Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailgate Tire Mount

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tailgate Tire Mount

    I am going to be making a tailgate like thing that holds a tire on a pick up truck. I need to make a 62 degree angle so does anyone know the easiest way to make that angle on with 2" round tube? I was going to cut it at an angle but I only have a jig setup with the band saw for 45 i believe. Also to hold a tire, do you think 1/8th inch thick tube would be strong enough or should I change my plan to 1/4? What would be the easiest way to have the tubes meet the edge? For example, where the top bar meets the bottom bar.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	pr1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	532853
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mount_out_26a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	532854
    Last edited by Type; 09-16-2014, 03:34 PM.

  • #2
    So why don't you just buy the product from the company you copied the pictures from?
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

    Comment


    • #3
      1/8" will be fine
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
        So why don't you just buy the product from the company you copied the pictures from?
        Why buy it for $1,000 when you could only pay $100 in steel?

        Comment


        • #5
          If the jig on your bandsaw is adjustable to 45*, then set it to 25* and the other end of the cut ends up at 65*. 25*+65*=90*. Try it and see if that's the angle you want.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Type View Post
            Why buy it for $1,000 when you could only pay $100 in steel?
            By the time yer done figgerin' out the compound mitre cuts on the tubing $1,000.00 will be cheap

            You are not just cutting a 60˚ like on square stock since you need to make 2 cuts on each end of the tubing to make the fish mouth that fits snug against the other piece of tubing.

            http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...-pictures.html
            Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
              By the time yer done figgerin' out the compound mitre cuts on the tubing $1,000.00 will be cheap

              You are not just cutting a 60˚ like on square stock since you need to make 2 cuts on each end of the tubing to make the fish mouth that fits snug against the other piece of tubing.

              http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...-pictures.html
              I think I may have figured out how to cut the tube at the correct angle. Thanks for the link also.

              Comment


              • #8
                In my teens I built a few for Jeeps. I used at the time second hand un galvanized rigid steel conduit schedule 40, (5/32) mostly I used 3/4".
                Dynasty 280DX
                Bobcat 250
                MM252
                Spool gun
                Twentieth Century 295
                Twentieth Century 295 AC
                Marquette spot welder
                Smith torches

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Type View Post
                  I think I may have figured out how to cut the tube at the correct angle. Thanks for the link also.
                  Will this lead to a new build thread when you start on this Project?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have guys bringing me pictures of tire racks , things like this ,etc. all the time wanting to know how much I want to make them one. I tell them I'm no cheaper than where they got the picture from. If you don't want to pay their price you don't want to pay mine!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by justracn15 View Post
                      I have guys bringing me pictures of tire racks , things like this ,etc. all the time wanting to know how much I want to make them one. I tell them I'm no cheaper than where they got the picture from. If you don't want to pay their price you don't want to pay mine!
                      For you to build with the same quality including the powder coating you will be losing your butt to build it for them. But building it for ourselves, that's a whole nother story.

                      As for the original poster, some of us just have to do it ourselves, it's a curse, a wonderful wonderful curse.
                      life is good

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                        So why don't you just buy the product from the company you copied the pictures from?
                        Anyone can just buy it. They're the Paris Hiltons of the world.
                        life is good

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So I looked at what angles I can cut at with my band saw and I have 3 different pieces for cutting. One is 22.5, the second is 45 and the last is anywhere in between so I will be doing that to get the angle on this project. I have a friend that may be getting a powdercoater that I will be able to use. I will not be starting a different thread once I get this project started but I am busy for the most part so it may be awhile.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            To do powder coating you are going to need an oven large enough to be capable of baking the finish on the largest piece. It won't fit in your wife's oven. There are cheap powder sprayers available, but the oven is usually the show stopper. To get the finish to hold well you are also going to have to sand blast and pressure wash the pieces before powder coating. Unless you are doing powder coating full time it just doesn't pay to invest in all of this.

                            Charley
                            ______________________________
                            Miller MM252
                            Miller Bobcat 225NT
                            Miller DialArc HF & DIY Cooler
                            2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
                            2 O/A torch sets
                            DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
                            DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
                            DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
                            Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
                            Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
                            Milwaukee 9" Grinder
                            2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
                            Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
                            Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
                            Too many hand tools

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If those go for a $1000 sign me up, I'll make them all day for that!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X