round rod suitable for use with bronze bushings - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

round rod suitable for use with bronze bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lgranch
    • Aug 2012

round rod suitable for use with bronze bushings

I'm doing a project that calls for "round rod suitable for use with bronze bushings". What kind of rod is being talked about? I've never heard of this before. Would mild steel be suitable? Would I have to use stainless? Anybody know?

Thanks in advance,
    lgranch
  • Portable Welder
    • Aug 2004

If its a project than my guess would be that they mean Cold rolled that has a fairly smooth finish usually, and it holds a much better tolerance than hot roll, If you need really good rod use ( Ground Round and polished )

Stainless would not be my first choice, In fact stainless on stainless will gaull and seize together lickady split. Good luck.

A little more information would probably help.

Comment

• walker
      • Oct 2007

I would guess cold rolled steel as well, but there isn't enough info in your post to make a real good educated guess. What are you building?

Comment

• lgranch
        • Aug 2012

The rod will have to slide back and forth in the bushings with little lubricant. Is this the type of information you are looking for?

Thanks,
        Gary

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
        If its a project than my guess would be that they mean Cold rolled that has a fairly smooth finish usually, and it holds a much better tolerance than hot roll, If you need really good rod use ( Ground Round and polished )

Stainless would not be my first choice, In fact stainless on stainless will gaull and seize together lickady split. Good luck.

A little more information would probably help.

Comment

• lgranch
          • Aug 2012

Thank you everyone for your replies. Now I know what I need to complete my project, a reciprocating hack saw. I will use a cold rolled shaft and self lubricating bronze bearings.

Thanks again,
          lgranch

Comment

• chewinggum
            • Apr 2009

I'd ask the supplier for "drill rod", it come's hard, straight, and, smooth.
            CG
            Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
            Miller Diversion 165
            1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
            Smithy Lathe/Mill

Comment

• Meltedmetal
              • Dec 2011

I'd be interested to see your design when you get it completed. I have 3 commercially produced power hack saws and all of them use oil lubricated cast iron for slides on cold finished steel in various configurations. At least 2 of them are over 50 years old and were converted to motor drives from line shaft drives they still function but the two oldest are not accurate any more and don't get used much. Good luck with the project.
              Meltedmetal
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Working...
              X