X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lgjhn
    • Jan 2006

Table Vice Support

I also posted this over on the Hobart site, but thought some of my True Blue friends might wanna look/see too.

I'm in the middle of building a new welding table (which will be the topic of a future post) but the table is utilizing 2" receiver pieces in key areas for supporting a plasma cutting tray, vise, etc.
    Over the weekend, I did the vice support. Now, some of the old guys on here could whip one of these up in a matter of minutes, but I'm a little slower.
    Here is the vice and the receiver:

Here are the parts: The plate was plasma cut using the cheapo chinese Parker plasma cutter from some scrap 3/16" stuff I had laying around. I actually removed the base section of the vice and used it as the actual torch guide for the plasma cutter, then cleaned/touched it up on a Wilton 4200A. The 4 triangular pieces are scrap from 45 degree cuts on some 1" angle I did for the frame for the plasma cutting section that I'm building for the table.

Here they are welded out:

And here is everything primed/painted, fitted and installed on the table:

This is nothing fancy but it was a nice little welding project over the weekend plus it put me one step closer to finishing my table.

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
    Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
    Miller Spectrum 125C
    Victor O/A
    Parker Plasma 40
  • welderman23
    • Nov 2007

good job on that there thingy right there

nex time you should resize your pics
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Comment

• bryce_burden
      • Nov 2007

Looks good, I was gonna do something similar with my vice but got in a hurry and needed it mounted one day so just blew holes in the table top and bolted it down. My table is only 3x3, and i cuss myself everyday for not making it bigger. At the time it seemed big enough, but as I get more into larger projects, I find myself on the floor again, guess its time for a new one.
      At Home
      Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
      Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
      Craftsman Hand Tools
      Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
      1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
      1980 Ford F150 Custom
      1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
      Miller Bobcat 250
      2 Miller MM251s
      2 Miller MM252s
      Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
      Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
      Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

Comment

• MilwaukeeMike
        • Feb 2008

excellent work, definately need to do that soon!
        Millermatic 210

Comment

• DSW
          • Feb 2008

Very nice work. I'm going to be building a vise support for my new truck. Never thought of pulling the base off the vise for a patern and yet I patern cut all the time. Think I'll give it a try.

Comment

• jjsjeff
            • May 2007

I'll be stealing this idea and making sure the tube is the same size as the receiver hitch on my truck.

Thanks!

Comment

• lgjhn
              • Jan 2006

Thanks guys....It was late when I took the pics and resizing was the last thing on my mind....sorrry bout that.
              That 2" receiver hitch material is pretty hard stuff compared to just regular mild steel. I bought a couple of pieces of it for use on the table. 2" tube fits in it pretty good for this application. Anytime I've mounted a vice to a table directly, it always seems to eventually get in the way of something I'm working on. This way, I can take it off, move it to the other side, etc. This new table is 48" X 50" and probably STILL not big enough...
              Last edited by lgjhn; 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM.

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
              Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
              Miller Spectrum 125C
              Victor O/A
              Parker Plasma 40

Comment

Working...
              X