X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKSTA46
    • Jan 2008

Tungston Grinding Tool

What type of equipment does everyone use to grind the tip of the tongston electrode. Do you spend the money on those expensive grinders or would a simple small bench belt sander do. Thank you for any suggestions
  • Laiky
    • Mar 2006

I have found that a diamond lapidary wheel, often called a flat lap works best for me. Available from ebay buty is the seller for about 40 bucks. You just enlarge the hole in the middle and mount it outboard of your grinding wheel on a bench grinder. 40 bucks, diamond grinding and a perfectly flat taper on your tungsten, not to mention fast too. It cuts fast enough that you don't even need to snap off contamiated points, just grind them away!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

• TS-Off-Road
      • Jan 2007

Bench grinder - same one I sharpen drill bits on. Works for me.

Comment

• handirod
        • Feb 2007

tungsten grinder.........

hello,

just because some of my welds are x-rayed, and i've heard so many times that you can actually contaminate your tungsten by using other methods so this is why i went ahead & bought a Piranha 2 with no regrets. if i remember correctly, i believe it was almost $700 though. i was able to write it off on my taxes, but still it would have been $450...? kinda hard to justify that expence if your a weekend warrier...? but like my daddy always told me, "if i want it, i've justified it!" but i think he lives life pay check to pay check, but he does has alot cool stuff!!! LOL anyway, i'm just one of them types that if i'm welding, i want to WELD and the last thing i want to do is stop and sharpen tungten. so i have plenty of tungten all ready perfectly sharpened ready to go. & then i drink a beer & sharpen all of my tungten each evening at home. well, maybe more then just a beer. i have nothing to compare my Piranha 2 with, but it does an outstanding job with no complaints from me! this is where i bought it: http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php? main_page=index&cPath=15_167&zenid=8874aa34de31ca8 c5158b16d8acbbbb0
        well, wait a second, i bought my dad a Sharpie & i used it a little bit and i really liked it as well. its smaller, a little bit slower, but it is so much more portable. & at about half the price. but again, i bought a ton of tungsten so i don't even take my Piranha 2 to the job site. if you do some digging, this topic has been talked about a bunch with these guys that do alot of tigging! hope i helped ya & good luck to you! rodney

Comment

• c neck
          • Dec 2007

pen vise

i use this with a bench grinder
          Attached Files

Comment

• triggerman
            • Dec 2005

Sharpening tungsten

I bought a set of diamond wheels at harbor freight for about $8 and run it off my DeWalt cordless die grinder. It does a great job, its portable and I ONLY use it for tungsten.
            Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
            Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
            Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
            CST-250
            HF-15 High frequency
            XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
            Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Comment

• radrod57
              • Jan 2008

What grit wheel on the lapidary wheel?

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
              I have found that a diamond lapidary wheel, often called a flat lap works best for me. Available from ebay buty is the seller for about 40 bucks. You just enlarge the hole in the middle and mount it outboard of your grinding wheel on a bench grinder. 40 bucks, diamond grinding and a perfectly flat taper on your tungsten, not to mention fast too. It cuts fast enough that you don't even need to snap off contamiated points, just grind them away!
              What grit wheel on the lapidary wheel?

Thanks

Comment

• Laiky
                • Mar 2006

i don't really remember, some where around 360? I also have a 1000 that i heve yet to mount. I figured i could give diamond ground a run for their money!
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Millermatic 175
                Spectrum 375
                All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

• DKSTA46
                  • Jan 2008

Thank you to all that have replied to my thread. You've been a lot of help. Thanks again

Comment

• Heavy D
                    • Sep 2007

One more tip put the tugeston in a cordless drill and use flapper wheel on bench grinder gives you a very even and tight point and its fast

Comment

• Tom C
                      • Feb 2008

Sharpening tungsten

Kid ...........Ya goTta be kidding meeeeeeeee?????????? Never mind looking for a tool or someone else to do it for you ( YA MUSTA LEARN THAT CONCEPT IN HC ).............GET A SIMPLE 6 " ( OR 8 " ) BENCH GRINDER ........... USE THE SIDE OF THE WHHEL TO SHARPEN THAT EINNIE WENIE PIECE OF CARBIDE TO A POINT .............DDDDDUUUUHHHHHHHHH........SIMPLE..... ....

Comment

• tnjind
                        • Oct 2007

I used to use my bench grinder but the tungsten ate the wheel up pretty quick, plus the bouncing would keep me from making a nice sharp, clean point.
                        I now use my belt sander and most recently use the drill also, it is always handy anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X