X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toecutter
    replied
    Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
    Check you hood for "leaks".....hold it up to a light or towards the sun etc.....check to see if any light is coming it around the lens....some have had this problem....another thing about the HF hood is it's short.....what I mean is the bottom part doesn't go down as far as others do so watch the angle of your head.....and a bright colored shirt can reflect under the hood and cause what happened to you.....I have the Northern tool cheap helmet as well as a Hobart....they both work fine the Hobart is more comfortable to wear and is clearer......the NT doesn't need to be turned on so I like that as I have a few times forgot to turn on the Hobart.....no worries as Broccoli stated you are protected in the "clear" stage....

will do so Zmike.
    I suspect now that you mention it, that might be a problem if it were leaking in that manner.
    all in all as I said the bargain hood performed well. course I was trying to use the insert glass for a standard hood at first, just the glass!! kinna hard to tack with the right hand and hold the glass with the left. ( bad practises I know)

+1 for the HF hood

Leave a comment:

• I Bleed Blue
    replied
    Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    So, Miller's 69.00 hood is bad for us?
    Hey I can't even believe this is a topic of disscussion. If you can't afford the best maybe they should try wood working I hear its cheaper.Hee Hee

Leave a comment:

• weweld
    replied
    I would buy the best one you could afford. You can never be too cheap when it comes to protecting your eyes. Some of the Auto Darkening helmets have a hard time adjusting to the light when your looking at the sun.
    I'm known alot people who have Speedglass helmets and love them.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post

ITS ONLY YOUR EYES! YOU ONLY GET ONE PAIR!

Remember weld damage doesn't show up the next day it takes year.

I know these guys are tring to save a buck but do it on something else.
    So, Miller's 69.00 hood is bad for us?

Leave a comment:

• I Bleed Blue
    replied
    Hey If you wire driectly from the pole to your welder you cna save a bunch of money on those worthless breakers. Or better yet you could put some foil belween the welder and the leads off the power pole.

Hey are any of you guys related to the guy who built this?? http://www.millerwelds.com/education...ead.php?t=2488

ITS ONLY YOUR EYES! YOU ONLY GET ONE PAIR!

Remember weld damage doesn't show up the next day it takes year.

Hee Hee just messing with Yall. I know these guys are tring to save a buck but do it on something else.

Leave a comment:

• stronics
    replied
    I have a new Miller that I was worried about getting damaged in the shop so I bought a used one (unknown mfg) at a garage sale for $25. It looked like new so I thought I'd give it a try. It has a push "ON" button on the left outside and a dial to set the dark shade next to it. It has a delay and sensitivity setting on the inside, uses two "AAA's".
    Its now the only one I use, I love it.
    I've seen them at my local welding supply for $67. Grizzly has them for $27 the last time I looked, same hood. Even the headgear is as good as my Miller.
    It has a gold color to it that seems to make the puddle easier to see.
    Go figure.
    David

Leave a comment:

• KEENAVV
    replied
    Optrel---died $250+ 4 years
    HF $49 stillworks
    Miller BWE elete $250 No better than the HF

Leave a comment:

• I Bleed Blue
    replied
    Originally posted by Clavacle View Post
    I have a speed glass and I wouldn't use anything else, definetly worth the extra money. Alot of people go with the Harbor frieight $50 and don't have any problems, but I spent the money over three years ago for the speed glass and it's paid for itself more than once over.
    Oh Listen to this Guy!! I Have a Speed Glass 9000x and its the best helment I ever had.
    Its worth the money.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    Good

Fast

Cheap

pick any two.
    HF = 59.00
    Miller = 109.00

50 bux just to put their name on the hood.

Hop Sing makes both

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Good

Fast

Cheap

pick any two.

Leave a comment:

• 84ZMike
    replied
    Check you hood for "leaks".....hold it up to a light or towards the sun etc.....check to see if any light is coming it around the lens....some have had this problem....another thing about the HF hood is it's short.....what I mean is the bottom part doesn't go down as far as others do so watch the angle of your head.....and a bright colored shirt can reflect under the hood and cause what happened to you.....I have the Northern tool cheap helmet as well as a Hobart....they both work fine the Hobart is more comfortable to wear and is clearer......the NT doesn't need to be turned on so I like that as I have a few times forgot to turn on the Hobart.....no worries as Broccoli stated you are protected in the "clear" stage....

Leave a comment:

• toecutter
    replied
    the Harbor frieight $50 and don't have any problems,
    Aye!!

so far anyways. I even got that there warranty, 9 bucks for 2 years

my first project was a hand rail for my front steps. I did a decent job thanks to my MM180. the hood performed well, however as a young whippersnapper I used to stick weld and got arc burn several times....Man!!!
    that's some kinda of hurting you never forget, so I feel I should mention this.I'm still a noob so I may not have had the setting right but,
    after working on the rail, that night my eyes felt kinna weird. I thought damm!! that F'nn hood didn't work, Imma be in a world of hurt tonight.

I'm happy to say tho, no arc burn , slept like a baby.is it possible that maybe the cheap ones allow some arc heat to still get past the lense? maybe thats one of the differences between a 50 dollar job and a 180 dollar one, I don't know

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Miller sells helmets that range from 69.00 (Non AD) and 109.00
    for their entry level AD hood up to 329.00 for the Elite

I'm pretty sure the 69.00 hood protects just as good as their 329.00 hood

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy D View Post
    Don't take chances with your eyes spend the money and get a good one. I like the jackson hoods you only get one pair of eyes
    A cheap hood is going to protect yer eyes just as good. The clear state protects UV anyway.

A set of safety glasses also protects yer eyes from UV.

The price difference is about comfort and options.

I have a HF Hood and an Optrel

The one thing I have read about the HF hoods and say a 130.00 Miller or Hobart hood is the clarity through the lens.

Leave a comment:

• Clavacle
    replied
    I have a speed glass and I wouldn't use anything else, definetly worth the extra money. Alot of people go with the Harbor frieight $50 and don't have any problems, but I spent the money over three years ago for the speed glass and it's paid for itself more than once over.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X