X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• youngwelder_154
    started a topic I wish the holes would stop

I wish the holes would stop

Hey everyone, long time no talk I have gone through I think 3 pairs of overalls in the past 4 months, no matter how hard I try my pant legs just keep catching on fire I just got a brand spanking new pair of carhartts and guess what happened gouging a backing strip off my plate today.... ya you guessed it a new hole. I know that I cant really stop the holes from burning through but its just very annoying going out for new overalls every few months. Other then that school couldn't possibly be going any smoother I just my first block release February 4th so that should keep my busy.

• migman69
    replied
    ear muffs may be bulky but they wont melt like ear plugs, i just take a piece of cheap fyresafe welding coat that was in rags and tape it aroun the back of my hood does pretty good at keeping stuff out.

Leave a comment:

• shorerider16
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard View Post
    also you should where ear plugs when welding. . you don't want hot spatter,slag to go down in your ear canal. and yes it will find its way their
    I was welding on a rusted up truck (90% rust, 10% metal) for a friend trying to patch some holes in the frame. Needless to say the Mig did not like all those wonderful oxides and was spitting fireballs everywhere. I was partially laying on my side when a BIG hunk of burning metal/rust landed in my ear, burnt the earplug and left a burn on my ear as well. Without the earplugs It is very possible I would be totally deaf in one ear.

Of course you should always wear earplugs to protect your ears from loud noises, but that is a different topic...

Leave a comment:

• mikeswelding
    replied
    burns

Originally posted by Richard View Post
    also you should where ear plugs when welding. . you don't want hot spatter,slag to go down in your ear canal. and yes it will find its way their
    Yep, hard to imagine , but it happens and hurts like....

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    monte55 Wrap yourself up in tin foil except for your eyes of course.
    i take my eye protection very seriously, i'm covering them too....im not taking any chances of getting hurt.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    .....you can use the sho goo to hold on the foil................

Leave a comment:

• migman69
    replied
    tuin foil thats funny i dont care who you are

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Wrap yourself up in tin foil except for your eyes of course.

Leave a comment:

• arc
    replied
    pick up some leathers and a tube of shoo goo this stuff is awesome. it works good for the seams of ur carharts that get burnt and let go.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    i have seen a leather aprin that splits and snaps aroulnd the legs, top 1/2 (to the knee) only. and it seems like i saw a set of chaps at my LWS. be worth looking into. i think i would buy 2 aprins and make a set of chaps out of them befor spending $300 on a set.

Leave a comment:

• migman69
    replied
    do they sell chaos made for welding or do i really have to invest in the 300 dollar set of hein garet chaps?

Leave a comment:

• Jolly Roger
    replied
    Get used to the idea of going through a lot of clothes if you make this a career. Getting those holes patched as they happen goes a long way toward stopping the flames. When the fray they start easy. Leathers are ok, but the chaps would kill ya down here (I hardly ever wear mine when I ride the 'ol hawg). It was 80 degrees here a couple of days ago. As for the feet try wearing slip on boots. Redwing boots hold up well for me.

Leave a comment:

• tig welder
    replied
    Originally posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    Hey everyone, long time no talk I have gone through I think 3 pairs of overalls in the past 4 months, no matter how hard I try my pant legs just keep catching on fire I just got a brand spanking new pair of carhartts and guess what happened gouging a backing strip off my plate today.... ya you guessed it a new hole. I know that I cant really stop the holes from burning through but its just very annoying going out for new overalls every few months. Other then that school couldn't possibly be going any smoother I just my first block release February 4th so that should keep my busy.
    TRY THE LEATHER CHAPS I GOT MINE BOUT 3YRS AGO AND MY PANTS ARE STILL HOLE FREE

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    i think the boot covers i got were only like $10.oo, that said. there is a lot to thinking about where you are and what your doing to reduce a lot of problems, just the same there is no substitute for proper safety gear. best to get into the habit of using the right safety gear early in your new welding ventures/career. be for long its second nature and you just put it on without thinking about it, kinda like safety glasses. its all part of the big picture for keeping safe. nothing is 100% but no point in pushing your luck aether.
    i had no problem with surfing naked, but welding naked is another story.

Leave a comment:

• AnotherDano
    replied
    Look for a biker standby: Leather Legs.

They cover from the knee to the bootlaces in heavy leather.

Forget the fancy frilly ones and go for the plainest style they have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X