Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Bit
    replied
    Lookin' good. Consistency is probably the most difficult thing to master when you're learning....... and teaching. On your verts; faster across the middle and point the electrode into the parent metal with a short pause on the sides. Everyone figures out what works best for them in time but you might also try moving faster horizontally with less upward progression. Hope this makes sense, kinda hard to explain on a keyboard!

Leave a comment:

• DiabolicaL
    replied
    our instructors have said flat position welding would be the hardest to bend without cracking due to the fact that theres much more of a chance for slag to get trapped in the toes of the weld .. slag inclusion .. which of course will aid in the cracking process

but knowning them all is useful and fun to do i find

we are doing GMAW welding now, it's pretty neat

been practicing some Vertical Up fillet welds
    feel free to add comments or constructive criticism

(i never knocked off the little bits of slag that is visible)

Leave a comment:

• stanman309
    replied
    im currently going to school as well 2 quarters in and i didnt know they did bend tests on anything but verticle and direct overhead. the flat just seems trivial but i guess every schools different.

Leave a comment:

• shorerider16
    replied
    Did my first bend test today, 1G open root, 6010 root and hot passes with 7018 fill and caps. Talk about nerve wracking waiting for it to be bent, in front of the whole class. Turned out well though.

Leave a comment:

• Ls2cam
    replied
    No crack on bent?? No!!!
    Congrats give you a beer..Keep up practice!!!

Originally posted by DiabolicaL View Post
    heres some more random pictures

These are the CWB practice pieces in all positions, before and after being bent

Pieces Bent, no Breaks

Leave a comment:

• DiabolicaL
    replied
    first year yeh

i have never touched a welder / oxyacet setup / gougers / plasmas arc cutters at all before this year

its fun

Leave a comment:

• arc
    replied
    looks not to bad. this ur first year? the welds are coming along good you just have to work on being more consistent in ur timing and travel upwards but 4 a first year thats pretty darn nice. keep on buring that rod and ull have it in no time.

Leave a comment:

• DiabolicaL
    replied
    a Circle i cut using the plasma arc cutter

The thing i dont like, which i was aware of while i was doing it,
    is i held the torch on an offset of a few degrees, in the same direction the whole way around

i never adjusted my wrist or the torch to create a taper inward the whole way around

i'll practice this soon, seems awkward but fun to try

Leave a comment:

• Devious1
    replied
    Looks nice, if you passed the bend test without any cracks then your well on your way! The reason why I asked about your school, was because I also attended a two year welding program and the shop looked eerily familiar, with the cubicles and all... You don't happen to attend BCTC do you?

Leave a comment:

• DiabolicaL
    replied
    heres some more random pictures

These are the CWB practice pieces in all positions, before and after being bent

Pieces Bent, no Breaks

Leave a comment:

• DiabolicaL
    replied
    This is a 7018 weave over the weave pictured above

some more pics tomorrow maybe

Leave a comment:

• DiabolicaL
    replied
    Thanks for the comments

I was waiting for the soon to be journeypersons to finish using the machine so i could use the Arc Gouger to gouge off the backing plate for overhead and vertical CWB practice tests...

so i grabbed some scrap from the bins and did some vertical practice

feel free to leave opinions or constructive criticism

Vertical 7018 Weave1

-------------------------
    Last edited by DiabolicaL; 02-21-2008, 10:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Devious1
    replied
    Your getting there, but if your only a half of a year in , you still got alot of rod left to burn

ps. what school do you attend, it looks familar.

Leave a comment:

• tacmig
    replied
    gets better..

Looks like maybe you were in a hurry traveling upward on your vertical, but things got better as you went along as the photos show! Looks great!

TacMig

Leave a comment:

• weldone
    replied
    Not bad at all..I can see youre paying attention
    Try welding with the wrist and not the arms you'll gain more control. Especially on the verts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X