X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sundown
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
    Ok, I will ignore the obviously childish poke and let you look at it this way. The original question was regarding a 100a 120v MIG unit. Since .035 gas shielded flux core has a range of 23-28 vdc and amperage range beginning at 125 amps, his machine would never even begin to run the stuff........so why bring shielded flux core up?

It looks like I did use some sense and actually know the parameters of the wire in question.
    I gotta agree, and I think that for that machine why use any exotic wire when .030 Hobart fabshield 23 is fine and readily available. If he wants to run .035 then Lincoln 211 is available in 4" rolls from the big box stores.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

• DDA52
      • Oct 2005

Yup, .030 is what he should be using. That would get the max benefit from that machine.

George, are you still using Fab 23??? Haven't we gotten you away from the darkside and into Fab 21B yet??? The 21B is much better than the NR211-MP even. I was putting down some serious beads on columns with some 1/16 21B on my shop last weekend. We really need to get you away from the darkside...aka the 71T-GS wire and into some 71T-11 wire...the lightside.
      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

• Sundown
        • Jan 2006

Yup, .030 is what he should be using. That would get the max benefit from that machine.

George, are you still using Fab 23??? Haven't we gotten you away from the darkside and into Fab 21B yet??? The 21B is much better than the NR211-MP even. I was putting down some serious beads on columns with some 1/16 21B on my shop last weekend. We really need to get you away from the darkside...aka the 71T-GS wire and into some 71T-11 wire...the lightside.
        Ok, after xmas (got enough .045 211 to last till Jan next year) but I will see if my LWS has some 21B, don'tcha feel all warm & fuzzy now
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

• Darmik
          • Oct 2006

Ok, I will ignore the obviously childish poke and let you look at it this way. The original question was regarding a 100a 120v MIG unit. Since .035 gas shielded flux core has a range of 23-28 vdc and amperage range beginning at 125 amps, his machine would never even begin to run the stuff........so why bring shielded flux core up?

It looks like I did use some sense and actually know the parameters of the wire in question.
          Since you know so MUCH...

PRODUCTS KNOWLEDGE INDUSTRY FOCUS COMMUNITY CORPORATE

Quick Links Welding Safety myLincolnElectric.com Operator's Manuals Literature Request Service & Warranty Browse Products Careers Welding School AWS Certificates Site Map MSDS Product Registration MotorSports Alloy Surcharge Books & Logo Items Automation Change Country
          Search Product Search Site Search Site Map

WHERE TO BUY SERVICE CONTACT US HELP QUICK PRINT

Product Center
          Browse by Category
          Help Me Find
          Search by Keyword
          Recommended Packages
          Product Registration
          MSDS
          Certificate Center
          Operator's Manuals

Power Wave Software
          Welding Library
          Operating Systems

Pro-Core 100

K2158-1 PRO-CORE 100 115/1/60

Here's a compact, portable, user-friendly welder that makes short work of welding chores around the home or farm. Just plug into a 115 volt, 20 amp outlet, and you're ready to go! The easy-to-follow welding procedure chart inside the wire feed access door helps guide you toward all the right choices. Everything you need to weld mild steel with gasless flux-cored wire electrode, plus a "Welding Basics" video is right in the box! Or, add the optional conversion kit(s), shielding gas, and proper solid wire and your Pro-Coreâ„¢ 100 is ready for MIG welding. Important safety features include Lincoln's trigger control system that keeps the wire electrode electrically "cold" until you press the trigger.

