X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KBar
    replied
    Originally posted by arrowside View Post
    I can actually smell the smell and my eyes water when I think about the time that I was getting ready to start a vert. down on some 12ga. galvanized and when I pulled the trigger, it just sort of "popped", and it all landed INSIDE my ear. Oh, trust me, you haven't lived until you've done that.
    Sounds painful, not sure I want that to happen, I wear hearing aids in both ears, not only would it sizzle and burn, Dr Bob would be peeling plastic and rubber off my ear drum.

Leave a comment:

• arrowside
    replied
    I can actually smell the smell and my eyes water when I think about the time that I was getting ready to start a vert. down on some 12ga. galvanized and when I pulled the trigger, it just sort of "popped", and it all landed INSIDE my ear. Oh, trust me, you haven't lived until you've done that.

Leave a comment:

• KBar
    replied
    Originally posted by GMAN View Post
    heat cutting a 2x4 , dont know how a piece of molten metal went straight inside my boot !!!!

I FELT THAT IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO UNTIE IT AND YANK IT OFF

ended up with a dime size charbroiled skin burn
    I dont know what hurts worse, that or the Dr digging the metal out.

Human skin burning is the worst smell in the world.

Leave a comment:

• GMAN
    replied
    heat cutting a 2x4 , dont know how a piece of molten metal went straight inside my boot !!!!

I FELT THAT IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO UNTIE IT AND YANK IT OFF

ended up with a dime size charbroiled skin burn

Leave a comment:

• migman69
    replied
    oops thats a ddozie, well today first day of class i grabbed a piece of hot plat andburnt the **** outta my finger whoops im a dummy.

Leave a comment:

• diamondback
    replied
    Burns come and go, I was welding outside in 20 below and had my carhart jacket on over bibs and all. I caught my arm on fire and wasn't even aware of it until my buddy slaps my head.

Worked with another guy, great welder. He lost his left arm as a kid on the farm and had a operational hook that he strapped around his shoulders to work. Had to grind him off the table once, he was tig welding and feeding with the hook when he touched the filler to the electrode and went to ground.

Leave a comment:

• migman69
    replied
    Originally posted by c wagner View Post
    I learned one day while tigging that if a hot filler rod slips outta your hands... don't try to catch it. I caught it just fine, however, the hot end burned into my neck about a 1/4" inch... felt deeper than that!
    ouch i bet that felt good.

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    I learned one day while tigging that if a hot filler rod slips outta your hands... don't try to catch it. I caught it just fine, however, the hot end burned into my neck about a 1/4" inch... felt deeper than that!

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Mom was nearby and heard my exclamation of [email protected], no not shoot, all she did was laugh and say your dad must have taught you that.

LOL

Leave a comment:

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    I haven't had nor do I wish to have the hot slag in the eye treatment, but I have done all the others. I will never forget back in '72 when I was 12 I flipped the red hot tip of an o/a rod I was welding with down and it went right through my shirt and into my belly. Mom was nearby and heard my exclamation of [email protected], no not shoot, all she did was laugh and say your dad must have taught you that.

Leave a comment:

• migman69
    replied
    well this happend to my friend

she was tiging something and laid the hot stinger right on her you know what in her lap and noticed it when her pants were smoking and she was burnt bad

Leave a comment:

• welderman23
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeswelding View Post
    Back in 1971 or '72 I was welding structural steel about 50 feet above the ground. The only fall protection we had then was detemined by how tight our leg (and sometimes sphincter) muscles could attach us to the wideflange.

I felt what seemed to be an unusually large piece of splatter go down my glove and back of my hand. Happens all the time, good bead going, ignore it. The backs of my hands looked like I had chicken pox anyway.

Then it worked its way down to my index finger and proceded to burn through the nail and into the quick. My hood went one way, my stinger went the other way, and then I remembered where I was. That's when my sphincter took over and kept me attached to the wideflange.

i feel your pain. i was hanging upside down from a rope, threes stories up welding channel to a chunk of i beam ,for a oversized neon sign.
    the hot stuff went under my hood and landed on my chin .i almost dropped the three foot piece of channel .it looked like a cigarette was held on my chin
    i couldnt weld it from the top because of the wall stubbed out a little

...when i was putting up steel buildings i used to use tension cables as ziplines...

Leave a comment:

• mikeswelding
    replied
    ooch!

Back in 1971 or '72 I was welding structural steel about 50 feet above the ground. The only fall protection we had then was detemined by how tight our leg (and sometimes sphincter) muscles could attach us to the wideflange.

I felt what seemed to be an unusually large piece of splatter go down my glove and back of my hand. Happens all the time, good bead going, ignore it. The backs of my hands looked like I had chicken pox anyway.

Then it worked its way down to my index finger and proceded to burn through the nail and into the quick. My hood went one way, my stinger went the other way, and then I remembered where I was. That's when my sphincter took over and kept me attached to the wideflange.

Had to replace the lens, obviously, but I still have the hood. Nowadays, at my age, 5 feet off the ground is too much.

Leave a comment:

• bob_e95482
    replied
    I've ran a hot mig wire right through a leather work glove into my finger. Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    , I was cipping slag with my glasses on and it hit me in the corner of my eye. It stuck in too... The more I tried to dig it out, the further it went in. I went home on that note.... I chip with the hood on now.
    perhaps ya need to rethink your site name.................... .maybe not come to think of it how's the eye now ??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X