• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aametalmaster
    Chairman Of The Board
    • Sep 2005

Alum horse trailer tongue broke.

Here is my job for Weds, repair this alum horse trailer tongue. I ordered some alum angle and some plates to beef it up. I don't think the trailer was overloaded i mean how many horses can you fit in a 2 horse trailer. So i will post some more pics when done...Bob
    Attached Files
    Bob Wright
  • fun4now
    • Aug 2006

could have been filled with hay ?? no telling what was in it ?? overloaded is always a possibility.
    good luck on the rebuild.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

• aametalmaster
      Chairman Of The Board
      • Sep 2005

Right now the trailer is filled with hamburger buns clear to the roof. Like 1,000 packs of them. Everything looks like a fresh break but there could have been stress cracks from years ago...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

• bill5674
        • Sep 2006

HMMM,horse trailer...hamburger buns ..don`t like the sound of that!

Comment

• tnjind
          • Oct 2007

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

• KBar
            • Jul 2007

Is there a McDonalds in the vicinity or a funny looking guy with big feet in a red suit ?
            Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
            Hobart Handler 187
            Dewalt Chop Saw
            4" Air Grinder
            Die Grinder
            Rigid Drill Press
            Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

• willy
              • Dec 2006

eeek - that is scary once you think about it

Be sure to post pictures of the fix.

I remember quite a few years ago a friend built a small trailer to pull behind his mini-van to haul a bunch of paintball gun gear for tournaments. Another friend of mine and myself questioned his choice of used boat trailer axles (not to mention the crappy way everything was glued together). He said it would be alright, only going to haul a few hundred pounds of gear.
              Well, the dang thing wasnt even painted before he went to pick up a bunch of patio block someone was getting rid of - you know just a 1000lbs or so. He made it about 2 miles before the axle broke. Its still sitting in his yard, 12 years later....

Comment

• abprt
                • Nov 2007

alum. repair

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                Here is my job for Weds, repair this alum horse trailer tongue. I ordered some alum angle and some plates to beef it up. I don't think the trailer was overloaded i mean how many horses can you fit in a 2 horse trailer. So i will post some more pics when done...Bob
                Well it looks like someone else gets the same kind of work that I do. This is where the real world of welding begins. Out of the ideal conditions and into the aged, seperated, and deteriated world of metal repair. It's easy to relate to jobs such as these especially when some brings an aluminum roll back that has had the frame split and covered in grease to where a power cleaner couldn't even cut the grease and then you have to try to bring the broken pieces back together. Good luck from another Buckeye welder.

Comment

• fun4now
                  • Aug 2006

the hamburger bun's make my point. could be using it to pick up pig food. that could be barrels of liquids one day bun's the next, i would not count on the wait restriction being looked at too closely.
                  looking forward to the repair pic's.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

• FM117
                    • Nov 2007

What a POS! At first glance I thought rectangular tubing had failed, then
                    looked at the photos a little closer....who the &%#$ builds a tongue
                    like that?
                    At least you don't have 2 dead horses and some unlucky other dead
                    drivers/passengers. Hope whoever built that has good liability insurance if
                    they were dumb enough to make more then one of em.
                    Dave P.

Comment

• jake
                      • Jul 2007

thats what they get for using a material with no ultimate yield strenth.....

i would imagine fatigue over the years, like said above can only put 2 horses in a 2 horse trailer and 2 of my horses wiegh more than you can cram hay in it.

most of the newer higher end aluminum trailers use a steel tounge.

my 4star has a steel tounge thats huckbolted to the aluminum part of the trailer.

i had a featherlight gooseneck stock trailer break off right above the coupler and smash the back of the cab of my truck when i got in an accendent it stopped 6" behind my head in a crewcab truck. ill never own a featherlight again my 4star is 10x the trailer that one was.
                      DYNASTY 200DX
                      SPECTRUM 625
                      MM 251
                      BWE

Comment

• FarmBoy
                        • Dec 2007

i had to do some repairs to my cattle trailer because this guy at the stock yard that i go to broke one of my doors .
                        the floor is goin out in it too.
                        Jake

Comment

• shorerider16
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jake View Post
                          thats what they get for using a material with no ultimate yield strenth.....

i would imagine fatigue over the years, like said above can only put 2 horses in a 2 horse trailer and 2 of my horses wiegh more than you can cram hay in it.

most of the newer higher end aluminum trailers use a steel tounge.

my 4star has a steel tounge thats huckbolted to the aluminum part of the trailer.

i had a featherlight gooseneck stock trailer break off right above the coupler and smash the back of the cab of my truck when i got in an accendent it stopped 6" behind my head in a crewcab truck. ill never own a featherlight again my 4star is 10x the trailer that one was.
                          Exactly my thought, I wouldn't think aluminum would be very well suited to high stress application over extended periods of time. It will look fine and then out of the blue, snap! With steel at least you should see some stress indicators or have it bend first.

Reminds me of my friends mountain bike, landed a 5 foot drop to flat and the frame peeled clean in half about an inch down from the headtube. Personal experience has shown me that Alum. doesn't like high stress applications like that, which is why things like handlebars get replaced every season even if they still look good.
                          Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 211
                          4' Box and Pan Break
                          IR compressor

Comment

• Jim-TX
                            • Sep 2006

I'm not an engineer but....

.... it's obvious the guy that designed the trailer wasn't either. To fail like it did is an obvious design flaw and the company will be lucky if some lawyer doesn't bankrupt them because of it.
                            Jim

Comment

• DanQweld
                              • Jan 2008

Horse trailor hitch

I would take the whole front hitch part off take some steel stock and go under the trailor if possible and bolt to the exsisting frame if it is AL if not weld to steel if there and fabricate a new stronger hitch system...if not "TIG on dude" DanQweld

Comment

Working...
                              X