Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Weight aluminum Mountain Bike trailer for The ELK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Weight aluminum Mountain Bike trailer for The ELK!

Howdy everyone, thanks in advance for any advice. I am looking to design and build a light weight mountain bike trailer for elk hunting that can haul 300+lbs. I have the basic design, except for the exact material im going to use as the frame. I was thinking about 1" aluminum tubing. I do not know enough about the structural integrity of the different tubes to know if im over doing it I was thinking .065 wall. the size is about 36" wide 46 " long and then a tongue extension. Any ideas on grade and size? Also does anyone know the best place in Washington or online to buy this stuff?

Duke jr.

If your here in Washington Everett steel is where almost everyone I know goes. They have a few locations.

Comment

Your standard 6061 tubing. Nothing exotic and welds easily.

If you just want to use Alooominum because you want to practice with your 180 go ahead but it will be mo $$$ than steel and not that much lighter.

You can get away with 16 steel tubing but will have to go up in size using AL -- to match the strength so it somewhat balances out AL vs Steel.

Benefit of AL is that it won't rust away.
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice

Comment

Suggest you use steel and shoot a smaller elk to keep the total weight down.

Comment

Better yet... use the elk to power the rig out of the woods, and then shoot it

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Few weeks ago i want to purchase a bike but i am confused which one is best for me and which is fits into my budget.So one of my friend reffered me to buy from online discount stores which is very cheap and got at discounted price of $240.As i would recommend GMC Denali Road Bike which is 21-speed road bike features a lightweight aluminium frame for details.

Comment

Working...
              X