Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FusionKing
    replied
    I only work with aluminum and have a plain old Delta 14" that I bought at Lowes.
    I simply put a metal blade on it and it cuts aluminum like butter...the faster speed is great! It has really bean a huge change in the way I make things out of sheet aluminum like diamond plate and such. I love it!
    But for steel it is pure junk For that I use my trusty chi-com 4x6" and a Milwaukie chop saw.

Leave a comment:

• tasslehawf
    replied
    Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    JC,

Since you have a nice wood shop I wouldn't want to use one bandsaw as once you start cuttin' metal the chips will be in the saw fahevah, and also the Lubricant that goes along with cuttin' metal
    Yeah, I would get a dedicated metal saw if you're serious about fabrication. I don't like using verticle bandsaws for metal anyway; just not enough control.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    JC,

Since you have a nice wood shop I wouldn't want to use one bandsaw as once you start cuttin' metal the chips will be in the saw fahevah, and also the Lubricant that goes along with cuttin' metal

Leave a comment:

• jcb
    replied
    Thanks Leons2003,

Great advice in that forum. Sounds like alot of work to properly do a conversion like some of them describe but it answers all of my questions.

Leave a comment:

• Leons2003
    replied
    I aquired an 18" Jet wood saw recently, in reseaching a conversion I found this on practicalmachinist.com, for future reference. Hopes this helps
    Good luck
    L*S

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...rsion+to+metal

Leave a comment:

• tasslehawf
    replied
    The horizontal bandsaws are really the way to go, since the blades are so cheap.

The dry saws are nice for $600, but the blades run out fast. Cold saws last last a long time. Grizzly sells one for ~$1000. Grizzly has a horizontal bandsaw that cuts up to 60 degrees for about $1500. Replacement blades are $20-40.

Leave a comment:

• tnjind
    replied
    Speed is most of it. Most wood saw are not built to handle the stresses of metal cutting puts on it.
    I have a wood saw and I cut sheet steel with it, but it is hard on it non the less.

Also to cut bar type stock an abrasive type saw works, and a cold saw is cool, you don't have to be "rich" to own one. Just keep your eyes open for a bargain.

Leave a comment:

• waiwelser
    replied
    I converted a Powermatic vertical band saw from wood to steel, and it works great. I used a variable speed DC gearmotor from a belt conveyor to slow it down.

Leave a comment:

• tasslehawf
    replied
    A vertical bandsaw is good for cutting 16 ga. sheet (and it's not even really good for that). I would reccomend an abrasive saw or horiz bandsaw. Dry saw or cold saw if you're rich.

Leave a comment:

• jcb
    replied
    I probably wont be welding anything thicker than 1/4 inch or so as I only own a mm180. This will only be for my workshop where I plan to do light fabrication only. I was lookinh at getting a dry cutting chop saw or an inexpensive horizontal band saw but thought I could make use of my floor model bandsaw in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• tasslehawf
    replied
    What are you looking to cut on it?

Leave a comment:

• Kubota8540
    replied
    You'll not only have to change the blade, the speed will have to be reduced as well.

Leave a comment:

• jcb
    started a topic wood cutting VS metal cutting band saws

wood cutting VS metal cutting band saws

I'm slowly getting equiped in metal working. I have a fairly heavy duty floor model 14' band saw. Is it possible to convert this to metal cutting if a metal cutting blade the right lenght can be found ?
Working...
X