedmetal
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 11-06-2014, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied

….but those Spider boxes are $$. A fellow camper already had it

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    I did it with a Spider Box while camping. My Trailer has the 14-50 connections and I ran the cord to a Spider Box from the receptacle that is powered by the on board generator.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    If you can find the parts cheap enough you could certainly make a Distribution box that has a 14-50r and a 5-15 Duplex receptacle in it.

The "problem" is cost.

way cheaper to just run out a 120v ac extension cord from an existing receptacle for your 120v tools.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    ELVIS-

No problemo. But I think you have a 14-50r

15-50 is a 3-phase receptacle

50amp RV rigs are fed this way every day all across the country at thousands of RV parks.

The 50amp power cord has 14-50 connectors on each end.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X