No announcement yet.

Small tree pulling device.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta join in here with a big caution about using nylon straps/ropes to pull things. A guy I know is now fully disabled with severe brain damage due to just such an attempt. He had a chain hooked to the concrete-embedded post he was trying to pull out and also had a nylon strap in the mix to get the length he needed. I don't know all the gory details, but something snapped. Since the nylon strap had a lot of tension on it, it was stretched pretty tight. When the chain broke, the hook on the end of the nylon strap very precisely broke through the back window of his truck and smashed into the right side of his head. Described by the brain surgeons as "profoundly life changing", which it certainly was. His life went from great to really bad in an instant. I shudder every time I look at a nylon tow strap now.

Comment

Yikes! That's a good point, if your going to use a nylon strap then best not to have anything atached to the end (chain or shackle). Nylon on its own would probably be the safest though. Wire rope can have bad consequences if it breaks and I don't think chain would be very pretty either.
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Stump and stuck equipment pulling efforts are often fun to watch, FROM A DISTANCE. and preferably while capturing the destruction to video for posterity and Utube4Boobs.
        I always enjoy watching axles or combine headers flying through the air.
        Oddly safe & sane techniques have existed through the ages, for instance most stumps pulled during the building of the Erie Canal were burned to Potash and the product shipped for soap manufacture. That was done without Nylon straps using the power of draft animals.
        Of course, even in the age of devices and search engines man insists he can do it better with more force improperly applied right up until something lets go and all imparted energy has to go someplace. It doesn't matter that Agricultural Schools have developed and documented safe and sane techniques and gone to the extent of publishing those techniques. Why do the job right when you can destroy equipment and consume beer?

Comment

Breaking stuff and drinking beer, that's about as much fun as you can have without going to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            Breaking stuff and drinking beer, that's about as much fun as you can have without going to jail.
            You can have my share of both.
            NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES work for beer or any other beverage.

Comment

Working...
            X