So you think your wife is hard on stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willy
    • Dec 2006

So you think your wife is hard on stuff?

The wife and I took off work a little early on Friday to get the lawn mowed before the weekend. I was almost finished with my side when she comes up to me and says shes pretty much done and she was going into town to pick up the kids....and "oh ya - the mower is making a funny noise - I think something is rubbing"
    Attached Files
  • morgaj1
    • Jun 2011

Nicely done. How did she manage to break the frame?

Comment

• willy
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by morgaj1 View Post
      Nicely done. How did she manage to break the frame?
      I'll never know. In her defense, it was probably a long time in the making as some of the cracked frame had rust on it so it had been broke for some time. But - when that mower is running its full throttle and going as fast as it will go

Comment

• CharleyL
        • May 2009

My wife drives her car like that - if it will still go forward, she will. If I don't take it for an inspection ride and check the oil every week or so, she will kill it before she tells me anything is going wrong with it. " Oh that noise? It's been happening for a week or so. Is that bad?" She has burned up 2 engines so far.

That was a good save on the mower.

Charley
        2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
        2 O/A torch sets
        DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
        DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
        DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
        Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
        Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
        Milwaukee 9" Grinder
        2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
        Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
        Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
        Too many hand tools

Comment

• strube1369
          • Nov 2008

I'm thinkin' it might be easier to mow the whole thing yourself... "No thanks, Hon, I like to mow..."
          Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
          Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Comment

• fjk
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by strube1369 View Post
            I'm thinkin' it might be easier to mow the whole thing yourself... "No thanks, Hon, I like to mow..."
            You need to check your priorities my friend

A day out sweating under the hot sun, getting coated in dirt and grass and
            dust and what not, being eaten by bugs, going round and round in never
            ending circles, with someone telling me i forgot to do that area over there
            and look out for the rose bushes and ...

OR

A day in the workshop turning junk into something very useful,
            getting an excuse to go purchase a new tool or two as well as raw materials,
            parts, consumables, and so on, with some good music of choice playing in the
            background (or the game on TV over in the corner) and a cool drink (of water!)
            just step or two away... And then being proclaimed "My Hero!" for saving the
            day...

I'd go for #2 every time

(Btw, looks like a nice fix Willy)
            Frank

Comment

• Markswelding
              • Dec 2010

NIce fix

Next time I would come back with the old push mower, maybe that'll slow her down

Comment

• gwiley
                • Jun 2010

You my friend have a good thing going! Your wife mows the yard for crying out loud - stop and think about that. She mows the freaking yard!

I don't understand doing anything that might discourage her. Fix that mower as well as you can (maybe tweak the throttle a little).

Comment

• strube1369
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by fjk View Post
                  You need to check your priorities my friend

A day out sweating under the hot sun, getting coated in dirt and grass and
                  dust and what not, being eaten by bugs, going round and round in never
                  ending circles, with someone telling me i forgot to do that area over there
                  and look out for the rose bushes and ...

OR

A day in the workshop turning junk into something very useful,
                  getting an excuse to go purchase a new tool or two as well as raw materials,
                  parts, consumables, and so on, with some good music of choice playing in the
                  background (or the game on TV over in the corner) and a cool drink (of water!)
                  just step or two away... And then being proclaimed "My Hero!" for saving the
                  day...

I'd go for #2 every time

(Btw, looks like a nice fix Willy)
                  Frank
                  I stand (sit) corrected...
                  Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
                  Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Comment

• justracn15
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by strube1369 View Post

I went with that method years ago!

Comment

• Bistineau
                      • May 2011

The only mowing equipment my ole lady uses anymore is the Weedeater, and then only after I put on the string, gas it up and start it for her. Thing is she can't outlast a full tank of gas.

Comment

• dan land
                        • Oct 2011

My wife mows and knows how to use the weed eater..... I stop her at the chainsaw though

Comment

• GilaSlim
                          • Oct 2007

Women with Chainsaws

My wife has two chainsaws she bought before we were married. She needed them for maintaining the trees on 2.5 acres of mostly horse pasture, with shade trees in the corners.

A few years ago, she was working with her pastor and a dozen other men, putting up a big Christmas display in the pastor's back yard. Couple of trees needed trimming so several thousand visitors a day could use the walkway to view the displays. Pastor asked, "Can anybody run a chainsaw?" After a minute of everybody looking around and nobody volunteering, Debbie put her hand up. "I can."

When the day was done, she had earned a new nickname around the church - "Chainsaw Deb."

A couple years later, we had to clear all the trees from 1.5 miles of right-of-way so the power company could bring in a power line to our 80 acre farm. Deb and I and three neighbors spent four solid days taking down trees, cutting them into firewood, hauling branches and a few stumps out of the way with a compact tractor. Those guys never thought a woman could handle an 18" Husqvarna with such panache.

And she mows the pasture too.
                          Last edited by GilaSlim; 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Burnt hands
                            • Dec 2007

GilaSlim,

You have a wonderful, talented wife many men would sell their soul for.

My favorite female welder/fabricator is Scottie from Mythbusters.

She tig welds, burns, and has many technical skills I lack.
                            On one of the episodes as I understand, the Mythbusters needed a BIG ramp to drive ( or launch) a car from at high speed.

Scottie simply (ha) took a 40 foot steel shipping container and cut it on the diagonal to make 2 "wedges". I believe she used oxy-acetylene equipment for this. She then welded the two "wedges" together to make the car launch ramp.
                            Very clever idea which I would never have thought of.

We need more women in this field.

Maybe this calls for another thread to showcase female welders/fabricators/artists.
                            Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Working...
                            X