Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lgjhn
    replied
    Thanks guys....It was late when I took the pics and resizing was the last thing on my mind....sorrry bout that.
    That 2" receiver hitch material is pretty hard stuff compared to just regular mild steel. I bought a couple of pieces of it for use on the table. 2" tube fits in it pretty good for this application. Anytime I've mounted a vice to a table directly, it always seems to eventually get in the way of something I'm working on. This way, I can take it off, move it to the other side, etc. This new table is 48" X 50" and probably STILL not big enough...
    Last edited by lgjhn; 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jjsjeff
    replied
    I'll be stealing this idea and making sure the tube is the same size as the receiver hitch on my truck.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• DSW
    replied
    Very nice work. I'm going to be building a vise support for my new truck. Never thought of pulling the base off the vise for a patern and yet I patern cut all the time. Think I'll give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• MilwaukeeMike
    replied
    excellent work, definately need to do that soon!

Leave a comment:

• bryce_burden
    replied
    Looks good, I was gonna do something similar with my vice but got in a hurry and needed it mounted one day so just blew holes in the table top and bolted it down. My table is only 3x3, and i cuss myself everyday for not making it bigger. At the time it seemed big enough, but as I get more into larger projects, I find myself on the floor again, guess its time for a new one.

Leave a comment:

• welderman23
    replied
    good job on that there thingy right there

nex time you should resize your pics

Leave a comment:

• lgjhn
    started a topic Table Vice Support

Table Vice Support

I also posted this over on the Hobart site, but thought some of my True Blue friends might wanna look/see too.

I'm in the middle of building a new welding table (which will be the topic of a future post) but the table is utilizing 2" receiver pieces in key areas for supporting a plasma cutting tray, vise, etc.
    Over the weekend, I did the vice support. Now, some of the old guys on here could whip one of these up in a matter of minutes, but I'm a little slower.
    Here is the vice and the receiver:

Here are the parts: The plate was plasma cut using the cheapo chinese Parker plasma cutter from some scrap 3/16" stuff I had laying around. I actually removed the base section of the vice and used it as the actual torch guide for the plasma cutter, then cleaned/touched it up on a Wilton 4200A. The 4 triangular pieces are scrap from 45 degree cuts on some 1" angle I did for the frame for the plasma cutting section that I'm building for the table.

Here they are welded out:

And here is everything primed/painted, fitted and installed on the table:

This is nothing fancy but it was a nice little welding project over the weekend plus it put me one step closer to finishing my table.
Working...
X