Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty 200DX or Syncrowave 200?? Aluminium cleaning??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200DX or Syncrowave 200?? Aluminium cleaning??

Hello all I'm somewhat decided between the 200DX or the Syncrowave 200, however I would like some opinions as to which machine would best suit my needs. I plan on using the machine for stainless steel, mild steel and aluminium in the 1/16 - 1/4" range. However the majority of my work will be with stainless and mild steel. Aside from the weight difference what benefits are there to gain with the DX model?

About cleaning aluminium, for chemical cleaning I've read on Lincolns site to use a strong alkaline (lye) solution followed by water, nitric acid and a final water bath. Does anyone have any experience in using these techniques? If so how long do you have to keep the pieces in the solutions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

John

Both are great. I have used both. I have the syncro 180 which the syncro 200 replaces. One difference between the 200 DX and the syncro 200 is the 200DX has adjustable frequency. This allows a narrow weld bead on aluminum. My 180 works great, almost all I weld is aluminum with it [boats etc]. Also the cost. You can buy a syncro 200 complete with torch, cart, pedal etc for what just the 200DX costs by itself. I don't do any road work, all in my shop so size is not an issue for me.
    As far as cleaning I've had the best luck with a stainless steel brush. I have used different chemicals but are a mess. THe 180 does a good job of cleaning the weld area. Of course all this just my opinion, let us know what you buy.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Either will serve you well. As to cleaning, I use acetone and a SS wire brush and never had any problems.
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Hey John,
        If your looking at doing very much aluminum in the 1/4" range, you'll probably want to look at something in 300 amps. Unless you like preheating. Also, two items that I have had good success cleaning aluminum with are "Simple Green" and "CLR" if they are very dirty and then wipe off with acetone. The "Simple Green" is awesome on removing the ink tatoos that come on aluminum.
        Good Luck, JWOOD

Comment

Syncro vs DX

The DX is designed (in my opinion) for aluminum welding. The adjustabillity of the DX seems to be suited towards better control of the puddle when welding aluminum. If you are going to weld SS most of the time, a Syncrowave will do just fine.

The features offered in the DX model allow you to control all the aspects of aluminum welding that are uncontrolable with regular tig machines. A 200DX can weld 0.050" material to 2" material without preheat, and no burnthrough, in a TEE joint configuration. Pop can welding was never this easy before the DX was introduced.
          Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
          Esab PCM 1000

Comment

JonnyTig,
            What allows the DX to weld 0.5" or even 2" aluminum w/o preheating?
            The max amps that Miller says the machine will do is 200 amps, in my experience with tigging aluminum the only way I could weld quality welds over 0.25" w/o preheat was using helium.
            Curious, JWOOD

Comment

I think what Johnnytig meant was .050" not .500". Big difference. But I Have to wonder. I weld 1/8" [.125] easy with my 180. I have welded 1/4" [.250] pretty good But for not to long. 1/2" and up to 2" in my opinion would be out of sight. I mig anything thats 1/2" thick. Have never welded a piece 2" thick. It would take a mess of passes......Maybe he forgot the decimal point.
              Scott

Comment

As in the previous quote I stated 0.050" and 2", not .5". I may not have been clear with this. I have seen demonstrated by a miller sale rep, and have done myself, a fillet weld (TEE joint) where a 0.050" strip of 5554 aluminum is welded to a 2" square block of 6061. Using the high frequency control of the DX in conjuction with the pulse mode at a high frequency can focus the arc and make this weld possible to accomplish without burning through the back side of the 0.050" material.
                Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
                Esab PCM 1000

Comment

That makes more sense. thanks. I like both machines.
                  Scott

Comment

The trick that makes this possible with the 200DX and 300DX is the inverter under a no load condition the dx is only drawing .08amps from service and only 15amps under load the rest is controled thru the inverter that boosts the OCV to its peak. The inverter provides clean smooth OCV to the work. By increasing your Cycles per second Cathodic bombardment cleans the material as you weld. Wire brush gets it started but on Anodised Aluminum it wont haze and will leave it looking like it just came off the production floor.