Advantage Lincoln

• 30-100 amps output for welding on light to medium thickness materials.
          • Welds up to 1/4 in. steel.
          • Complete, ready to weld package for use with self-shielded flux-cored wire. Upgrades to MIG.
          • Plugs into 115V, 20 amp outlet.
          • Gun trigger safety feature keeps welding wire electrically "cold" until trigger is pressed.
          • Compact, portable, lightweight and easy-to-use.
          (• For welding .035" flux-cored wire) and .023-.030" solid MIG wire (solid MIG wire requires installation of K610-1 MIG Conversion Kit and supply of shielding gas).
          • It's quick and easy to upgrade the Pro-Core 100 for MIG (gas-shielded solid wire) welding. To MIG weld mild steel or stainless steel, install K610-1 MIG Conversion Kit (stainless steel wire sold separately). To weld aluminum, install K610-1 and K664-2 Aluminum Welding Kit. Shielding gas sold separately.
          • Welding procedure chart for mild steel is conveniently located inside wire feed section door making voltage and wire speed selection a snap!
          • Fan-cooled for long life expectancy.
          • Three year warranty on parts and labor. (90 days warranty on gun and cable).

Physical specifications

Weight:47 lbs. (21.4 kgs. )
          Dimensions (in) H x W x D : 12 x 9.75 x 16.5
          Dimensions (mm) H x W x D : 305 x 248 x 419

WHERE TO BUY
          ORDER FORM
          MORE PRODUCT INFO (pdf)
          RELATED ARTICLES

Description
          Output
          Input

Processes
          MIG Flux-Cored

Unit Includes
          • Magnum® 100L welding gun and 10 ft. cable assembly with .035" contact tip installed
          • 10 ft. work cable and work clamp
          • 1 lb. spool .035" Innershield® NR-211-MP flux-cored wire
          • spare .035" contact tip
          • Welding handshield with #10 filter plate and clear glass cover plate
          • Instructional video

Recommended General Options
          K2275-1 Welding Cart (80 cu.ft. bottle capacity)
          M15445-R Spindle for 2 in. Hub
          K610-1 MIG Conversion Kit
          K664-2 .035 Aluminum Welding Kit

Welding Specifications
          Rated CV Output Amps/Volts/Duty Cycle Output Range Wire Feed Speed Range (IPM) Wire Feed Speed Range (M/MIN) Solid Wire Size Range Cored Wire Size Range
          88/18/20% 30-100A DC 50-300 1.3-7.6 .025-.030" .035"

BACK PRINT

LOGIN LEGAL NOTICE PRIVACY POLICY DISCLAIMER TERMS OF USE

©1999-2006 The Lincoln Electric Company.

Enough said Darmik

Comment

• DDA52
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Darmik View Post
            Since you know so MUCH...

• 30-100 amps output for welding on light to medium thickness materials.
            (• For welding .035" flux-cored wire) and .023-.030" solid MIG wire (solid MIG wire requires installation of K610-1 MIG Conversion Kit and supply of shielding gas).

Enough said Darmik
            I don't think so dude....you need to get your facts straight.

There is a huge difference between Dual shield flux core and self shielded flux core. YOU quoted XL-71 and Esab Ultra 7100. They are dual shield wires as you stated. They require WAY more voltage than that little unit could ever produce. That is a fact. If you are so sure you are right, call up Lincoln and get them to tell you since you don't believe what you are reading.

Here are the numbers again.....Hobart XL-71 in .035 has a range that starts at 23 volts and 125amps and goes up to 28 volts and 225 amps. Lincoln Outershield 71M has a range of 20-32 vdc and 90-195 amps. In contrast, the self shielded NR-211MP, which is the wire Linc was referring to in the page you quoted, has a range of 14-16.5vdc and 30-120 amps. THAT is the range of the machine in question, not the others. Now, it may look like the unit would run the 71M wire on paper...BUT anyone who has run that wire will tell you that it gets very jumpy down low. It acts up something terrible. Dual shield wires are meant to be run hot and hotter, not at the lower end.

