X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gobysky
    • Apr 2012

Welder/Generator dolly

I'm winging this project as I go, I've built a dolly so I could move it around my shop and into my trailer. Built a square tube box around it so I could weld in hangers for welding cables, etc.
    Any suggestions would be welcome. I would also be interested in seeing some pictures of what you guys have done in making your Bobcats or Trailblazers more portable.
    Attached Files
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln
  • BD1
    • Oct 2006

Nice, that sure is a pretty BLUE color. I did make a cart for my 302 Trailblazer to keep in garage. Then I made / modified a trailer for road or off road use. The trailer is set up so I can set the machine and cart onto the trailer as one unit.
    Works out well. Here's the posting on the Weldingweb.

Comment

• MMW
      • Sep 2005

Make a box with a floor & four sides about 6 inches high. Mount it on the top. It can be the whole top or half or whatever. Put all your stuff in it from grinders, wheels, gloves, tools. indispensable to have a place to pile stuff.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

• Hardrock40
        • Sep 2009

I like it and wanted to do my 250 the same way. Still may. Are those Harbor freight casters?

I made a cart for the 211, sort of done what MMW stated. It has been great for loading things up. Have the machine on it with plenty of room to carry about everything I need when moving from shop to trailer then back. Saves a lot of time when moving things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Church1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	516239

This old shot is before I put expanded metal sides on it. Still have not painted it. Has a cradle under the bottom for a small gas bottle but found a long gas hose works great leaving the a big tank inside the trailer, nuther MMW suggestion.

I used HF casters and they can be a pain to swivel in tight places. I'm still undecided if I want to move a 500lb machine in and out of a trailer, plus it would take a good hold down setup in a trailer while pulling it.

Lets see the improvements when you make them.
        Last edited by Hardrock40; 12-11-2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• gocirino
          • Apr 2009

Made this for my AirPak... Top pops off so I can go in the truck while the dolly stays put.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by gocirino; 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• BD1
            • Oct 2006

Yes, they are harbor freight SOLID RUBBER swivel ones. I used the air ones on my cart for the 180 SD. I like the solid ones for in the garage or on blacktop. The air jobs seem better on gravel or hard ground.

gocirino, nice setup. I like that mag drill too.

Comment

• gocirino
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
              Yes, they are harbor freight SOLID RUBBER swivel ones. I used the air ones on my cart for the 180 SD. I like the solid ones for in the garage or on blacktop. The air jobs seem better on gravel or hard ground.

Thanks... I've posted it on here before but didn't know if you had seen it. It's nice to roll around the shop or pop it off to throw in the truck. I too used HF wheels, figure they'll do for now. Good luck with your project!

Comment

• Gobysky
                • Apr 2012

Yes, HF Wheels and tires. Your right , they are hard to swivel. I need to put some kind of a lever arm on the front of it.
                I plan on using a winch to roll it up on my trailer. A good set of heavy duty tie-downs should keep it nicely in place.

Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
                I like it and wanted to do my 250 the same way. Still may. Are those Harbor freight casters?

I made a cart for the 211, sort of done what MMW stated. It has been great for loading things up. Have the machine on it with plenty of room to carry about everything I need when moving from shop to trailer then back. Saves a lot of time when moving things.

[ATTACH]33429[/ATTACH]

This old shot is before I put expanded metal sides on it. Still have not painted it. Has a cradle under the bottom for a small gas bottle but found a long gas hose works great leaving the a big tank inside the trailer, nuther MMW suggestion.

I used HF casters and they can be a pain to swivel in tight places. I'm still undecided if I want to move a 500lb machine in and out of a trailer, plus it would take a good hold down setup in a trailer while pulling it.

Syncrowave 200
                Millermatic 252
                Maxstar 150 S
                Miller Bobcat 250
                Sketchup 8 Pro

Comment

• Bistineau
                  • May 2011

This is what I did to move my Bobcat around. The tongue jack has a swivel wheel so it is easy enough to move around by hand. But I usually use the riding mower. I have towed it with my truck even though it's not plated. I can hoist it up and load it in my 3/4 ton.The box on front is for rods and miscellaneous stuff. I even has room for my torch rig.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Rredhawkk
                    • Dec 2013

Welder/generator dolly

Originally posted by gocirino View Post
                    Made this for my AirPak... Top pops off so I can go in the truck while the dolly stays put.
                    Thats a classy looking dolly, very nice job.

Comment

• Gobysky
                      • Apr 2012

Forgot to ask you

What kind of a bender did you use on that square tubing?

if I can get half as good as some of you guys, I'd be happy.
                      Syncrowave 200
                      Millermatic 252
                      Maxstar 150 S
                      Miller Bobcat 250
                      Sketchup 8 Pro

Comment

• Gobysky
                        • Apr 2012

Wish I had known

Originally posted by BD1 View Post

The inflatable tires I used from HF are a pain in the rear. Wish I had used the solid rubber ones for the shop instead. I have to get on my hands and knees to turn these tires by hand in order to get them to swivel properly. Each tire is rated for 300 pounds, however the Bobcat is heavy enough to prevent them from properly swiveling.
                        Syncrowave 200
                        Millermatic 252
                        Maxstar 150 S
                        Miller Bobcat 250
                        Sketchup 8 Pro

Comment

• elvis
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Gobysky:315343
                          What kind of a bender did you use on that square tubing?

if I can get half as good as some of you guys, I'd be happy.
                          JD2 makes square dies. I'm sure others do too. J have been wanting to pickup a square die but u haven't come up with a use for it yet. This looks like a good use for one!
                          MillerMatic 251
                          Maxstar 150 STH
                          Cutmaster 42
                          Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

• Broccoli1
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post

[ATTACH]33429[/ATTACH]

E-track on the floor or wall of your trailer if you don't have wood slats on the wall.- either one will work and then ratchet straps.

All of our equipment carts are on wheels and our truck walls have wood slats- we just ratchet to the slats. Solid.
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

• Broccoli1
                              • Dec 2007

If you really need to turn tight over rough terrain you should redesign the cart with the wheels close together. Once you get heavy, the pneumatic casters just don't turn very good since they squish If yer in a shop with hard floors then a solid wheel caster is a better choice.

Miller's design for off road.

Name:	300912_Off_Road_Running_Gear_Cage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	516260

Same idea for us in this cable/sandbag cart- sees 500lb loads easy

Name:	3762.GIF
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	516261
                              Ed Conley
                              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v