I teach advanced welding for the Coast Guard and we have both the 300DX and 200DX an teach SMAW on Steel HY80/130, GMAW 3/8 6061 T6 , GTAW 1/4 6061. Thru the use of these machines we have seen our defects under Radiograph drop by 40%. The inverters will also slightly compensate for diversions in arc length and lead and work angles. I might sound like a salesmen but for fabricators on the economy the purchase is cost effective and power savings alone will cut down on your overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by HMW
                      Both are great. I have used both. I have the syncro 180 which the syncro 200 replaces. One difference between the 200 DX and the syncro 200 is the 200DX has adjustable frequency. This allows a narrow weld bead on aluminum. My 180 works great, almost all I weld is aluminum with it [boats etc]. Also the cost. You can buy a syncro 200 complete with torch, cart, pedal etc for what just the 200DX costs by itself. I don't do any road work, all in my shop so size is not an issue for me.
                      As far as cleaning I've had the best luck with a stainless steel brush. I have used different chemicals but are a mess. THe 180 does a good job of cleaning the weld area. Of course all this just my opinion, let us know what you buy.

So, you weld aluminum boats? I was thinking of building one from scratch. What is the best method for welding an aluminum boat.
                      I too, am torn between the 200dx and the syncro 200. The dx is almost twice the money and I'm not sure its worth it unless one needs the portability and uses it alot. What do you think?
                      2006 Dynasty 200DX
                      2003 Lincoln 175 Plus
                      1940's 400LB buzz box
                      2004, 1979 Victor 100F, ox/ac

Comment

also price shopping...

...I've been looking at the same 2 systems also here in Detroit.

I found a new-never-used Syncrowave 200 at a Miller dealer on on a

"Back-To-School-Sale" (???) complete with cart, accessories, and

everything except a gas bottle for $1200.00 out the door.

THEN a friend made a call to another friend and for a similar setup

on a Dynasty 200 DX (minus a Coolmate) I get a lower price!!!

Can't decide...the inverter system would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Panhead
                          ...I've been looking at the same 2 systems also here in Detroit.

I found a new-never-used Syncrowave 200 at a Miller dealer on on a

"Back-To-School-Sale" (???) complete with cart, accessories, and

everything except a gas bottle for $1200.00 out the door.

THEN a friend made a call to another friend and for a similar setup

on a Dynasty 200 DX (minus a Coolmate) I get a lower price!!!

Can't decide...the inverter system would be nice.
                          1200 bucks! thats a great deal. I think I am going to hold out for a dynasty 200dx. If I could get a syncro 200 runner for 1200 I would buy it. The dynasty would be better for me as it only weighs 44 pounds making it easy to tote back and forth from my farm in Oregon. The syncro at 240 would not be convienient to transport.
                          So, did you buy the dynasty?? let me know how you like it
                          2006 Dynasty 200DX
                          2003 Lincoln 175 Plus
                          1940's 400LB buzz box

Comment

Originally posted by bfloyd4445
                            So, you weld aluminum boats? I was thinking of building one from scratch. What is the best method for welding an aluminum boat.
                            I too, am torn between the 200dx and the syncro 200. The dx is almost twice the money and I'm not sure its worth it unless one needs the portability and uses it alot. What do you think?
                            Building an aluminum boat from new aluminum would be great. either welder would be do a good job. I would love to see a picture of it when you get done. All my work is repairs or modifications. Hardley ever get to work with new aluminum unless I'm making a new box or hatch or something. When its been in salt water its a real pain. I also do quit a bit of cast aluminum welding and the 180 does pretty good on that to. Some pre-heating if thick though. My next one will be the DX [since i already have the 180] Good luck
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by HMW
                              Building an aluminum boat from new aluminum would be great. either welder would be do a good job. I would love to see a picture of it when you get done. All my work is repairs or modifications. Hardley ever get to work with new aluminum unless I'm making a new box or hatch or something. When its been in salt water its a real pain. I also do quit a bit of cast aluminum welding and the 180 does pretty good on that to. Some pre-heating if thick though. My next one will be the DX [since i already have the 180] Good luck
                              I sent an email to Miller today with a question on the DX and a guy called me a couple of hours later! Pretty good. He said I should take a class at the local college first cause the DX was a lot of money to invest if I don't use it much. He said the syncro 200 is a lot less money and a very good machine. I said it was the syncro 200 that got me to looking at the DX. He is right, but I'm gonna go for it even if I never learn to tig properly. I just love the portability of the DX and it won't take up much room in the back of my pickup when I go up to the farm.

So, you work on boats daily? I love boats, most of my life I have owned at least two or three at all times till I bought the Oregon farm. But I've always wanted to make myself a sled out of aluminum. A guy at the marina where I kept my sundancer docked built one out of plywood with an outboard pump that really preformed very well. The only thing with plywood is it would scare me in the rocks. Know anyone with any good plans?
                              Do you do anything about heat treating the welds after a repair? I hear that the weld in aluminum will be softer than the rest of the metal. Is that true?
                              2006 Dynasty 200DX
                              2003 Lincoln 175 Plus
                              1940's 400LB buzz box

Comment

Working...
                              X