This is a totally stupid arguement anyway. Linc would never say that a low end machine would be capable of running a 71T-1/9 wire. When thay talk about flux core, they are talking about NR-211, a 71T-11 wire. That is the wire they mean and they probably even spell it out on the door chart as NR-211MP or 71T-11. They usually won't add a dual shield wire to a door chart until you hit the 251/255 class machines. They have the voltage necessary to run those wires.
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

• DDA52
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
              Ok, after xmas (got enough .045 211 to last till Jan next year) but I will see if my LWS has some 21B, don'tcha feel all warm & fuzzy now
              Nothing wrong with 211, IMO. Some guys don't like it, but I believe it is just fine. I just like the 21B better and I bet you would as well. It just lays down nicer than the 211. The flux is easier to remove as well. The 211 and 21B are both 71T-11 wires, so they act relatively similar....relatively. The 21B is just more forgiving and smoother. Either one of those two are fine....they are loads and tons better than the 71T-GS wires like the Fabshield 23. That stuff is just junk. I have a roll on my MM135 right now. I may just pitch it out the door one day. I have a 2# 211 that will take its place. I just bought a 30# roll of 1/16 21B and am almost finished with a 10# roll of .045. My .035 is 211 though.

hey, if you can, try out the NR-212. I liked it better than the 211 as well. It is different from the 211. IMO, the beads look better. It supposedly has more nickel in it than the 211. Maybe that is what makes it nicer, dunno.
              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
              '06 12RC feeder
              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
              Esab Multimaster 260
              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

• wireburner
                • Dec 2006

I have a LINCOLN 3200HD I use 0.35 Flux core wire also use 0.30 wire I think it does okay but you have to clean it more than gas welds

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

• fun4now
                  • Aug 2006

as much as i like running C-25 and solid wire, i would say skip the conversion kit. save up for a wile and just get a larger welder befor worying about getting gas.
                  wireburner
                  thats odd i can burn threw almost anything with flux core wire in my MM135 without cleaning anything, if i'm using gas i have to clean first but flux i just fire it up and burn threw it.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

• Darmik
                    • Oct 2006

I don't think so dude....you need to get your facts straight.

There is a huge difference between Dual shield flux core and self shielded flux core. YOU quoted XL-71 and Esab Ultra 7100. They are dual shield wires as you stated. They require WAY more voltage than that little unit could ever produce. That is a fact. If you are so sure you are right, call up Lincoln and get them to tell you since you don't believe what you are reading.

Here are the numbers again.....Hobart XL-71 in .035 has a range that starts at 23 volts and 125amps and goes up to 28 volts and 225 amps. Lincoln Outershield 71M has a range of 20-32 vdc and 90-195 amps. In contrast, the self shielded NR-211MP, which is the wire Linc was referring to in the page you quoted, has a range of 14-16.5vdc and 30-120 amps. THAT is the range of the machine in question, not the others. Now, it may look like the unit would run the 71M wire on paper...BUT anyone who has run that wire will tell you that it gets very jumpy down low. It acts up something terrible. Dual shield wires are meant to be run hot and hotter, not at the lower end.

This is a totally stupid arguement anyway. Linc would never say that a low end machine would be capable of running a 71T-1/9 wire. When thay talk about flux core, they are talking about NR-211, a 71T-11 wire. That is the wire they mean and they probably even spell it out on the door chart as NR-211MP or 71T-11. They usually won't add a dual shield wire to a door chart until you hit the 251/255 class machines. They have the voltage necessary to run those wires.
                    I just go by what they say
                    on there little blurp MIG wire requires installation of K610-1 MIG Conversion Kit and supply of shielding gas If that little machine can not run this then why do they say so self sheild or not Complete, ready to weld package for use with self-shielded flux-cored wire. Upgrades to MIG so I did call thank you very much this will burn .035 but you must have a double pole 20amp breaker lonely
                    using 12 -3 wire.you are right this is a lower end machine but the FACTS still remain one thing I am noted for is people call me digger out here I do love a challenge however I will admit if im wrong I just love finding out stuff because
                    I still dont know everything

Comment

• fun4now
                      • Aug 2006

seems pretty simple the hobart xl-71 is a flux core that is ment to be used with gas (requireing much more juce)
                      wile the manual refers to flux core wire not intended for use with gas(requireing much less juce) used on all the little MIG's and some of the larger for outside work where shielding gas is not an option and you dont want to use stick.

the xl-71 is a specilty wire most owners of a little 100 amp MIG will certinly not conside (if they ever even found it) due to $$.
                      its realy a bit silly to even mention it in this aplication.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

• DDA52
                        • Oct 2005

Thanks, James ....at least someone out there gets it.

