Stacking Miller Synchrowave 180 SD Tig on top of Millermatic 251

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacking Miller Synchrowave 180 SD Tig on top of Millermatic 251

I just bought a Syncrowave 180 SD. It weighs in at 240lb. I already own a millermatic 251 that weighs in at 214 lb. Plus my accessories, spoolgun, wires, inverter style plasma cutter and blah blah blah. Lack of space in my shop and common gas tanks means these are getting stacked. I already has a nice factory double tank cart that came with my millermatic. My question, should I build the frame onto the millermatic's factory frame or build an exoskeleton frame around the millermatic to hold the syncrowave and plasma, therefore transfer the weight to the base cart?

Also has anyone hardwired their units together so there is only one plug for the whole apparatus?

This is just for the frame work, I plan on have drawers and cubbys and holders.

• Joey-D
    replied
    I appreciate the input on the wheels. I will definitely look into that.

Leave a comment:

• diverbill45
    replied
    Looks like you used the original wheels that came off the 251 to put on the back of your new cart. Word of caution: those wheels were designed to be used on the 251 only. I added the twin bottle rack to my 251 and with the weight of two large bottles of gas, those wheels will give out pretty quickly. Just ask me how I know. You've not only added the weight of 2 bottles, but also the weight of that other welder and the weight of the new frame. With everything you have on that cart I'd say that you've pretty much tripled the weight on those same wheels. I'd highly recommend that you invest in some heavy duty rear wheels for that setup, or your investment wil, more than likely, come crashing down rather quickly. Those wheels aren't steel, at least mine weren't and mine looked just like yours, they're just made of a hard rubber/plastic combination and were never designed for that much weight.
    Last edited by diverbill45; 06-04-2012, 01:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    Rolls great. Not too heavy. Only thing I wish I would have done differently is mount the plasma cutter higher or atleast put the cords elsewhere. They get in the way of my drawers.

Leave a comment:

• plasmashooter
    replied
    I really like it. Nice work.
    How hard is it to roll?

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    That is ace hardware's safety blue. I couldn't find rustoleum safety blue which was recommended but this was close enough. And thanks. As I get a little older (27), I start to realize that I should take my time, especially on something I will own for the rest of my life. Don't wanna look back in 25 years and be like, "That lazy bum."

Leave a comment:

• Drf255
    replied
    Great job. What paint did you use? Color code?

Leave a comment:

• Tundra08
    replied
    Nice

That is a nice looking cart.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    Well she is almost done. I need to brake form the drawers that go under the mig on the plasma side. But since I haven't ordered a brake yet, its kinda hard to finish. Here are a couple highlights of the build.

-As much as it made me cringe, I had to plasma cut the tank rack off of the back of my millermatic.
    -The 251 and 180 are wire together plus an outlet on the back of the 180 to plug the plasma cutter in. I decided not to hard wire the plasma, or bolt it down for that matter, because it is so nice and portable. This whole apparatus only requires 1 plug in to make all 3 units have power.
    -The 251 and 180 have the grounds wired together. The ground out of the 180 goes up to the 251 and then a 30' ground and clamp come out of there. The only problem with that is if I ever have the 251 on and the 180 arc welding in reverse polarity and I welding out both machines simultaneously. A situation that will never happen.
    -Everything else is pretty obviously as far as organization.
    -This 1 day build became a 4 and I still have to make the drawers. Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    I use mix for steel but I use argon for tig aluminum and for the spoolmatic aluminum mig gun I have. The 251 has a single bottle holder build into the frame, for the double bottle rack, the single sleeves into a double. This is the only picture I have with me, but you can see where it would have sleeved in.

Leave a comment:

• flukecej
    replied
    Originally posted by Joey-D View Post
    I started the rack today. I did end up putting the syncro on bottom. The 251 has an integrated bottle holder on it, so I will literally have to cut the rear of the 251 frame off.

Someone mentioned not using the same shielding gas. My spool gun and tigging aluminum both use argon. I will post some pictures when I am done with the racks.
    You should be able to unbolt the bottle support on the 251, unless it is one piece with the lower pan/frame of the welder. I highly doubt that because you can buy a two bottle rack or lower bottle rack and attach it to the full size mig machines that the 251 is.

The 251 MIG should be using Pure CO2 or Steel Mix of Argon and CO2 for welding steel. You do not weld steel with PURE Argon, or most people don't. This is why you would have two bottles. I don't know exactly how the 251 works but the 252 is supposed to have a trigger select in it and will power either the spool gun or mig depending on which trigger is pulled. Correct me if I'm wrong but with the right setup, that might even select the right valve for the correct gas solenoid valve to provide the correct gas to the Spool Gun or MIG. I don't that much about tig, but I would imagine you would use different gasses while tigging alum vs. steel.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    I started the rack today. I did end up putting the syncro on bottom. The 251 has an integrated bottle holder on it, so I will literally have to cut the rear of the 251 frame off.

Someone mentioned not using the same shielding gas. My spool gun and tigging aluminum both use argon. I will post some pictures when I am done with the racks.

Leave a comment:

• flukecej
    replied
    Flip your stack order.

A better idea on the stacking, put the 251 on top. The 180SD is wider and heavier and doesn't have any access ports or panels that would require excess spacing between machines. You would still be able to access the wire panel on the 251 without it being to high. Best to have the weight and width at the bottom and keeping the center of gravity lower as well. Also, you can fit a twin bottle rack on the rear and fix it like some of Miller's that make the platform close to the ground.
    Plus, removing the current running gear from the machines and using good quality casters mounted the corners as suggested will help lower the overall rack height.
    Your idea of the single cord to two plugs on the machine cart, that is a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• BD1
    replied
    Hi, here's what I did with my 180SD . The CST 280 is above it and have space for the MILLER 211 to go along side it. Just didn't buy it yet. I have the same situation, TO many goodies! But you can never have enough!Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000302for web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	512314
    Last edited by BD1; 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X