X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ericher69
    started a topic garage Elevator Man lift project

garage Elevator Man lift project

I would like to build a man lift/elevator with a 1000lbs capacity.

I have been looking for a used palette lift but haven't seen one locally for over a year. Shipping is cost prohibitive.

The attic opening is 4x6' and the total lift height needs to be 9'

The platform should also fold to save space when not in use.

I was thinking of hydraulic or worm gear type or even a winch with pulleys.

Open to suggestions!

What size/type and thickness of steel should I use?

Thanks

Eric

• snowbird
    replied
    To help or not to help

It is easy to understand why guys making a living out of welding are reluctant about elevators.

Not having enough of murphy's law, newton's law plus human factor have to be added when elevators are the topic.

Add to that building codes, safety, insurances etc... you have the perfect thing to stay away from.

However we all seen one somewhere and it is possible to make one , make a lot of research and have the proper electrical and mechanical protections good design and some more stupid proofing combined with over load/travel protection and...ahhhhh get a hoist ;o)

Leave a comment:

• John Stuckey
    replied
    Will check back next year

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
    Some of you guys have been very rude. If you do not want to help and just be an ass...stay out of it. Do you want this to be another SFT
    I quit reading and regularly posting here about two years ago because of the rudeness of several members and the general lack of helpfulness/encouragement exhibited in many posts. I check back about once a year to see if things have changed. This year is worse than last. I might log in next year and check again.

Leave a comment:

• BD1
    replied
    This was posted on another site. Elevator
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=240521

Leave a comment:

• rolfsi
    replied
    lighten up guys

Come on you guys. Dont be so critical. When can all learn from each other.

Leave a comment:

• ericher69
    replied
    garage Elevator Man lift project

Willy yes thanks for the PM/apology!

I also apologize for any "rudeness"

JTMcC;

I am trying to learn; in professional forums such as this one where there is a wealth of knowledge!

You assume I will "small size MIG" stick everything together...

I know for structural it should and will be welded by stick 7014/7018; yes I do have a stick welder AC/DC 225/150 and although not CWB certified I have built many trailers, repaired equipment without failures. I tend to overbuild things.

Anyway thanks for the helpful replies so far!

Leave a comment:

• Miller Welders
    replied
    Final Warning

If there are any more disrespectful posts on this thread not addressing the original poster's question, we will start to delete posts and ban users.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Nowhere did I call anybody stupid, work on your reading comprehension .

I never said you did. maybe your comprehension is not what you think

Leave a comment:

• willy
    replied
    Not trying to keep this going but the OP was somewhat rude too, as was my second response. But I can say that I was man enough to send him an apology, and Im sure he will vouch for that....Sorry to any I offended....Lets get back to welding

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    Nowhere did I call anybody stupid, work on your reading comprehension .

I'll leave it with your words because this pretty much says it all:

I have never built an elevator but I know what is involved and how to make it safe.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    and what the he!! is cleo of the internet?

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    I'm not saying you were the rude one. I was speaking openly to everyone. No, I do not know how you are and what you care about as well I do not know about the others here. But I do know what I read and how to take it. I have never built an elevator but I know what is involved and how to make it safe. Just because you have worked on a couple and maybe have seen someone hurt doesn't make everyone else stupid.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    Don't hide behind the pretense you give a **** about them if they do something stupid and hurt themselves.

Unless you're psychic skills see thru time, YOU have no idea what I do, where I do it or who I do it for. You have absolutely no idea what care I might have for my fellow man's well being or the steps I've taken in that area.
    I certainly won't post them here so you can continue to fabricate whatever truth you want to believe. Good grief that's a wierd hobby.

You, monte555, know nothing about me and probably should stop trying to be the miss cleo of the internet.

Or go ahead. But you are 100% wrong on all counts.

I've built and modified a few man/material lifts over the years and recognize what I see.

Again, sorry (not) if the facts disrupt your touchy feely kumbayaa world view. Gravity always works as they say. And I've seen dead men crushed under a relatively small load as an apprentice, that made an impression on my young self that carries thru today.

J

On edit I'll add that I hide behind NOTHING. Feel free to contact me, I'll give you my physical address, phone number, whatever you want. I've never hidden from anything in my life.
    John McCracken
    Last edited by JTMcC; 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    I am not reading anything into your posts. I don't even know which are yours and I don't care. What I am saying is people can say things in a nicer way. Don't hide behind the pretense you give a **** about them if they do something stupid and hurt themselves. You don't care. I don't like it when people hide behind that for an excuse to be a rude ass.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    I'll agree to some of what you say but, I can tell someone they look like a f' ing idiot or I don't think what they are wearing fits the occasion...in a nice way

How do you get from "you need to get educated and not ask kindergarten level questions before you build this thing" to "you're a f'ing idiot"?

That is happening in your mind. Don't read into my posts. I'm fairly simple, I mean what I say in a literal sense, and I don't try to put any coating (good or bad) on it. That just leads to confusion in my world. The guy doesn't need a lot of confusion if he's building a man lift, he needs cold hard facts and the knowledge to successfully implement those facts.

And I don't give two hoots about other peoples wardrobe decisions vs "the occasion".

I didn't say anything in a "not nice way". Men in this country are being brought up in a very feminized fashion by single Mothers. That's why Dads were invented, to raise men who don't shrivle at the slightest sign of criticism be it right, wrong or indifferent.

J

Leave a comment:

Working...
X