X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass-N-Gas
    replied
    Save your money.
    Buy a small plasma torch put a drag shield on it then use a straight edge.

Save more money,
    Buy the circle cutting attachment for the round holes.

Once you go plasma you don't look back!

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Don't buy the Evolution saw. I bought one early this year for a job and have used it quite a bit. It rattles itself apart, pars are continually falling off of it, and the the cheesy plastic miter gauge/lock thing slips. The blade height adjuster also slips about every other cut. I have no tried other brands, so can't reccomend another one though.

Leave a comment:

• CharleyL
    replied
    We haven't cut any stainless yet, mostly mild steel. I did cut some aluminum for a couple of small projects and didn't experience any problems. A light spray of PAM cooking spray on the blades when cutting the aluminum helps keep the blade clean. After normal preparation the aluminum pieces TIG welded fine. Saw blades remain quite clean when compared to grinding disks. With grinding disks you get metal chips embedded into the disk, and they can easily get transferred and mixed into the surface of other metals. This doesn't happen with saw blades, drill bits, milling cutters, or lathe tooling.

If you don't guide these metal cutting saws and you try to free-hand cuts as you would a sheet of plywood you will tear up a metal cutting saw blade in a very short time. These blades will last for hundreds of cuts if you don't bind the blade in the cut or stop in the middle of the cut and then try to resume. The metal will work harden and dull the blade when you try to resume the cut. It only takes one bind or hardened metal spot to ruin a blade. Avoid cutting rebar or hardened metal with these saws. Use abrasive blades for this type of work.

Charley
    Last edited by CharleyL; 06-06-2012, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GilNewWelder
    replied
    Originally posted by beamwalker View Post
    makita. We have 2 of them evolutions we tore to pieces very shortly
    Which type of blades do you use on the MAKITA?

Leave a comment:

• drpipe
    replied
    Framing saw to cut through metal???

**** no

Leave a comment:

• foreverAstudent
    replied
    Originally posted by CharleyL View Post
    Wood cutting saws are really too fast for cutting metal. It will work, but the blade suffers with shorter life and doesn't cut as well at that speed. You should purchase a metal cutting saw. They have a lower blade speed and do the job well.

Charley
    Do you have to change the blades of saws if you go from mild steel to stainless or aluminum so that the saw blade doesn't cause it to rust? I know you have to change grinding pads if you're going from mild steel to stainless or aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• drpipe
    replied
    Framing saw to cut through metal???

Everyone has there own opinion of course . I work in a fab shop we have several of the metal cutting saws. Skill mags and another brand. They are ok if you take the time to clamp down a straight edge ...... Make sure you clean out the shavings trap after each use . Now I think using a skill saw with a metal blade works about the same . They both pretty much suck and are so loud . I use a track torch or my trusty burn bar and use a torch for half inch and up and a plazz cutter for 1/16 up to half . I cut some two inch plate last week with a track torch and number three tip. Then I finished making the final cuts by hand with a torch with number two tip and my helper holding a rose bud ahead of my cuts...... It looked great .

Leave a comment:

• beamwalker
    replied
    Originally posted by GilNewWelder View Post
    This one is very nice

makita. We have 2 of them evolutions we tore to pieces very shortly

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    double post.

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    1/8" and up is too thick for a wood circular saw. That being said, I have cut THOUSANDS of feet of 26ga steel sheeting with my makita 7 1/4 circular saw. If you can find them, the Tenryu metal cutting blades are much better and last longer than the steel demon. For wood though, every one of my saws has a red diablo blade on it.

For 1/8" up to 1 1/2" bar grating I use my Champion metal cutting saw. http://www.championcuttingtool.com/pdf/rs725.pdf

my only complaint is that is uses a blade with a weirdo 20mm arbor hole.

Leave a comment:

• gtsuper
    replied
    Steel cutting saw

I have the saw listed below, I cut 1/2" mild steel with it a lot. It will cut bigger but I haven't done it yet. The key is lock a straight edge on the edge for a guide so it doesn't bind. Blades are 85 buck or so and use the manfact recommended. It has saved me lots of time!!

Milwaukee 6370-21 13 Amp 8-Inch Metal Cutting Circular Saw.

Leave a comment:

• GilNewWelder
    replied
    Originally posted by BD1 View Post
    What gauge or thickness are you cutting ? I bought the HF STEEL cutting circular saw and it is good. I don't need the big buck real saws so the HF it was. I got it for around 60.00 with coupon and it paid for its self already. I was going to buy the Milwaukee but it would have been almost 200.00 more. I used it for cutting 12 and 18 gauge plus 1/4" plate. I cannot complain. If you need it every day then go for a real steel cutting saw. good luck
    Mostly 1/8", but want to do some skid plates for my Jeep and those will be 3/16" maybe 1/4" no bigger than that.

Leave a comment:

• umahunter
    replied
    hmm

not sure bout the power of that saw i was talking about one of these skill mag77 worm drive http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...E_3MUoxcmV4C5w

Leave a comment:

• BD1
    replied
    What gauge or thickness are you cutting ? I bought the HF STEEL cutting circular saw and it is good. I don't need the big buck real saws so the HF it was. I got it for around 60.00 with coupon and it paid for its self already. I was going to buy the Milwaukee but it would have been almost 200.00 more. I used it for cutting 12 and 18 gauge plus 1/4" plate. I cannot complain. If you need it every day then go for a real steel cutting saw. good luck

Leave a comment:

• GilNewWelder
    replied
    Originally posted by umahunter View Post
    don't know about those two but a skill mag77 with a carbide tipped blade will cut right through 1/2inch ply and a steel sawhorse like butter don't ask how i know
    I found an old SKIL SAW, will get a nice blade and try

Leave a comment:

Working...
X