Darmik, you just do not get it. Call Lincoln and tell them you want to run a .035 E71T-1 or E71T-9 wire on a 100 amp mig and see what they tell you. You are just not getting it from me or the numbers. Have you ever even run this type wire before? There is a huge difference between a self shielded flux core wire and an externally shielded flux cored or metal cored wire. Yes, they both have a flux core. BUT they are not the same in action or requirements. Not even close.

For anyone else reading this excercise in futility, a flux core can be either self shielding, or externally shielded. The self shielded wires are what are the most popular for small units. They require low power and will still penetrate well and weld much thicker material than the same sized solid wire. They do not require shielding gas. The flux inside creates its own shielding. If you use gas with a self shielded wire, you wll change its composition and that can be something you don't want to do. They are made to be used without gas. The AWS has a couple of classes for these wires. They are E71T-11 and E71T-GS. There are a few others, but these are the most popular and easiest to find. The brand names and numbers are Lincoln NR211-MP, Hobart Fabshield 21B and Fabshield 23 ...for example. These are general usage wires and have no mechanical properties.

There are more flux core wires that do have mechanical properties. They are self shielding as well. These would include the AWS classes of E71T-8, E71T-6, E71T7-K2 and others. Lincolns popular ones are NR-232, NR-233, NR-203, NR-305 and NR-311. Hobart has a few as well. They incluse the Fabshield 7018 and Durashield 8-11 wires and others.

Now, an externally shielded flux core wire is a different animal. It must have a gas to provide shielding. It can be either straight CO2 or an AR/CO2 mix. These wires are used on high output machines due to their higher voltage requirements. They also burn hotter than normal flux core wires. They are not the same as self shielded wires and cannot be run in place of said wires on small machines. The AWS classes thes in several categories. They are E71T-1, E71T-9, and E71T-12. These are the common 70,000 tensile strength designations...there are more. The vast majority are in the .045 and greater size range. There are a few of the .035's around. These have large voltage requirements even though they are a .035 cored wire. Miller weld engineers have said that the MM210 will run .035 dual shield...barely. It requires a setting of 7/80, which is almost max output of a 210a MIG unit. This is directly from Miller. Now, if a Miller 210a MIG will barely run .035 dual shield, according to the engineers that built and designed it, how in the world would a 100a machine be able to run it???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

Now, I do not profess to know it all and never have. I am getting all of this information from spec sheets on both Lincoln and Hobart wires. They are available online if you care to download them. It is very easy to determine the voltage and amperage requirements from the charts. The values for .035 are clearly listed if you care to do the digging. This is all I am going to say on this. It is a waste of my time to go any further. Those that know anything about this type of wire will know what I am talking about. Those that don't...I invite you to do the research. I'm done.
                        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                        '06 12RC feeder
                        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                        Esab Multimaster 260
                        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

• Darmik
                          • Oct 2006

I give up you win

Comment

• fun4now
                            • Aug 2006

DDA52 Thanks, James ....at least someone out there gets it
                            no problem, i suppose i could have looked it all up like you did but that was a lot of typing .

it really is a shame you have to go to such extremes to prove such an obvious difference.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

• Extreme Steel
                              • Nov 2006

Flux-Core wire

I just use MM-135 w/30 Flux-core wire and miller 35 tip and burn baby burn!!!!

Comment

• fun4now
                                • Aug 2006

i always keep a few small roles of flux around for any outside quick fixes. it works realy well in the MM135.
                                i welded my 2 story 22'X20' shop togather with it.(see pic's)
                                over the 5+ years i have hed it its more than payed for its self.
                                Attached Files
                                thanks for the help
                                ......or..........
                                hope i helped
                                sigpic
                                JAMES

Comment

Working...
                                X